Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

I'm friendly with the local rubbish removal guy...

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 07-25-19, 02:23 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts

... and I wrench his old rigid steel all-terrain bike bike as needed, which is seldom because he works too much and rides too little.
Of course I don't charge him anything, except first refusal of anything with two wheels that he digs out while doing his removals.
As we all know, it is amazing what some people consider not worth taking when they move (or die).
Today he dropped off his own bike to get a pedal serviced and gave me this old black Raleigh GP as a gift for taking care of the job.

I will wash it and my wife will polish and wax it before it goes onto the storage rack.

It is too tall for me (65cm) but will fit someone in Toronto.

Binky

Likes For Binky:
Old 07-25-19, 02:43 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
The city I live in has a "Recycle Center" where people take stuff they don't need. I've seen bikes there, some pretty decent. They will not let ANYONE take anything out. I've asked for the local co-op.

I now call them the "Scrap Center". They would rather get 50 cents scrap out of a bike than sell it for more, or let someone get use out of it..... I would gladly cover the scrap cost if they would ave them for the co-op.

Warped sense of "green" in my book. Rather than get the BEST use out of a discarded item, they prefer to get the lowest use (scrap).
Likes For wrk101:
Old 07-25-19, 04:03 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by wrk101
The city I live in has a "Recycle Center" where people take stuff they don't need. I've seen bikes there, some pretty decent. They will not let ANYONE take anything out. I've asked for the local co-op.

I now call them the "Scrap Center". They would rather get 50 cents scrap out of a bike than sell it for more, or let someone get use out of it..... I would gladly cover the scrap cost if they would ave them for the co-op.

Warped sense of "green" in my book. Rather than get the BEST use out of a discarded item, they prefer to get the lowest use (scrap).

The municipal dumps here apparently have liability issues: if an employee of theirs steps on a nail on their property, Workman's Compensation will take care of the paperwork.
If I go onto their property and hurt myself, there will be unwelcome consequences.
As a result, sometimes good stuff goes in and nothing comes out.
There is a raised platform with gates for citizens to toss trash from, but no way for stuff to ever come back up.
Warped, indeed. And the scrap metal buyers are just as bad.
Because bikes are painted steel and aluminum, rubber and plastic, they are considered "Mixed Scrap" and new 9 to 12 cents per pound.
I tell the scrap guys that they can get $10 or more from me for any old 10-speed racer, instead of $3 tops from the scrap metal dealer.
Old 07-25-19, 05:00 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
^ Yes, we have a local "dump" station/recycler that charges people to bring things in, aside from cardboard. You can unload broken down cardboard for free. Everything else they charge you by weight or number of bags, as all of this stuff is headed elsewhere. The area that I am in is pretty well to do, bordering on upscale considering the service area. I have seen some BEAUTIFUL items, and more than just bicycles offloaded in the scrap section and they absolutely, positively will not let you take it back out for any manner of bantering and begging. The (off topic) item that bugged me the most about it was a grill that was loaded out there that was perfect in every way and a matching model to one I had at home with a bad hinge. I tried like heck to get them to budge on a "swap out".
Old 07-25-19, 06:02 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

Thanks very much for sharing this new arrival.

She looks like she just came out the carton!

Please upgrade the Formosan pedals prior to sending off with a new owner.

-----
Old 07-25-19, 07:10 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Thanks very much for sharing this new arrival.

She looks like she just came out the carton!

Please upgrade the Formosan pedals prior to sending off with a new owner.

-----
The surprise for me was the Shimano 600 brake levers.
The callipers are Shimano Tourney and the derailleurs are SunTour.
Sakae stem, post and cranks.
Alloy rims are marked R A H .... which in new to me.

Binky
Old 07-26-19, 04:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a Canadian market Grand Prix, circa 1980. The combination of Suntour Vx rear derailleur, SunTour NSL front derailleur, Shimano Tourney brakeset and Shimano 600EX brake levers is OEM.