Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Road tire patch

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Road tire patch

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 12:23 PM
John9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road tire patch

Any suggestions for patching a small puncture on a road tire? It's a very small puncture where the tire comes into contact with the road, and most likely from rolling over glass or through a construction zone. The puncture doesn't go all the way down to the tube, so I was hoping i may be able to fix the issue before it gets worse and I have to buy a new set of tires. Bought these Specialized Roubaix Pro tires about 700 miles ago, so they have plenty of life left in them.
Old 06-06-18, 12:46 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In my experience, there really isn't anything good for filling the crack in the rubber and you're just as well off to leave it. I've tried super glue, rubber cement, gorilla glue, none of it really adheres to the rubber, or it gets too brittle to do any good. If you're REALLY worried about it, you could glue a tube patch on it from the under side. I will sometimes slap a tube patch inside my tubeless tires if the same spot opens up frequently, no reason it wouldn't work for a tube setup.
Old 06-06-18, 01:28 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Yeah, Shoe-goo or super glue might help, might not, can't hurt.
Once you got the bit of glass or whatever out of there most of the danger of cutting through the casing is gone, but you can try to stop new bits from getting in there by filling it up.
Old 06-06-18, 01:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by John9
very small puncture where the tire comes into contact with the road
got a photo?
Old 06-06-18, 02:04 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
im guessing you could use a vinyl leather repair kit, providing you first clean the surface with acetone so it bonds

or you could patch [tube repair kit] the inside of the tyre if you were worried about it
Old 06-06-18, 02:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
The big thing is to make sure you get all the glass or whatever out. The likelihood of the cut itself causing any future issues is very small unless the initial cut is quite big. I'd just ignore it. (If you ShooGoo in even the smallest piece of glass, that glass will cause a future flat. Trust me.)

Edit: for smal cuts, I just use a regular innertube patch on the inside of the casing to keep debris out and the tube bulging into the cut. Larger and I use structurally strong casing patches from Dacron sailcloth (but that calls for another thread).

Ben
Old 06-06-18, 02:29 PM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've used Shoe-goo after pulling out metal shards & glass from a tire. I would like to believe it helped prevent small grit from getting into the hole making it bigger and/or puncturing the tube, but, I have no proof other than I never flatted due something getting into that exact same spot.
I think the few flats I've experienced were result of the shard passing all the way through the tire case touching the tube on the ride it was picked up on, or, on subsequent rides where I didn't inspect and pull out shards before the next ride(s) and it worked deeper until it hit the tube.
Old 06-06-18, 02:31 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Shoe Goo.
Force a dab into the (usually a cut) with the tip of a screwdriver.
I do it almost weekly in the winter.
Old 06-07-18, 01:45 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Shoe Goo on my hybrid tires. Doesn't work as well on my road bike slicks. So I patch the inside of the tire where it's been cut enough to be visible when the tire is inflated. I use the ultra-thin Lezyne self-sticking patches on both the tubes and tires. They're paper thin so they don't interfere with seating tires even on tight fitting rims. I figure the patch will help slow down debris from infiltrating the tiny cuts. Seems to work. I managed to keep another tire going for a few months even after it had been sliced up by broken slate. I finally had to scrap the tire when one cut finally wore through the inner shield and began to avulse.
Old 06-07-18, 01:06 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by John9
Any suggestions for patching a small puncture on a road tire? It's a very small puncture where the tire comes into contact with the road, and most likely from rolling over glass or through a construction zone. The puncture doesn't go all the way down to the tube, so I was hoping i may be able to fix the issue before it gets worse and I have to buy a new set of tires. Bought these Specialized Roubaix Pro tires about 700 miles ago, so they have plenty of life left in them.
Plug it. With tubless tires has come the need to plug cuts like these. I would think this would fix you up nicely.

google: Blackburn Plugger Tubeless Tire Repair Kit
or
bicycle tubeless tire plug kit

I have a set in my bike bag. I've used these (larger version) on my cars and they work great.
Old 06-07-18, 01:19 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Shoe Goo on my hybrid tires. Doesn't work as well on my road bike slicks. So I patch the inside of the tire where it's been cut enough to be visible when the tire is inflated. I use the ultra-thin Lezyne self-sticking patches on both the tubes and tires. They're paper thin so they don't interfere with seating tires even on tight fitting rims. I figure the patch will help slow down debris from infiltrating the tiny cuts. Seems to work. I managed to keep another tire going for a few months even after it had been sliced up by broken slate. I finally had to scrap the tire when one cut finally wore through the inner shield and began to avulse.

Just the other day I was wondering if there were specific tube patches for skinny road tubes
I was slicing my regular patches to size to make them fit

how do they hold up on high PSI?

BTW, on one of the tubes, it had a very thin green patch which needed to be re-patched i wonder if it's the same product you're referring to

Last edited by le mans; 06-07-18 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 01:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
or this

https://bikerumor.com/2010/11/23/rev...ire-patch-kit/
Old 06-07-18, 02:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by le mans
Just the other day I was wondering if there were specific tube patches for skinny road tubes
I was slicing my regular patches to size to make them fit
how do they hold up on high PSI?

BTW, on one of the tubes, it had a very thin green patch which needed to be re-patched i wonder if it's the same product you're referring to
The Lezyne patch kits are great. Comes in a little plastic envelope, dimensions smaller than a credit card, about the thickness of three cards. Includes self sticking patches that are paper thin but very tough; a tire boot for bad cuts, thin but tough plastic with the kit instructions printed, a metal scuffer.a

The regular tube patches hold against small cuts on my road bike tires, usually 90-100 psi. If the cut goes through the inner puncture shield it probably needs the tire boot and the tire should be replaced. Some folks will repair cut tires that are otherwise in good shape, but that's a topic for another thread and covered in the archives.

I've been satisfied enough with the Lezyne patch kits they're all I carry for myself. On casual group rides I'll bring a regular adhesive glue patch kit for the newbies. Folks who aren't accustomed to the self sticking patches tend be skeptical. Can't speak for the Park and other brands but the Lezyne has been great for me.
Old 06-07-18, 06:17 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'd be really surprised if this is in any way different than a tube patch kit. I've been using tube patches on the inside of tubeless tires for years.
Old 06-07-18, 07:04 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
If you were trying to close a hole in rubber, wouldn't vulcanizing compound be the stuff to use?