Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Anybody in the NYC-area?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Anybody in the NYC-area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 01:16 AM
.:Jimbo:.
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody here in Ny do the Mstour bike tour thing last sun? Anybdy go for the full 100 miles? Who wimped out after 30 miles?
i did 60 miles. Was gunna stop for the 45mile turnaround, but i didnt wanna be the only one turning there so i pushed through up to the 60?
Old 10-23-05, 07:08 AM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to see this race.....Slvoid, you should carry your 10lbs messenger bag. I mean, come on, you're gonna get lapped anyway...so, just carry the bag and get lapped twice.

Wheezl, can you send me another invite? I tried signing up again and it didn't take my password....wtf?
Old 10-23-05, 08:27 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by .:Jimbo:.
anybody here in Ny do the Mstour bike tour thing last sun? Anybdy go for the full 100 miles? Who wimped out after 30 miles?
i did 60 miles. Was gunna stop for the 45mile turnaround, but i didnt wanna be the only one turning there so i pushed through up to the 60?
Yeah I did the 100 miler in 5 hrs 10 min.
See now if you had been riding with us, I would've shouted slogans at you, called you a maggot, and made you finish the full 100.
Old 10-23-05, 09:10 AM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadd
I want to see this race.....Slvoid, you should carry your 10lbs messenger bag. I mean, come on, you're gonna get lapped anyway...so, just carry the bag and get lapped twice.

Wheezl, can you send me another invite? I tried signing up again and it didn't take my password....wtf?

There are still 11 days on that invite, but I can send you another if you like. Perhaps you were sending it charachters in your password that were too advanced
Old 10-23-05, 09:16 AM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope....only letters & numbers. Hell, I even tried all letters and all numbers, but it just won't take anything I typed.
Old 10-23-05, 04:28 PM
cjc_cyling
Car Free

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp, Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too. Schedule it for Nov and maybe we can watch the wind carry you off... you'll need that messenger bag for ballast!
Old 10-23-05, 09:25 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gotta see this race, but I'm thinking it might be boring if only 2 of them are racing. BTW, from what I gather in SS/FG forum, the fast fixie racers do PP in about 7:30 with most averaging 8:00 to 8:30. Either of you two beat that?

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 10-24-05, 07:00 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, that's freaking fast! I think my best time was like 12 minutes....lol
Old 10-24-05, 08:30 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, that's freaking fast! I think my best time was like 12 minutes....lol
No sh*t.. my best time before porking out was just over 10.. I'd be lucky to hit 15 right now!
Old 10-24-05, 08:52 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My best is right around 8:15 or so. I did a 7 minute once but it was at the back of a group of 20, does that count?

I can't attend the SS/FG races cause they're prejudiced against people with gears.
I'm not sure why though since the course is relatively flat and you'd think fixed gear is a lot more efficient than geared so they actually have an advantage.
Old 10-24-05, 09:49 PM
.:Jimbo:.
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats pp? Is anything to do with prospect park loop. Ive never timed my self at prospect park, i just conserve energy till the uphill, go up quite fast to get as much speed as possible before the downhill, and zoom down. ive ran he loop in 22 minutes and 7 seconds, if that means much. Ive picked up biking only recently but im a well seasoned runner(4.57 minute mile, and ran track and cross country in H.S.) I guess i have a desire for speed under my own power, driving cars fast, is no where near as exhilerating.
I just wish i had one of those $5 grand bikes. All my bikes together arent worth one grand alone.
Btw, That was those worst part about the tour, was a riding alone, at first i was riding with my dad, but his pace was no faster then my walking pace, and any slower, i would have been going backwards, so i sped up, only for my mp3 player jukebox radio thingy to die out on me, and it become loney and quite boring. I was afraid to stir up a conversation there as well, cause i felt like suck a dork, upright handlebars, purple helmet, an atire of jeans and a guiness beer t-shirt, and a bike making alot of weird noises, After i finished the 60 i knew i had enough in me to do the 100, but i doubt id best your time, slvoid. What bike do you have, and what components do you have, or you one of those types of people who will just surprise the competion on race day?
In the near future im hoping to up grade to atleast shimano 105 components.
and one last thing? whats the ss/fg races? Im kinda out of the loop when it comes to the races, and other bicycling functions cause i dont know any other serious bikers.

Last edited by .:Jimbo:.; 10-24-05 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 09:54 PM
ch0mb0
switching to guns

Bikes: allez fuji tracku nishiki TT GT KHS arrow Miner 29'er CIOCC Corsair and now a f*cking awesome waterford skeet velo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
BTW, from what I gather in SS/FG forum, the fast fixie racers do PP in about 7:30 with most averaging 8:00 to 8:30. Either of you two beat that?

Low to mid 8's are about right...but the numbers are shrinking! not with me, though. not just yet.
We had one rider come in at 7:26.

Still, the times range from 8 to 11 minutes depending on the riders. Last week there were 36, I think?
Simply amazing...to think that this started off with about a half dozen people..

Originally Posted by slvoid
I can't attend the SS/FG races cause they're prejudiced against people with gears.
I'm not sure why though since the course is relatively flat and you'd think fixed gear is a lot more efficient than geared so they actually have an advantage.
Lies, all lies! lies and disinformation, I tell you. We love all bikes!

Last edited by ch0mb0; 10-24-05 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-25-05, 08:33 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by .:Jimbo:.
whats pp? Is anything to do with prospect park loop. Ive never timed my self at prospect park, i just conserve energy till the uphill, go up quite fast to get as much speed as possible before the downhill, and zoom down. ive ran he loop in 22 minutes and 7 seconds, if that means much.
PP = Prospect Park and the 7:30 - 11:00 min times refer to the time it takes to do the loop in PP. SS/FG=single speed/fixed gear bikes.

Originally Posted by ch0mb0
Lies, all lies! lies and disinformation, I tell you. We love all bikes!
Hmmm...there goes that theory about geared bike prejudice. If Slovoid brings a used DVD copy of Star Trek 33 1/3 as a prize, can he race?

Old 10-25-05, 09:31 AM
Brian McDonough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up on prospect park since the crime wave started and it is a very serious problem if you know it or not!!!
Old 10-25-05, 09:36 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian McDonough
I gave up on prospect park since the crime wave started and it is a very serious problem if you know it or not!!!
uhh, what? i haven't heard of a crime wave. do you have any details? quite a bit of us ride there - morning, afternoon, and night. would be good to know...
Old 10-25-05, 09:43 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I witnessed two gangs having a shootout in the parking lot of the ice rink in PP...in 1976. Didn't hear about a recent crime wave in PP though. And if you're riding w/ a group, that provides it's own safety.

Old 10-25-05, 09:57 AM
Brian McDonough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] I did the bronx de tour this sunday what a crowd I did the 25 Miles around the bronx and It was sooooo cooool the weather that is -thank you folkes up in the bronx who supplied goodys and made the ride safe for all and to the NY finest who led the ride what a fun day I had and the all the marshells from the 5bbc until next tine . see ya on the road
Old 10-25-05, 10:09 AM
Brian McDonough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more thing tell those people from the bronx cycle club with the fancy shwinn bikes that they make too much noise with those car horns attached to their bikes and their boomboxes is there a law on noise in the bronx or do they make their own laws ! !
Old 02-08-06, 10:23 AM
marcelinyc
R900Campagnolo

Bikes: track and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone up for training in pp? fixed or road?

Last edited by marcelinyc; 02-08-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 01:58 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not tonight but I'm free tomorrow night.
Old 02-08-06, 09:41 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from PP. I was there from 8pm - 10pm.
Old 02-09-06, 09:43 AM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I rode in PP 2-3 days a week between 1999 and 2003, and I've also walked ALL over it (you don't get to see the nicest parts from the bike loop). Never saw a single crime incident, and the only person I've ever met who was a victim of one had it occur in the early 70s. There's no crime wave - if there was the Post would be all over it. I will say though that one maybe should be careful about hiking deep into the center of the park, and not do that at night.
Old 02-09-06, 09:53 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zowie
I will say though that one maybe should be careful about hiking deep into the center of the park, and not do that at night.
yep - that should go without saying. sometimes i see some random dude pop out of the trees when i'm riding in the park late at night. i'm thinking to myself - what WERE you doing in there? surely it wasn't hiking or enjoying the scenary.
Old 02-10-06, 09:51 AM
marcelinyc
R900Campagnolo

Bikes: track and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today ?
Old 06-14-06, 01:31 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
**cccrrreeeaaaakkkkk**

Looking for some leisurely rides through the city - daytime or latenight is better (have stuff usually between 7 and 11 PM during the week) and it could be weekday or weekend (though the next two weekends are booked for me). Manhattan would be great but I could travel (that's what they're for, right? ). I read in another post about night time rides through CP which sound like blast too - any info on those? I'm much more of a night owl and love the streets with most of the cars gone

And, I'll go for broke but I recently fitted my flyrod to tackle the blues and stripers that swim around here - if you'd like to do a combined fishing / riding day trip sometime that could be fun. I was riding the other day and watched a guy pull up a 36" blue!

It's the year of the enema!

Last edited by Air; 06-14-06 at 01:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.