Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire "WAM" definition?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire "WAM" definition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 10:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Tire "WAM" definition?

Random thought.. is a tire's width-as-measured best defined as ideally the inside carcass width, vs. just taking a caliper and measuring the inflated tire? Reason I ask is for example, some tires have the thicker tread (that runs down the center) extend and wrap further around the tire toward or all the way(?) to the bead. Some tires only have the thick center tread on the tops of the tire and a caliper wouldn't be touching this section when doing a measurement.

If the heavier tread thickness could be eg. 1mm thicker than sidewall thickness, and doubling that when measuring a tire's inflated width, could be inadvertently adding comparatively 2mm to one tire vs. another. Maybe an example is a Gatorskin vs a GP5K ? Both have the exact same 26mm measured width according to BRR's site, but is one including a bunch of protective rubber, while the other is not. From an inflation/PSI perspective, is the GP5K more air than a Gatorskin. The default conclusion being that the Gatorskin should be inflated to a higher PSI ?
Old 01-26-21, 11:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I've always felt that tire width is measured by the manufacturer as the width of the tire casing. Which isn't much difference internal or external (to the casing). The compounds added outside the casings add to the width and height, but are not counted in the ISO / ETRTO size.

I think I got this idea from one manufacturer's website long ago, but certainly it might only pertain to that manufacturer. Don't remember which site it was.

Now if you are talking about the width specified in the big flashy letters on the sidewall and box, then I never pay attention to them.
Old 01-26-21, 11:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Why wouldnt 'width as measured' be the width of the tire as measured on a rim? Put a tire on a rim, pump it up, and measure. There- width as measured. People care about the width of a tire on a rim because they have to figure out if it fits between their chainstays and fork legs.
The casing thickness is beside the point. If a tire is 28mm wide inside the casing, but has a 6mm casing, then its actually a 40mm wide tire for all intents and purposes when it comes to fitting the tire on your bike. The 40mm measurement is whats important for fit.
And obviously rim measurements and PSI need to be standardized for this to mean much of anything to anyone.

...maybe I misunderstand the question though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-26-21, 11:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Random thought.. is a tire's width-as-measured best defined as ideally the inside carcass width, vs. just taking a caliper and measuring the inflated tire? Reason I ask is for example, some tires have the thicker tread (that runs down the center) extend and wrap further around the tire toward or all the way(?) to the bead. Some tires only have the thick center tread on the tops of the tire and a caliper wouldn't be touching this section when doing a measurement.

If the heavier tread thickness could be eg. 1mm thicker than sidewall thickness, and doubling that when measuring a tire's inflated width, could be inadvertently adding comparatively 2mm to one tire vs. another. Maybe an example is a Gatorskin vs a GP5K ? Both have the exact same 26mm measured width according to BRR's site, but is one including a bunch of protective rubber, while the other is not. From an inflation/PSI perspective, is the GP5K more air than a Gatorskin. The default conclusion being that the Gatorskin should be inflated to a higher PSI ?
They're measured as mounted.

As for your example, I wouldn't worry about it. a) big whoop - you're going to take inflation recommendations with a grain of salt, anyway, given preference, road conditions, gauge inaccuracies, etc b) in your scenario, the extra tread thickness would also result in a less supple casing, probably making up for the small psi recommendation difference and then some.
Old 01-26-21, 11:30 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Iride01
I've always felt that tire width is measured by the manufacturer as the width of the tire casing. Which isn't much difference internal or external (to the casing). The compounds added outside the casings add to the width and height, but are not counted in the ISO / ETRTO size.

I think I got this idea from one manufacturer's website long ago, but certainly it might only pertain to that manufacturer. Don't remember which site it was.

Now if you are talking about the width specified in the big flashy letters on the sidewall and box, then I never pay attention to them.
He's referring to WAM (width as measured) and RAM (radius as measured), figures that have recently been pushed forward by a number of manufacturers, primarily those making tire and/or frames, so that end users have a better idea of what to expect by way of tire clearance when using various combinations of rim and tire.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-26-21, 12:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
They're measured as mounted.

As for your example, I wouldn't worry about it. a) big whoop - you're going to take inflation recommendations with a grain of salt, anyway, given preference, road conditions, gauge inaccuracies, etc b) in your scenario, the extra tread thickness would also result in a less supple casing, probably making up for the small psi recommendation difference and then some.
Yeah, I already do what I do, and maybe not a big deal. However to note, a 2mm width difference can often change the PSI recommendation on some calculators by over 10psi. Makes you wonder if something like what's being discussed here could be part of the reason for frequent disconnects on sensible tire pressures?
Old 01-26-21, 12:50 PM
WhyFi

However to note, a 2mm width difference can often change the PSI recommendation on some calculators by over 10psi.
And, again - think about the increased stiffness of the casing, the inaccuracy of most pump gauges and then the percentage of the overall deviation (I assume that this 10psi difference is on skinny tires are the pressures are probably in the neighborhood of 100 or more).

Makes you wonder if something like what's being discussed here could be part of the reason for frequent disconnects on sensible tire pressures?
No, doesn't make me wonder that at all - I wouldn't place any blame at the feet of tread thickness variation, within a given WAM, as a factor for the disconnect. Even among forum members, the majority of whom would classify themselves as enthusiasts, WAM is a relatively unknown concept and the inflation calculators that use them are pretty new-school. Couple that with the anything goes over-sized tire casings that are still available on shelves, the newer, more conservative tire sizes, the wide variations in rim widths on the market, the factors listed previously and the old-school habits and "knowledge," etc. etc - it more than adequately explains the differences in opinion.
Old 01-26-21, 04:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts