Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Groton, CT Summer '18 - Can I get from the Trolley Trail onto Neptune Road yet?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Groton, CT Summer '18 - Can I get from the Trolley Trail onto Neptune Road yet?

Old 06-06-18, 05:35 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Groton, CT - Still Unanswered:Can I get from the Trolley Trail onto Neptune Road yet?

I do variations on a ride from the New London Ferry Terminal to Misquamicut Beach in Rhode Island every summer. In previous years, I was able to exit the Groton Trolley Trail onto Neptune Road and ride though Groton Long Point and Noank on my way up. More recently, Neptune Road has been gated off and I've had to cross the old AMTRAK bridge in Haley Farm State Park to continue toward Mystic. This is fine, but I remember GLP and Noank being highlights of those earlier rides.

By any chance, have the residents of these communities had a change of heart toward cyclists and opened up the gate for 2018?

Last edited by Papa Tom; 06-08-18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 02:57 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I don't think your complaint is with Groton Long Point, or with Noank, but rather with the private-way subdivision of Mumford Cove which put up the fence - to the apparent annoyance of residents of the more open communities to the east as well.
Old 06-07-18, 04:28 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by UniChris
I don't think your complaint is with Groton Long Point, or with Noank, but rather with the private-way subdivision of Mumford Cove which put up the fence - to the apparent annoyance of residents of the more open communities to the east as well.
That's right. I've been corrected on that one before. Thanks for pointing it out.

I don't really have a "complaint." I'd like to suppose there was once a problem with cyclists cutting through the neighborhood and causing some type of problem. If that's the case, I can understand why the passage from the trail was gated off. If it was just an uneducated, misguided move made by a civic association that has nobody on board with any cycling background, then that's a shame.

Anyway, Bluff Point and Haley Farms Park are really nice places to ride through, so it wouldn't be a deal-breaker if that gate is still locked at Neptune. I just want to know so I can plan. Living on Long Island makes checking it out in advance kind of hard.

Hey, Uni...what are YOU doing in that part of CT on one wheel?
Old 06-07-18, 04:36 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Hey, Uni...what are YOU doing in that part of CT on one wheel?
Have relatives in Noank, but generally not out there with anything to ride.
Old 06-07-18, 04:48 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by UniChris
Have relatives in Noank, but generally not out there with anything to ride.
Well, if you own a bicycle and are ever looking for a good ride, take the Orient Point Ferry from the northeastern end of Long Island to New London, CT. Then bike your way over to Noank and on to Mystic. I can give you a route that keeps you off major roads most of the way.
Old 06-08-18, 08:33 PM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
You can still sort of get through. There's a green DEP pipe gate to the left of the fence. Hop that and follow the grassy double track down to the pump station and take a right out to the street. The path is not private property. The town has some keep out signs around the pump station but by the time you see them you're almost on the street anyhow.

Don't miss cutting through Barn Island mgt area on the way to Westerly.
Old 06-09-18, 05:46 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by rangie
You can still sort of get through. There's a green DEP pipe gate to the left of the fence. Hop that and follow the grassy double track down to the pump station and take a right out to the street. The path is not private property. The town has some keep out signs around the pump station but by the time you see them you're almost on the street anyhow.

Don't miss cutting through Barn Island mgt area on the way to Westerly.
My bike is pretty well loaded for this trip, so I don't see myself "hopping" anything. Did you mean I'd literally have to pick up the bike and put it over the gate? Not gonna happen.

Also, if the residents are going to be hostile, I don't want to ruin the otherwise awesome vibe of this ride by sneaking into their neighborhood. My question was whether the gate is now open and cyclists are welcomed. I guess the answer is still no.

PS-Can you tell me more about Barn Island?

Last edited by Papa Tom; 06-09-18 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-09-18, 01:33 PM
cdale56

Bikes: Lemond, Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No you cannot get on Neptune Drive from the trolley trail and that metal fence that they put up there to prevent that is still there and apparently that area is all private roads. Was just there. The trolley right of way goes on however, along a dirt/grass right of right and comes out at a road called Haley Crescent which is still- possibly part of the private enclave. This way is basically a narrow strip of dirt path that was not only completely passable, but surprisingly dry for me after a rainy spell. (was on my Surly Long Haul Trucker with 28s) The obstacles are that fore mentioned gate which I do not recall having any problem with, and a big rock that required slowing up for or dismounting and walking around. Not exactly sure of land status the end, but I am sure that if any of it was private land, that they would have put have up the same "keep out" signs that line the right of way.
Old 06-09-18, 02:47 PM
Papa Tom

cdale...

When I reach that sharp left turn that goes uphill and takes me over the AMTRAK bridge, I've seen that, if I were to continue straight instead, there is a narrow dirt trail that goes somewhere unknown. I have often wondered if it leads to a point further down Neptune or somewhere in that neighborhood. However, it is always overgrown and I've never wanted to risk tick bites or getting my loaded rig stuck in the grass somewhere, so I haven't explored it. Is this the "dirt/grass right-of-way" you described that leads to Haley Crescent (which is not shown on Google Maps, from what i can see)?
Old 06-09-18, 03:26 PM
cdale56

Bikes: Lemond, Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This is the way I go- the dashed line that is south of the AMTRAK RR tracks and kind of parallels Neptune southward. Gmaps pedometer site has USGS maps that show it. This map from that site.

Last edited by cdale56; 06-09-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 05:30 PM
Papa Tom

So I'm guessing that the fork just above where it says "Train Track Trail" is where I usually make the sharp left toward the AMTRAK bridge? If that's the case, you ride a pretty long way after that on grass and dirt, huh?
Old 06-09-18, 09:57 PM
rangie

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
So I'm guessing that the fork just above where it says "Train Track Trail" is where I usually make the sharp left toward the AMTRAK bridge? If that's the case, you ride a pretty long way after that on grass and dirt, huh?
Have a look at the strava heat map. Tons of tracks. The trail dosent get much much maintenance and can be pretty high grass.

Barn Island-

I'm assuming you're heading north on rt 1 through Mystic and Stonington. Turn right on Greenhaven rd. Then right again to follow the sign for barn island. Theres a gravel double track across the salt marshes (stay along the water and you can't go wrong) that runs you further down Greenhaven. You can just follow the coast around to Pawcatuck. This will add a few miles but is more scenic and gets you around a narrow strech of rt 1.

If you like Noank you might want to detour through Stonington borough down to the lighthouse.

If you're going through on on weekend Fort Griswold in Groton is worth a visit. The fort is open anytime but you can climb up into the monument on weekends and holidays.

Last edited by rangie; 06-09-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 05:21 AM
Papa Tom

Have a look at the strava heat map. Tons of tracks. The trail dosent get much much maintenance and can be pretty high grass.
So you're saying it's NOT really rideable? I'm not a Strava guy, so I can't get to street level to see what you are talking about.

Barn Island-
I'm assuming you're heading north on rt 1 through Mystic and Stonington. Turn right on Greenhaven rd. Then right again to follow the sign for barn island. Theres a gravel double track across the salt marshes (stay along the water and you can't go wrong) that runs you further down Greenhaven. You can just follow the coast around to Pawcatuck. This will add a few miles but is more scenic and gets you around a narrow strech of rt 1.
Sorry, what I meant was, can you tell me more about what there is to see and do at Barn Island? I see it is a wildlife preserve.

If you like Noank you might want to detour through Stonington borough down to the lighthouse.
Been to Stonington many times. In the 1800's, ferries from Greenport, Long Island carried Long Island Rail Road passengers and freight to this village to connect with trains to Boston. I wrote a book about the railroad back in the 1990's and visited Stonington for the first time around then. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a trace of the railroad or ferry station. Nor could I find anyone with any knowledge or photos of it. I have since been back about a dozen times just for the vibe. Did you ever see that movie with Meryll Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, and Steve Carell filmed in Stonington?

If you're going through on on weekend Fort Griswold in Groton is worth a visit. The fort is open anytime but you can climb up into the monument on weekends and holidays.
I will take a look at it. Thanks!
Old 06-10-18, 06:12 AM
rangie

The trail is totally ridable. Check for ticks.

Anyone can view the heatmap and its a super useful tool for route planning. Strava Heatmap

Barn Island is a state management area with trails. The main one is gravel doubletrack across the salt marshes. Views of little Naragansett bay, sandy point island and Napatree point. Best part is, it gets you off a bad strech of Rt1 if you continue around Greenhaven rd to Mechanic st.
Old 06-10-18, 06:23 AM
Papa Tom

OK, now that I know where the dirt trail leads, maybe I will give it a shot this year.

I was unable to zoom past a certain point on the Strava Heat Map. Before I could get to any useful view, I got a pop-up message advising that only members could get beyond that zoom level. I'd rather get my info from real people in real English anyway.

Barn Island sounds like a place for mountain biking. I'll be riding with a trunk bag and full panniers on both sides, day lighting, mp3 player and speakers, etc. No mountain biking for me. And the gravel along the train tracks is just about as much as I care to do on this kind of trip.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 06-10-18, 08:32 AM
rangie

Ok. Duck underneath rather than hop over.
Old 06-10-18, 08:54 AM
Papa Tom

That's a VERY helpful photo, as it's just as I remember it from last summer. If I were riding my mountain bike unloaded with knobby tires, that'd be passable. But not on THIS thing (see below). And my new panniers hang about four inches lower.