Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

[Tyres] Is Schwalbe Kojac a Bad Tyre?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-22-19, 04:35 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts

i own two bromptons, one with kojacs and another with marathon, bolth from schwalbe.

so yesterday i was surfing on youtube and saw an nice video about tyres from schwalbe

https://youtu.be/9fpMFq0svz4

kojac seems to one of the worst!

Do you agree?
Old 10-22-19, 07:27 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Have used Marathon, Marathon Plus and Kojaks(wire bead and folding).
In addition to Brompton tire(discontued) and Primo Comet.

Primo Comet and Kojak are my favorites.
Old 10-22-19, 07:35 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I don't think the video by itself says anything. It's just showing how they tested the tire.
If you're referring to the actual test results:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-marathon-2015

Then, it shows that the 35mm Kojak has higher rolling resistance than the 37mm Marathon. However, narrower tires need higher air pressure, but according to the results even with a 15psi difference the Marathon still performs better.

I found this PDF showing the Marathon performing better than the Kojak at the same air pressure, although ideally the Kojak should be inflated to a slightly higher pressure.
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/f...t_schwalbe.pdf

I've never used tires as narrow as those though. In the past I tried the Big Apple 50mm, Marathon Supreme 42mm, Energizer Plus 47mm, Marathon 47mm, and currently the Big Ben Plus 55mm. I now always use tires with the Greenguard for the puncture protection. I almost never get punctures now, only perhaps once the tire ages past 2 years, or if I run over a nail, or something hits the sidewall. I remember in the past riding a non Greenguard tire which had a puncture from a small staple. But the Greenguard will add some rolling resistance. I also use the wider tires for the higher load capacity and softer ride. Even the 55mm at 3 Bar vs 47mm at 4 Bar feel very different, with the 55mm being much less painful on bumpy surfaces. Wider tires generally have lower rolling resistance at the same pressure, but it also depends on the structure and properties of the tire shape and material, or at least that's what I read on blogs and forums.

For me, the puncture protection is more important than the rolling resistance, because I don't want to be caught with a flat and waste a lot of time unloading my cargo with all the straps and the wheels to repair the tube.
Old 10-22-19, 08:04 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Here is some more information
https://www.cyclingabout.com/punctur...e-lab-testing/

What's The Speed Difference Between Touring Tyres? Rolling Resistance Lab Testing - CyclingAbout.com
Old 10-22-19, 11:07 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I love my kojaks!!! I used to get flats on my marathon racers because glass and stuff would get caught in the tread pattern and then work through the tire as I rode. That same stuff just gets flinged aside by the slick kojaks, I actually hear it pinging off things sometimes. Been almost two years without a flat tire, and they are also much better in rain imo. More tread on the street than with a treaded tire.
Old 10-23-19, 08:52 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
I don't think the video by itself says anything. It's just showing how they tested the tire.
If you're referring to the actual test results:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-marathon-2015

Then, it shows that the 35mm Kojak has higher rolling resistance than the 37mm Marathon. However, narrower tires need higher air pressure, but according to the results even with a 15psi difference the Marathon still performs better.

I found this PDF showing the Marathon performing better than the Kojak at the same air pressure, although ideally the Kojak should be inflated to a slightly higher pressure.
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/f...t_schwalbe.pdf

I've never used tires as narrow as those though. In the past I tried the Big Apple 50mm, Marathon Supreme 42mm, Energizer Plus 47mm, Marathon 47mm, and currently the Big Ben Plus 55mm. I now always use tires with the Greenguard for the puncture protection. I almost never get punctures now, only perhaps once the tire ages past 2 years, or if I run over a nail, or something hits the sidewall. I remember in the past riding a non Greenguard tire which had a puncture from a small staple. But the Greenguard will add some rolling resistance. I also use the wider tires for the higher load capacity and softer ride. Even the 55mm at 3 Bar vs 47mm at 4 Bar feel very different, with the 55mm being much less painful on bumpy surfaces. Wider tires generally have lower rolling resistance at the same pressure, but it also depends on the structure and properties of the tire shape and material, or at least that's what I read on blogs and forums.

For me, the puncture protection is more important than the rolling resistance, because I don't want to be caught with a flat and waste a lot of time unloading my cargo with all the straps and the wheels to repair the tube.

thanks for posting the links.
comparing kojac to marathon the resistance is 20% higher on kojac.

to mine experieance i do feel marathons ans faster tyre than kojacs, this only translates that feeling on numbers