Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cutting the computer wires !

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 05:27 PM
rsw

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

I have a Flight Deck harness on both my TREK road bike and Cannondale T2000 touring bikes. I move the head from bike to bike. I'm thinking of ordering a Bike Friday with Shimano 105's (Flight Deck compatible )and would like to use the head on that bike too.

Problem I see is when taking apart the split handle bars when shipping, one is going to have a "wiring problem" since several wires are attached to the shifters. Has any one ever cut the wires and installed quick connect electical connector to faciliate taking off and storing the handle bars during transport?

Thanks for any ideas!

Old 01-29-06, 07:36 PM
Mehow
People Before Profit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I understand your question . . . I think that a wireless computer would solve your problem. You can pick find them up for as little as $25.
Old 01-29-06, 07:44 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsw
I have a Flight Deck harness on both my TREK road bike and Cannondale T2000 touring bikes. I move the head from bike to bike. I'm thinking of ordering a Bike Friday with Shimano 105's (Flight Deck compatible )and would like to use the head on that bike too.

Problem I see is when taking apart the split handle bars when shipping, one is going to have a "wiring problem" since several wires are attached to the shifters. Has any one ever cut the wires and installed quick connect electical connector to faciliate taking off and storing the handle bars during transport?

Thanks for any ideas!
I thought I replied to this already...?

Yes, you can cut the wire. I've done this to run the wire down the inside of a stem & steerer tube for a cleaner install.

See: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=134260
Old 01-29-06, 07:46 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mehow
If I understand your question . . . I think that a wireless computer would solve your problem. You can pick find them up for as little as $25.
The OP is looking to use the same computer for all bikes. It's likely the OP is also happy with having the hood-mounted controls. The problem is that the Shimano FlightDeck while can be fitted to a wireless harness/mount which doesn't require a wire to go to the wheel sensor, still requires wires to go from the mount to the shifters.

To the OP, how often do you expect to assemble/disassemble the bike. The Shimano wireless harness has wires leading from the shifters to a contact block which is screwed onto the bottom of the mount. It's a hassle but if you're not constantly disassembling the bike then you could simply unscrew each block before packing it up. Be careful not to lose the screws or the rubber seal. Another option would be to remove them via removal of the contact block at the shifter.

The problem with putting in a quick-disconnect is that there's actually several conductors (6 in all I think) in that cable and while you could wire up an arrangement, you'll have to be careful. The cable is very thin and you'll need to attach them to a multipin connector. However, it can be done.

Have you thought about simply leaving enough slack to allow you to remove the split handlebars but still leave everything connected? You'll of course have to be careful when packing so as not to pull the wires out of their connectors.
Old 01-30-06, 07:25 AM
rsw

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks to you and af895 for the response. As af stated in his reply, there is a copper wire and braided shield in each wire so you are correct it looks like a potential of six connectors ( 2 to each shifter and 2 to the pickup sensor). Seems like a lot of opportunity for shorts, bad connections, weather issues and lost data.

I think I may go with your suggestion of leaving enough slack in the wires to accomodate dismantling the handlebars. The issue then may be what to do with the "extra" lengths of wire needed for this accomodation. The wire on my two bikes is wrapped under the handlebar tape. It would be a hassle to rewrap the tape everytime.

Will have to wait until I have the two in hand to see what might work best.

Thanks to you two for your ideas.