Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the glue used on pre-glued patches?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 06:32 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I am wondering if it is a solvent glue like in the glue tube of a regular patch kit.
The solvent glue in a regular oatch glue creates a cohesive bond.
That is pretty hard to beat.
Old 01-05-18, 09:21 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 363 Posts
It's similar to adhesive tape glue, not like the "vulcanizing" fluid in patch kits.

I tested the glueless patches some years ago, and they leaked a few times. I really like the tiny size of the glueless patch box, but I don't trust them. I should do a series of them at home to decide if they are reliable enough to ride with.

I'll save my punctured tubes, and do 3 or 4 at a time, using a fresh patch kit and using up the glue in the kit. I trust these patched tubes -- I'll often have at least one patch on the tubes that I'm riding. I've never had one fail later, if it's good while pumped up for a day, it's good to go.

EDIT-- I don't like how unopened tubes of glue kept in my saddle bag can dry out. I suppose I could date them and swap them out after a year.

It's been years since I've needed more than my spare tube when riding. But you never know...

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-05-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-05-18, 10:18 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Old school is best

Is it not feasible to make a smaller container for the old school patches?
I am thinking a 1/3 sized container for the vulcanising glue itself and two or three patches in a very small box. I wonder what could be used as a glue container.
Old 01-05-18, 10:38 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
Is it not feasible to make a smaller container for the old school patches?
I am thinking a 1/3 sized container for the vulcanising glue itself and two or three patches in a very small box. I wonder what could be used as a glue container.

I never considered a different container. you could take a few patches and a tube of glue, throw them in a small ziplock, and it would take less space, and fit in more places in my saddle bag.

I carry Park self stick patches, just in case, but I'm not fond of them.
Old 01-05-18, 01:48 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I too, carry Park self gluing patches, for emergencies. Usually, a spare tube and CO2 carts get me home. If that fails, I go to self gluing patches , but I would replace it with a regular patch at home. KB
Old 01-05-18, 02:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
I have a good tube with me.. swap it for the punctured one , then where its more comfortable than along the roadside,

like a aCafe or Pub, I take the time to do a proper patch, then that is my spare tube for the next incident.
Old 01-05-18, 06:52 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
[QUOTE=fietsbob;20092221]I have a good tube with me.. swap it for the punctured one , then where its more comfortable than along the roadside,

+1. I do the same
Old 01-05-18, 09:14 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
EDIT-- I don't like how unopened tubes of glue kept in my saddle bag can dry out. I suppose I could date them and swap them out after a year.

It's been years since I've needed more than my spare tube when riding. But you never know...
Yeah, that's why I got rid of my glue kits and only carry self-adhesive patches.
Flat-resistant tires have meant very very few flats.
And glue tubes tended to glue themselves shut after being used once. Self-adhesive patches don't, and you can easily carry 5 or 6 of them rather than just 1 glue patch kit.
Old 01-06-18, 03:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Try the Lezyne self sticking patches. I've used 'em for more than a year. They're outstanding.

For one thing they're nearly paper thin. No problems with the snuggest fitting road bike clinchers. When in doubt I'll double up on the patches, one on the tube, a second on the inside of the tire where the outer tread was cut but didn't penetrate the inner layer more than enough to cause a pinprick puncture.

The Lezyne kit is only slightly thicker than a credit card and half the size. The tiny plastic envelope holds the patches, metal scuffer and a tire boot for more serious cuts. It'll fit almost anywhere, even the tiniest saddle bag for the minimalists.

The patches are really tenacious. I've had one develop a slow leak after a few weeks. Just pumping up the tire put on enough pressure to seal the leak and I got home without needing to unmount the wheel or tire.

How tenacious? A couple of patches became slightly dislodged after several months in my saddlebag. One edge of a patch stuck to the inner plastic envelope. I could hardly tear it loose. A couple of patches stuck to each other. There was no way to separate them without tearing.

Since then I'm careful to be sure there's a flap of the slick paper backing between the patches and storage envelope so the patches don't migrate off the slick backing paper. Once those patches stick to any compatible plastic or rubber, they're pretty darned tenacious.

When I first began using the Lezyne self sticking patches in the autumn of 2016 I regarded them as temporary and intended to replace them ASAP with proper glued patches. And I did that for awhile. But life got busy and I forgot about some tubes patched with the Lezyne patches for many months. When I finally had a chance to inspect those tubes the Lezyne patches still held securely.

I still tend to favor the traditional glued patches for my hybrids. But for the road bike, once I've used a Lezyne patch I just leave it alone and don't mess with it unless or until the next flat. I got two flats in consecutive rides in November and have hardly had a chance to ride the road bike since then. When I pinch the tire it still feels pretty hard, probably around 80 psi or more, so it's holding air. I'll carry a new spare tube but otherwise I'll leave that tire alone.

Because I'll often double up on the patches -- one on the tube, a second inside the tire itself -- I tend to go through the Lezyne kits fairly quickly. I bought three of the Lezyne kits in early 2017 and have used nearly all of them, mostly on the hybrid that I ride on gravel, grass and rough roads with lots of broken glass. But I've used 'em on the road bike a few times as well. It's probably a good idea to replace any tire patch kit once a year anyway. Some conventional patch kits I've bought had dried up glue within a year even when the glue container seal had never been perforated or used. The Lezynes have held up better than that for me over the past approximately 14 months.