Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can't stop carbon revolution.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can't stop carbon revolution.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 11:19 PM
bbp
hooray for spring

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advanced composites has taken over other industries a long time ago so its just a matter of time before it trickles down to recreational activities. Advanced composites are a way of the future. Soon there will be houses constructed with the help of composites.
Old 10-31-05, 11:21 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steel is real
Old 11-01-05, 12:26 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
carbon fiber is unreal
Old 11-01-05, 12:27 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all about price compression, not totally wiping out markets. I've seen top of the line Scott CR1s for about $3600 bucks at some points and the price of Giant TCR0s seems to get soft by mid summer too. When you have superb bikes at that price level, everything else is going to get pushed down hard.

And look at strength - you can get carbon cyclocross forks, seatstays and even complete frames (although pricey). Carbon is at to the point where you can truly beat on it.

That's why Ti is the true OCP material. It'll always be overpriced.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 11-01-05, 12:40 AM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My next bike will be made entirely of pork fat.

...maybe that's my breakfast.. not sure.
Old 11-01-05, 01:06 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcasillo
Dewey decimal system for teh win!
What a scam that was.
Old 11-01-05, 03:24 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by trayer350
In the future, Tiawan will produce beautiful looking carbon frames for less than aluminum. The masses will be buying carbon.
From 1989 to 2003 I was in the wholesale knife business. I saw the hi-tech knife market shift from the US to Taiwan to China. You might be correct. Right now Taiwan is the undisputed king of Quality at very reasonable prices. But watch out for China. When China puts its vast resources to work they'll leave Taiwan in the dust.
Plus we all have to remember that there might not be a Taiwan if mainland China has it's way.

Tim
Old 11-01-05, 03:27 AM
cs1

Originally Posted by bbp
Advanced composites has taken over other industries a long time ago so its just a matter of time before it trickles down to recreational activities. Advanced composites are a way of the future. Soon there will be houses constructed with the help of composites.
They just put up a house near me, in Parma OH, with aluminum framing and laminated floor joists. The future is here.

Tim
Old 11-01-05, 04:14 AM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good short movie on building carbon frames. Complements DeRosa.

https://www.cyclingtime.com/modules/m...ing200506.html
Old 11-01-05, 05:31 AM
v1nce

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although this is kind off an interesting discussion (with some well thought out statements as well as some inane ones) i have to stress, i just don't think anyone can make any blanket statements for any future scenarios concerning any material. Nobody can oversee all the angles and look into the minds of all consumers.

Sure, for some 3600 US might make a fairly affordable frame or bike. For 99% of people i know they'd rather take a shotgun blast to the face than spend even half that money on a bike. These boards are not a cross section of cyclists, they do probably do not even represent the majority of buying power for cycling.

A little off-topic.:

Composites materials used in houses and other applications, sure that will happen and is happening but i don't think there is any basis to think that any large portion of houses are likely to be build with lots of composities in the short term. In the 60 and 70's people raved about Aluminium siding, "Space Age technologies" Buckminister Fullers' Gedoesic Domes etc etc. Some people adopted these techniques and houses.

How many people do you know right now who own a dome house or have used lots of Aluminium in their houses outer shell? Probably none.

Bottom line, composites (which are by definition high embodied energy and high manufactering) products and bikes will probably always be around or at least as long as oil holds out. Simpler and easier to produce and work materials such as wood, earth, steel and such will also always be around as long as supplies hold out (which is probably a heck of a lot longer with the exception of wood perhaps). But which one will be dominant, well it is hard to say, and impossible to say for sure. But i put my money on simpler products and materials. I hope it is them as two Irak wars and the current amount of pollution and dependency on mutlinationals/big bizz is plenty for my taste...

A case could be made that a conscentious/environmentally minded cyclist would opt for steel frames from small manufacturers rather than line the pockets of the equivalents of 'Microsoft' in the cycling and oil industry by buying their composites. But hey buy whatever you want, i have an opinion but i am not telling anyone what they should do or think, just thinking out loud...
Old 11-01-05, 07:44 AM
cs1

Originally Posted by v1nce
Although this is kind off an interesting discussion (with some well thought out statements as well as some inane ones) i have to stress, i just don't think anyone can make any blanket statements for any future scenarios concerning any material. Nobody can oversee all the angles and look into the minds of all consumers.

Sure, for some 3600 US might make a fairly affordable frame or bike. For 99% of people i know they'd rather take a shotgun blast to the face than spend even half that money on a bike. These boards are not a cross section of cyclists, they do probably do not even represent the majority of buying power for cycling.

A little off-topic.:

Composites materials used in houses and other applications, sure that will happen and is happening but i don't think there is any basis to think that any large portion of houses are likely to be build with lots of composities in the short term. In the 60 and 70's people raved about Aluminium siding, "Space Age technologies" Buckminister Fullers' Gedoesic Domes etc etc. Some people adopted these techniques and houses.

How many people do you know right now who own a dome house or have used lots of Aluminium in their houses outer shell? Probably none.

Bottom line, composites (which are by definition high embodied energy and high manufactering) products and bikes will probably always be around or at least as long as oil holds out. Simpler and easier to produce and work materials such as wood, earth, steel and such will also always be around as long as supplies hold out (which is probably a heck of a lot longer with the exception of wood perhaps). But which one will be dominant, well it is hard to say, and impossible to say for sure. But i put my money on simpler products and materials. I hope it is them as two Irak wars and the current amount of pollution and dependency on mutlinationals/big bizz is plenty for my taste...

A case could be made that a conscentious/environmentally minded cyclist would opt for steel frames from small manufacturers rather than line the pockets of the equivalents of 'Microsoft' in the cycling and oil industry by buying their composites. But hey buy whatever you want, i have an opinion but i am not telling anyone what they should do or think, just thinking out loud...
Well said, I believe most of the people here forget that they are not the norm. Most of the posters here, myslef included, are fanatics about our sport. Carbon will probably never filter down to low end bikes or mass market bikes. Though the price continues to go lower it's still a very expensive and hard to machine material.

Tim