Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Springy feeling when sprinting out of the saddle

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-06-21, 04:18 AM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 231 Posts

I have 35mm wide road tires. Wheels are alloy with 36 spokes front and rear. Inflated to little bit higher pressure than is recommended for my weight (124 lbs) 50 psi rear / 45 psi front (Recommended is 45 / 39 psi)

As my sprinting cadence reaches 110 to 120 rpm, pedal strokes start feeling springy. My tires don't bounce, bike is stable but I literally feel like I'm jogging over springy mattress like a 5 year old. I feel it most strongly at the bottom of the stroke.

Tires? Pressure? Frame flex? Crank flex? Crank and frame is alloy. Bike is locked down tight every nut and bolt and smooth, no unsual noise during sprinting, just the soft hum and buzzing of the drivetrain.

I don't experience nor perceive this springy feeling when climbing out of the saddle at lower cadences.
Old 01-06-21, 04:43 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Out of the saddle at 110-120 rpm? It would seem that negates the reason for being out of the saddle, power generation. While sitting high rpms can be isolated. Standing it is much harder to isolate high rpms to the legs.
Likes For waters60:
Old 01-06-21, 05:40 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
I have 35mm wide road tires. Wheels are alloy with 36 spokes front and rear. Inflated to little bit higher pressure than is recommended for my weight (124 lbs) 50 psi rear / 45 psi front (Recommended is 45 / 39 psi)

As my sprinting cadence reaches 110 to 120 rpm, pedal strokes start feeling springy. My tires don't bounce, bike is stable but I literally feel like I'm jogging over springy mattress like a 5 year old. I feel it most strongly at the bottom of the stroke.

Tires? Pressure? Frame flex? Crank flex? Crank and frame is alloy. Bike is locked down tight every nut and bolt and smooth, no unsual noise during sprinting, just the soft hum and buzzing of the drivetrain.

I don't experience nor perceive this springy feeling when climbing out of the saddle at lower cadences.
Also low inflation of tires could add to that bouncy feeling
Likes For Fox Farm:
Old 01-06-21, 05:57 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Fox Farm View Post
Also low inflation of tires could add to that bouncy feeling
Note, I have 700 x 35c tires. They are 35mm wide. And I am only 124 lbs. So I'm a lightweight rider on wide road tires and my inflation pressure is expected be lower.

50 / 45 psi is actually slightly overinflated for me. Recommended for my weight and tire size is 45 / 39 psi.
Old 01-06-21, 09:07 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 287 Posts
I doubt you're flexing anything on the bike. And at that cadence, I'm curious as to how you can isolate the springiness to be coming at the bottom of the pedal stroke? At 120 rpms, you're bottoming out 4 times per second (2x for each side.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-06-21, 09:45 AM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 2649 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 819 Posts
Sprinting with fatties.
Swimming in Jello.
Old 01-06-21, 10:14 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 294 Posts
Sit down. Trying to stand at 120 rpm is crazy.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-06-21, 10:27 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
sprinting with fatties.
Swimming in jello.
+1
Old 01-06-21, 11:01 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 390 Posts
Practice at 130 rpm,

then your standing sprint at 120 rpm will feel more smooth.
Old 01-06-21, 11:05 AM
Moisture
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60 View Post
Out of the saddle at 110-120 rpm? It would seem that negates the reason for being out of the saddle, power generation. While sitting high rpms can be isolated. Standing it is much harder to isolate high rpms to the legs.
Right

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
Sit down. Trying to stand at 120 rpm is crazy.
Problem solved.

I cant recall the last time I've had to spend any time whatsoever out of the saddle. Oh wait, I did when I was riding a bike about 4 sizes too small for me.
Old 01-06-21, 11:12 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 333 Posts
As my sprinting cadence reaches 110 to 120 rpm, pedal strokes start feeling springy. My tires don't bounce, bike is stable but I literally feel like I'm jogging over springy mattress like a 5 year old. I feel it most strongly at the bottom of the stroke..
Are you using proper cycling shoes or are you still riding in flip flops? Not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm being serious.
Old 01-06-21, 11:23 AM
MoAlpha

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5474 Post(s)
Liked 2,258 Times in 1,277 Posts
Muscle thixotropy!
Old 01-06-21, 11:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubile, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '05 Novara Big Buzz, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
Are you using proper cycling shoes or are you still riding in flip flops? Not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm being serious.
Ah, isokinetic closed-cell foam plantar rebound disorder, a.k.a. flip-flop flap!
Old 01-06-21, 01:33 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 150 Posts
I'm gonna be a contrarian in this thread. This should be fun.

I weigh more than you. 145ish lbs. I run narrower tires than you (25mm). I run similar pressure to you (55ish psi, but I've run 45 sometimes). If you calculate the hoop stress of my tires, they are much less stiff than yours.

I sprint VERY fast out of the saddle. My peak power is generated somewhere around 140rpm. I'm pretty sure I can hit 150rpm or more. My peak 1s power is 1255W (probably was higher back when I used to lift, but I only recently bought a PM). 5s power is around 1150W. 15s power is around 900W.

I think if your technique is off, it's possible for the bike to feel springy due to the compression of the tires. I think I feel it sometimes if I'm in too hard of a gear. If your technique is smooth and your rpms high, not only will you not feel the bouncing, you'll probably also make more power.

Do you have a power meter? Also what kind of bike are we talking here? It's possible that your BB setup has some flex in it, but it's unusual for someone of your weight to be able to detect such things.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 01-06-21, 04:32 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: '17 Trek, '20 Bianchi, '77 Sears Free Spirit (long since retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash View Post
Also what kind of bike are we talking here? It's possible that your BB setup has some flex in it...
A picture might help if he has one handy.
Old 01-06-21, 05:00 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Maruishi Excellence, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '88 Cannondale SR2000, '74 C. Itoh "Racer"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
First, if you are not attached to the bike at 120+ rpm, you should be. Way too easy to come flying off the pedals. Second, work on your technique. Third, move forward on the saddle. The faster your cranks rotate, the bigger the percent of time your muscles are "reversing". By moving forward, you are effectively delay the timing of your stroke. The likelihood of accidentally putting power down before top dead center is thereby reduced. The law of diminishing returns applies here.
Old 01-06-21, 05:10 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 251 Posts
Frames are much, much stiffer than tires. Wheels have more flex than the frame but much less than tires. Tires have no support without pressure.

That leaves your "springy feeling" as most-likely the result of relative lack of pressure.
Old 01-06-21, 05:36 PM
smashndash

Covid makes this a bit complicated, but I would recommend trying out a close friend's bike if possible. Ideally a high end one that you know is stiff.

My biggest reason for using SPD-SL pedals is that it lets me try out my friends' bikes
Likes For smashndash:
Old 01-06-21, 08:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Sprinting with fatties.
Swimming in Jello.
Better than swimming with fatties and sprinting in jello.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-06-21, 08:32 PM
Moisture
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 71 Posts
Im curious to see what 150rpm cadence looks like.

soon, you'll be able to compete with an idling engine.
Old 01-06-21, 08:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4898 Post(s)
Liked 1,687 Times in 943 Posts
Tangentially related at best, my average standing cadence is 57. I've never once desired to manage a cadence of 120 out of the saddle, but should the inclination strike me, I'm 99.9% sure I couldn't do it.

The OP's query implies that he is sustaining this kind of cadence for extended periods, seemingly without any kind of sensors to record it. So get out your art supplies, and color me skeptical.
Old 01-06-21, 10:00 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 36 Posts
A suggestion learned from spinning class. When standing, shift to a lower gear or two. The added resistance makes you more stable and your stroke will smooth out.

Last edited by MAK; 01-06-21 at 10:16 PM.
Likes For MAK:
Old 01-06-21, 10:13 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by smashndash View Post
I weigh more than you. 145ish lbs. I run narrower tires than you (25mm). I run similar pressure to you (55ish psi, but I've run 45 sometimes). If you calculate the hoop stress of my tires, they are much less stiff than yours.
I forgot to mention I have internal rim width of 18mm for those 35mm tires. I don't detect any squirm during fast, leaning turns and never really had any issues unless it's related to the springy sprint issue. However, if I'm standing on the ground beside the bike, and I hold the saddle and handlebar while I push down on one pedal with one foot, the tires have visible lateral flexing and it only takes a little effort to induce flexing.

I sprint VERY fast out of the saddle. My peak power is generated somewhere around 140rpm. I'm pretty sure I can hit 150rpm or more. My peak 1s power is 1255W (probably was higher back when I used to lift, but I only recently bought a PM). 5s power is around 1150W. 15s power is around 900W.
Man, that surely rocks! Didn't think anyone can get above 120 rpm but really good to know it's actually possible! I've been training to increase my sprint cadence rpm. As you can see, I only weigh 125 lbs, I cannot produce much force but I could still crank some power if I could just raise my rpm but I'm starting to get bouncy feeling at the pedals at the bottom of pedal stroke.

I think if your technique is off, it's possible for the bike to feel springy due to the compression of the tires. I think I feel it sometimes if I'm in too hard of a gear. If your technique is smooth and your rpms high, not only will you not feel the bouncing, you'll probably also make more power.
I always sprint at a gear where I could sustain 120 rpm without looking like a mad gorilla on the bike. I only feel the springy feeling but remain smooth in my movements, no bobbing, no lateral movement, just the bike rocking left and right beneath. Just concerned it might be a critical bike part flexing and then fail without warning.

Do you have a power meter? Also what kind of bike are we talking here? It's possible that your BB setup has some flex in it, but it's unusual for someone of your weight to be able to detect such things.
No power meter I ran out of budget for those. I only have a simple and cheap speedometer. Bike is a gravel bike with semi-slick 35mm urban/touring tires and road 2x9 drivetrain with compact 50/34 crankset. Highest sprinting speed I hit with that bike on the flat is 55 kph which is absolutely scary, especially on a very cheap $250 bike. Nowadays, I practice sprinting mostly uphills to avoid sprinting past 40 kph.

I ride with 35mm wide tires due to our very poorly maintained and very bumpy roads. We have plenty of large cracks and gaps on the road which are unavoidable and you have to ride through them.

I'm gonna be a contrarian in this thread.
Thanks, appreciate it. The most helpful reply I got. That 140 rpm of yours is invaluable tip. I never thought one would be good at that high cadence. I'm still exploring, experimenting, still working out the highest cadence I can pull on sprints. I really run out of leg force at high sprinting speeds due to wind drag so the higher rpm is my only way past that. Or I can also do weighed squats to strengthen my legs and core muscles at the same time. Gyms are still closed but I something that weighs 60 kilos that I can use for weight training.
Old 01-06-21, 10:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2841 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 562 Posts
It's the flats. When one uses foot retention, the force on the downstroke pedal will shift to point aft at the bottom of the stroke and then shift to point up on the upstroke both seated and OOS. You're just like a piston acting on a crankshaft through stiff connecting rod. Yes, it makes power, but with a good bit of shaking if you've ever ridden a single cylinder motorcycles. Your downstroke goes on too long and compresses the tire which then rebounds when the pressure is removed. You're supposed to spin smoothly even OOS, but you can't because that demands foot retention. You'll have some habits to get over when you do get pedals and shoes.
Old 01-06-21, 11:34 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
Im curious to see what 150rpm cadence looks like.

soon, you'll be able to compete with an idling engine.
I'll see if I can get a recording of myself. It seems like 110-130rpm isn't unusual, especially for smaller guys like me (5' 7"). I only have one source of info (cadence sensor) so it's possible that it's wrong. Video evidence would be cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.