Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat stay crack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seat stay crack

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 07:23 AM
olddurace82

Bikes: 1982 Titan Exclusive (Reynolds 531, Shimano DuraAce EX), 1981 Fuji Excel', 1972 women's Raleigh Sport 3 speed, 1975 Raleigh folder, 1995 Dahon Mariner, 2008 Trek 2.3, 1960ish mens Raleigh sport project refurb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seat stay crack

Hello all. On my 2009 Trek 2.3 I noticed this crack where the carbon seat stay is inserted into the aluminum frame. Bike has served me well over many miles.
Trek warranty states the frame has a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately I can't find the receipt.
Is this repairable?
Thanks!
Dave G
Old 07-26-23, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Sure it's repairable. But if you don't have the ability and skill to do it all yourself, then it's probably going to be uneconomical to have someone else do it for you. You can always just contact a place that repairs carbon fiber bike frames and get an estimate. Like getting estimates on many other things, get several.

However do you need your receipt? Take it to a Trek dealer and find out.

I don't see the crack. Or is that the gray blurry line in the white? The other issue just looks like clear coat coming off between the white areas. But certainly you should get the opinion of your Trek dealer or another bike shop you trust that can see it with their own eyes from different angles and lighting.
Old 07-26-23, 08:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't see the crack. Or is that the gray blurry line in the white? .
Crack is circumferential at the joint
Old 07-26-23, 08:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Crack is circumferential at the joint
Doesn't change my advice. OP still needs to get it checked out by someone that can see it in person live and get all touchy feely and be one with the crack or whatever it turns out to really be! <grin>
Old 07-26-23, 09:02 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Did you register the bike when it was purchased? If yes, then perhaps Trek will have the registration showing you as the original owner. Worth checking.
Old 07-26-23, 09:51 AM
olddurace82

Bikes: 1982 Titan Exclusive (Reynolds 531, Shimano DuraAce EX), 1981 Fuji Excel', 1972 women's Raleigh Sport 3 speed, 1975 Raleigh folder, 1995 Dahon Mariner, 2008 Trek 2.3, 1960ish mens Raleigh sport project refurb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Sure it's repairable. But if you don't have the ability and skill to do it all yourself, then it's probably going to be uneconomical to have someone else do it for you. You can always just contact a place that repairs carbon fiber bike frames and get an estimate. Like getting estimates on many other things, get several.

However do you need your receipt? Take it to a Trek dealer and find out.

I don't see the crack. Or is that the gray blurry line in the white? The other issue just looks like clear coat coming off between the white areas. But certainly you should get the opinion of your Trek dealer or another bike shop you trust that can see it with their own eyes from different angles and lighting.
Thanks for the response. Yes the gray line which leads into the black, then at the point where the carbon and aluminum meet, Off to the Trek dealer to have a professional look.
Likes For olddurace82:
Old 07-26-23, 11:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
If you're near the shop where you bought the bike, take it back to them. They should have records and be able to help with the warranty.

Otherwise, take it to your nearest Trek dealer and ask for help.

FWIW, I've broken two frames with lifetime warranties. REI had me bring it to their nearest store and replaced at no charge, after they looked it up (only three years old; that was 14 years ago). They even double-checked the wheels, as I was starting a tour when it broke. 4,400 loaded miles across the country with one minor touch-up around 3,000 miles.

The other one was a Fuji, bought through the mail. The local (at the time) Fuji dealer asked where I bought it, handled the warranty with the manufacturer, and, since they didn't sell me the bike originally, asked for about $75 to strip the frame and rebuild the parts on the new frame. I agreed; hey, it saved $800 over the cost of a new bike!
Old 07-28-23, 07:32 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Did you register the bike when it was purchased? If yes, then perhaps Trek will have the registration showing you as the original owner. Worth checking.
He can try. I did a warranty claim on a 2006 Madone 5.0. I had registered it when new. Still needed the receipt.

Also Trek may be able to repair it.
Old 07-28-23, 10:32 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
There's no chance anyone is going to repair that. Carbon can be repaired, but the aluminum section would need a whole new tube welded in and the frame being baked in an oven to heat treat the metal, and then it would have to be repainted. And the carbon sections would have to be debonded and rebonded... Ask the original shop if they can provide you with the receipt. Trek will probably send you a frame replacement (a newer frame of similarish MSRP), though it'll be your responsibility to swap the components (or pay someone to do so).
Likes For cpach:
Old 07-29-23, 11:42 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by olddurace82
Thanks for the response. Yes the gray line which leads into the black, then at the point where the carbon and aluminum meet, Off to the Trek dealer to have a professional look.
I think that this is a good idea, but would insist (if I were you) that the dealer take pics and get the word from the mother ship. I suspect that 1) it is repairable in the sense that you can make it work and have a reliably strong frame but that 2) Trek may want to replace that frame.