Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

USPS Delivery

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

USPS Delivery

Old 12-22-20, 05:04 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
USPS Delivery

Is anyone else experiencing slow or none at all USPS deliveries? I know covid has slowed them down but ups, fedex and amazon seem to be on schedule?
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 12-22-20, 05:06 PM
cloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
you mean something like this.Should of received on the 7th updates say it's still in transit.

High shipping volumes are causing some delays. Please allow extra time.

Shipped
Step 1 - Completed - Shipped Wed, Dec 2Wed, Dec 2

In transit
Step 2 - Exception - In transit
Out for delivery
Step 3 - Upcoming - Out for delivery
Estimated delivery
Step 4 - Upcoming - Estimated delivery Mon, Dec 7Mon, Dec 7
Old 12-22-20, 05:17 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 155 Posts
They've been in the process of dismantling the postal service for months. The results are evident. There's a theory that the intent is to force privatization.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-22-20, 05:35 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts
I've been experiencing greater delays with third party shippers delivering to the USPS for the "final mile." Still waiting for this one via OSM Worldwide the most recent update was on December 13th:
CUSTOMER PKG ID: 9241990140830198512301
Status: InTransit DATE AND TIME STATUS LOCATION Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 4:19 PM Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item YORK, PA Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 4:19 PM Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item YORK, PA Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 11:54 AM Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item YORK, PA Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 11:54 AM Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item YORK, PA Saturday, December 12, 2020 at 12:39 PM Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item GLENDALE HEIGHTS, IL Saturday, December 12, 2020 at 12:39 PM Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item GLENDALE HEIGHTS, IL Saturday, December 12, 2020 at 3:31 AM Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item GLENDALE HEIGHTS, IL Saturday, December 12, 2020 at 3:31 AM Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item GLENDALE HEIGHTS, IL Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 12:17 AM Picked Up by Shipping Partner, USPS Awaiting Item PORTLAND, OR Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 12:17 AM Picked Up by Shipping Partner, USPS Awaiting Item
Old 12-22-20, 05:44 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 36 Posts
Same here package has been in transit for the last 5 days and was due a couple of days ago. While FedEx and UPS seem to be keeping up the US Postal Service seems overwhelmed. It seems the USPS has been having a difficult time of it but I feel they should have raised the rates on everything from a regular letter to their shipping rates which have been too low in many cases. I would rather pay $1 for a regular letter now than watch the USPS become privatized.
Old 12-22-20, 05:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 343 Posts
USPS is being run by a megadonor.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-22-20, 05:56 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts
FedEx, UPS, and others are actually turning away packages and pointing companies to the USPS. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ckages-delays/

I talked to the local postmaster and they have a crazy volume relative to normal with a lot of facilities open 24/7 and with lots of extra shifts. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something like 10x the normal number of packages for this season.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 12-22-20, 06:51 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500/400, '89 Schwinn Le Tour, '86 Bianchi Sport SX '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 506 Posts
A no-show on a large flat rate box to Seattle. Itís supposed to have $50 of insurance that comes with the priority mail $15.05 cost but I didnít require it to be signed for. I wonder if that gives them an out not to pay the $50? It shows to have been delivered Dec 5th but my daughter never saw it. Another piece of mail (letter) to daughter #2 took 5 weeks to go 100 miles. They suck !
Old 12-22-20, 08:19 PM
cranky old road 

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

The Postal Service cannot raise rates without approval by the Postal Regulatory Commission (appointed by the President and approved by the Senate), even though they are (theoretically) financially independent and receive no governmental funding.
Old 12-23-20, 01:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,105 Posts
Very slow, but that's not the fault of the post office. I know some of them and they're doing the best they can.

I often ride my bike, walk or jog after dark when there's less traffic, and I'm seeing USPS delivery vehicles operating later than usual hours, trying hard to keep up.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-23-20, 04:31 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 101 Posts
I am somewhat bemused by all the rants and put downs on the USPS when they're experiencing 10X the normal volume. This is Christmas shipping season when, these days, you're not supposed to be visiting people carrying your own presents as well. Here they are delivering packages 7 days a week trying to keep up. I'm waiting on a package from a town a 1.5 hours hours drive from me where in normal times I would have been thrilled to just drive down there and pick up the item face to face. I can be patient, it's not life or death. I don't believe the USPS can just go out and hire tens of thousands of temp workers and then just kick them to the curb when the rush is over like the commercial shippers can. The political complaints if you haven't noticed are about to swing left in a month and will change some things I hope
A somewhat unrelated perspective, a shipper in the mid pacific, I recently read, can lose literally thousands of shipping containers to the ocean and its no big deal.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 12-23-20, 05:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9673 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,328 Posts
That shipper in the Pacific is not losing individual packages addressed to individuals... they are losing thousands of shoes or rubber ducks or ping pong balls. They lose large scale goods containers, shipped at bulk rates.
Old 12-23-20, 05:49 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 101 Posts
Or thousands of Shimano group sets?
Or thousands of individual alibaba orders?
I'll never know. I did say somewhat unrelated.
Old 12-23-20, 09:22 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 662 Posts
https://www.jsonline.com/story/commu...us/4018530001/
Old 12-23-20, 10:10 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
The people who pickup and deliver our packages from shipper to recipient are heroes. We wouldn't have anything to eat, repair, wear, and play with without their relentless efforts.

All of the logistic companies are operating at over capacity because it's the season of giving obviously.

To expect every single shipment to have a perfect trajectory during this time is unrealistic. When we order things during this peak period we are sentencing postal workers to long hard days of deliveries in sometimes the harshest conditions imaginable. On top of that there's the exposure to the pandemic.

We've already destroyed our local small businesses through purchases via the world wide web. We've replaced small towns with Amazon.

At least save your heart and humanity while you still can.

Be grateful.

Sorry for the rant.

Please be patient.
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 12-23-20, 10:44 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500/400, '89 Schwinn Le Tour, '86 Bianchi Sport SX '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
The people who pickup and deliver our packages from shipper to recipient are heroes. We wouldn't have anything to eat, repair, wear, and play with without their relentless efforts.

All of the logistic companies are operating at over capacity because it's the season of giving obviously.

To expect every single shipment to have a perfect trajectory during this time is unrealistic. When we order things during this peak period we are sentencing postal workers to long hard days of deliveries in sometimes the harshest conditions imaginable. On top of that there's the exposure to the pandemic.

We've already destroyed our local small businesses through purchases via the world wide web. We've replaced small towns with Amazon.

At least save your heart and humanity while you still can.

Be grateful.

Sorry for the rant.

Please be patient.
My frustration is not with rank & file employees who Iím sure are going above & beyond with the new handicaps theyíre having to work under. My anger is directed at DeJoy & above.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 12-23-20, 11:00 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: Giant Road Bike & Giant MTB $ Fuji Road Bike

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 145 Posts
I totally get that things are going to take longer to arrive whether you're shipping or receiving, but they've lost 3 of my packages (out going) in the last 6 weeks. I got a new bike via UPS yesterday that arrived 3 days ahead of schedule (yay for me). I initiated 'Lost Package' on all of them and now I keep getting emails from the USPS letting me know that they still haven't found my packages and NO I cannot get my postage back, even though they didn't deliver! I've already resent the items.
There, it felt good to rant!
Old 12-23-20, 11:13 PM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
5 packages lost this month through USPS. haven't had any problems at all with any amazon packages.

I'm sure they're working their hardest, but at the end of the day, I'm the one that's out a lot of time and money. It's a service that I paid for and I'm not getting. I guess I wouldn't be mad if I was told beforehand that shipping through usps was going to be "at my own risk."
Old 12-24-20, 10:57 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Is anyone else experiencing slow or none at all USPS deliveries? I know covid has slowed them down but ups, fedex and amazon seem to be on schedule?

Places like UPS and FedEx have their own aircraft - that makes a huge difference.

Number of parcels is up for lots of reasons. Folks are ordering more online. Not able to visit relatives in person, so posting more. Etc.
Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 12-24-20, 12:29 PM
nel e nel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
They've been in the process of dismantling the postal service for months. The results are evident. There's a theory that the intent is to force privatization.
That and the GOP was trying to screw up mail-in ballots during a pandemic. This is the 2nd thread Iíve seen discussing this but no one seems to remember how they were dismantling sorting machines less than 3 months ago.
Likes For nel e nel:
Old 12-24-20, 12:54 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 228 Posts
Before this thread fully takes the exit ramp to P&R, the P.O. struggles aren't alone. It's yet another inevitable by-product of Covid/increased online sales/quarantine/etc. And yes, DeJoy's shenanigans spurred the struggles onward. Once [if/when] he's jettisoned, things should improve markedly.
Likes For skijor:
Old 12-24-20, 05:16 PM
cranky old road 

Last edited by cranky old road; 12-24-20 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Probably too political
Old 12-24-20, 07:18 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 76 Posts
I am waiting for a package to arrive that was shipped on the 10th of December. I am literally 3.5 hours away by car.
Old 12-24-20, 07:26 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: Giant Road Bike & Giant MTB $ Fuji Road Bike

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 145 Posts
One of the little tidbits of information I gleaned during the congressional inquisition of the postmaster general was that the USPS loses approx. 5% of all mail and packages they take charge of. That's a lot of da.. mail. Is it theft or is it incompetence? Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-20, 07:33 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
One of the little tidbits of information I gleaned during the congressional inquisition of the postmaster general was that the USPS loses approx. 5% of all mail and packages they take charge of. That's a lot of da.. mail. Is it theft or is it incompetence? Merry Christmas everyone!
Given the source, 95% probability that that's b.s.
Likes For skijor:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.