Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Gout again

Old 02-13-18, 07:07 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Gout again

Previously I posted about the gout my wife has been experiencing. She tried the cherry extract and the celery seed extract but still has a problem. So last week she went to our GP and he put her on Prednisone for 10 days. Not much help.
So wondering if a podiatrist should be the next visit?
Wondering how those of you have proceeded?
Thanks!
Old 02-13-18, 09:42 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 222 Posts
Tom, I feel your wife's pain as I suffered from gout for years. About ten years ago my urologist prescribed Allopurinol to help reduce the levels of uric acid in my body. That and being careful to drink plenty of water have virtually eliminated my gout attacks. Based on my experience, a visit to a urologist would be more helpful than a podiatrist. Your family doctor could also help with this.

Each gout attack harms the affected joint a little more so I hope your wife finds relief soon.

Best of luck, Don

Last edited by GeezyRider; 02-13-18 at 09:46 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 02-13-18, 11:10 AM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Try to get a definitive diagnosis.Blood test for Uric acid level and better yet extracting fluid from effected joint to try to find actual gout crystals.
I have had gout for 35 + years.
The only thing that will stop an acute attach is a strong anti inflammatory.
I use colcrys formally known as colchicine.
All are hard on the stomache.
I average a flare every two years now.
I have used a daily maintance drug for 25 + years called probenecid. Also do not get dehydrated.
I would also recommend total abstinence from alcohol.
I suffered greatly before being properly diagnosed and treated.
Old 02-14-18, 07:38 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I used to get pretty bad attacks of gout. I have been on allopurinol for about 25 years and had no more incidents. I am not aware of any side effects but there could always be some stealth ones.
Old 02-14-18, 08:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Previously I posted about the gout my wife has been experiencing. She tried the cherry extract and the celery seed extract but still has a problem. So last week she went to our GP and he put her on Prednisone for 10 days. Not much help.
Thanks!

right away
  • needs a 2nd dose of prednisone (her doctor should know this)
  • cut all meat (all meat, even chicken) & alcohol (yeah really)
  • force fluids

then
  • twice during the day 16 ozs of water should have apple cider vinegar (the unfiltered natural kind) not much just a cpl tablespoons. not tasty, just drink it
  • twice during the day 16 ozs of water & juice from 1 lemon (fresh squeezed)
  • zero meds (yeah really)

eventually she can work the meat & alcohol back in

skip the extracts, they're useless

EDIT: forgot to write: eggs are OK! be creative & check out the frozen products by Quorn. toast them up in an oven or toaster oven. they will help get you thru the 1st cpl weeks

https://www.quorn.us/products/spicy-chicken-patty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1100284 (2).jpg (292.0 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-15-18 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 03:28 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I've only had one gout attack, but it was excruciatingly painful (as most are). In my big toe. It came on after an intense 50 mile bike ride. Not sure if anything else triggered it, don't recall what I ate, I hydrated during and after the ride, but I did have wine that evening. After a couple of days of pain and suffering I went to the doc.

Indomethecin (75mg) was prescribed, the gout was relieved in a day. Only needed two of the 24 tablets provided. It did make me drowsy and a bit dizzy however, wouldn't want to drive, but the relief was worth staying put and lounging on the couch for a day. Thankfully (knock on wood) I've not had a re-occurrence.
Old 03-05-18, 04:48 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My mother in law had gout. I told her to add unfiltered apple cider vinegar to her drinking water. Sip, don't guzzle, all day... as much as you can. Relief should be realized within a few days but improved within 2 days,
Then just add it to water twice a day for maintenance.
I've had a few people praise this advice, so spend $4 and try it. Then share with others
Old 05-02-18, 08:09 PM
Tombstone71

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gou

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Thanks!
Gout really sucks. Id rather have my foot cut off. My doctor gives me pain meds and a toradol shot and it helps a little. Stay away from energy drinks. They contain niacin and some of it elevates uric acid levels. My doctor said stay away from it. Cherry juice and raw cherries help heal quicker but overall it takes time with a lot of pain. Since I dropped the monster and rock star drinks my gout attacks are rare now. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-18, 10:49 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I used to get very painful bouts of it. had two foot surgeries to remove bunions (was born with flat feet, could not walk until almost 2 yrs old). Figured out that my diet of beer and shellfich just didn't mesh. Rarely eat red meat, stay away from the crabs. I get a case every couple of years and treat it with prednisone, stomach will not allow me to take large amounts of any NSAID.