Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Lemond Team Z/Calfee built frame, real value?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 01-09-21, 07:54 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts

So this caught my eye a while ago but too me the price seems crazy high. Seller is asking $3000. Now you all know me, I'm a Lemond nut. I've seen these come up before and last year a fully built one went for around $500. The last built actual team bike sold was around $4000 if I remember correctly. This is not a team bike but one of the additional ones built and sold to the public. What would you all say is a real value on this? There where a lots of questions on the fork including by me. Unfortunately, while I was wondering it the rake on this fork that appears to have been built for a much taller frame was correct I kept saying length, brains too scrambled now days. Never could find if all these frames were built with the same head tube angle despite size and thus used the same rake fork. But that aside, what would you put as a true value on this?

Ton of pictures here:

https://pbase.com/onlyamoment/1991_l...or_sale&page=1

Oh and I just found this team bike sale too:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=118691

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-15-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-15-21, 08:00 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Wow, so I take it everyone is as stumped as me for a true value?
Old 01-15-21, 01:33 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Given its not actually a team bike with provenance, that price would seem more palpable if it were complete with the Record Delta group and proper wheelset
Old 01-18-21, 07:52 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by DMC707
Given its not actually a team bike with provenance, that price would seem more palpable if it were complete with the Record Delta group and proper wheelset
Right?!

I'd make an offer but I think it would come off as an insult to the seller. Being the Lemond nut I am I'd happily go more than what I think it's worth but it would still be well under the asking price. Heck I would have snapped this up the first day it was posted if the price was what I think is realistic.
Old 01-25-21, 09:09 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I can’t speak to the value but sure looks to be in incredible shape!
Old 07-17-21, 06:34 AM
jamesdak 

Bumping this again as the seller has lowered the price to $1500.

I still seems like too much to me but what does everyone else think?
Old 07-17-21, 11:51 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Bumping this again as the seller has lowered the price to $1500.

I still seems like too much to me but what does everyone else think?

James, i would probably be on that for $1500 considering youre a Lemond fan. But with the disclaimer about my opinion : I dont mind paying a bit more for "never see one again - rare as chickens teeth " type items and the intrinsic value for some things is almost as high as the purchase price

Modern performance with an old bike is fun. -- even if that frameset was never ridden, i'd still be compelled to build it an era correct groupset and ride it on special occasions.

Absolutely needs a set of Scott dop-in bars and a Campagnolo Record Delta 8 speed kit ! I forgot what year the original Shamals came out, but those would look smashing on a build like this too !

At $1500 for the frameset price, i would think that with some judicious hunting around, you could be at that 2500-3kish price point for the complete machine that i mentioned would be more aattractive price point in my previous response (guesing a Delta parts kit with Shamals is probably still not cheap, 30 years later

IF you give it a home, (and if that price doesnt intrude on your family finances ) -- we'd all be very interested to see this piece of history back on the road

Last edited by DMC707; 07-17-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-17-21, 03:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting frame.

Calfee frames usually command a little under $1000 depending on the condition.

"NOS" is nice.

But, at $1500 for that frame, you're probably paying $500 to $700 for the Lemond decals. And, it depends on whether that is worth it to you.
Old 07-17-21, 03:24 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm... Interesting frame.

Calfee frames usually command a little under $1000 depending on the condition.

"NOS" is nice.

But, at $1500 for that frame, you're probably paying $500 to $700 for the Lemond decals. And, it depends on whether that is worth it to you.
Yep, that's how I see it too. But I thought I'd bump this in case anyone was interested at this lower price.
Old 07-21-21, 11:28 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
1K was the number that came into my head for a pristine example.