Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Got Tubeless?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Got Tubeless?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 02:08 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Got Tubeless?

So I’m new to the tubeless crowd. If you read my thread on updating/upgrading my wife and my 2015 Giant CoMax 1’s you know that we replaced the wheeler and decided to try tubeless tires. Today was my first puncture. Five miles into our usual 30 mile ride I had stopped for an intersection and noticed white liquid on my fork, handlebars, etc. had one of those What the (insert your favorite 4 letter word)! I then realized the white liquid was indeed sealant. However, I didn’t see any leaking, hole or lose of air. So far so good the tubeless system appeared to work. The question for me was could I continue the rest of the ride. The answer is yes! I’m officially sold on tubeless road tires.

When I got home I checked the tire pressure and noted I had lost only 10 psi during the 30 mile ride. Not bad. Still couldn’t see any damage on the tire. So took out my floor pump and started pumping. Nothing until I reached about 95 psi and then a stream of sealant. Found the hole. I fine 90 psi to be a good pressure for me so this was cutting it a little close. I had purchased a tubeless tire plug kit so I thought I’d give it a try. Seems to work great as the tire has been holding at 100 psi for the past 3 hours. Will check on it before tomorrows ride.

The point of all this is that if you are on the fence about running tubeless or thinking of purchasing a new bike with a tubeless system, you should have less time fixing flats than your tubed friends.. So good for it!
Old 09-16-18, 05:50 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I had a similar experience to you, rear tire though, and it was a hissing sound from behind me that alerted me I had a puncture, I saw where the sealant was leaking from, so I put that part of the tire facing the the ground, and soon the sealant had stopped leaking.

But I was afraid to ride home, so I wheeled the bike home ( 800m ) I should have tried to ride it to see what size hole the sealant was capable of sealing. Next day, I pumped up the tire and at around 95 PSI, sealant started to spray from the puncture, so again, I wheeled the bike to the LBS.

The guy took the tire off, and found a piece of glass, smaller than I thought, but definitely puncture material, and refilled with sealant. All was fine for a few days, but I would get the odd sealant leaking from the puncture site, this continued for a week ( the tire never lost too much pressure ) so he told better to replace the tire.

From my limited riding experience, the tubeless tires have done what they were designed to do , and will continue running them .

ON a side note, on another tubeless thread on bikeforums, I mentioned I run my tubeless at around 95psi, which a few found way too high, even suggesting that the markings on the tires ( 85-115psi ) were for using tubes.

Last edited by SlinkyWizard; 09-16-18 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Inaccurate information