Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bike Flipping 101

Old 05-28-18, 06:51 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Juliansdad
Hello
I have a vintage BSA racing bike that I was told was raced on a track in the 30's or 40's. Its a very unique looking bike and I think pretty rare.
Would you know where I may show this for sale?
I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Juliansdad
For $12 you can list it in the Classic and Vintage for sale section. Good for a year's membership.
Old 10-31-18, 05:04 PM
IndianaMitch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Good info
Old 12-15-18, 08:42 AM
Johnnybikes

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite, Flandria, Pinarello Montello Cromonero, schwinn world sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Great info, helpful

John
Old 02-15-19, 06:09 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
For me, half the fun of flipping is the great unknown. You never know what you will find in someone's garage. It can be anything from a guy convinced his old rusty, pos is a vintage gem, to a flawless, unused survivor sold for peanuts. I've seen plenty of both.

Last edited by kross57; 02-15-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 05:03 PM
messinbessin

Bikes: Giant Trace 2 '16, Pinarello Asolo, 80's Gardin (TNT?), Miele's, Falcon Team Banana, Marinoni Delta Dura Ace 25th Anniversary, '94 KHS ZH2B Aero Turbo, Raleigh R700 '99, Fuji Ace '88, Softride Powercurve, Norco's, Devinci's

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Man, I love reading this thread!
I guess I am a flipper by accident, probably like a few others. I just wanted a half-decent road bike, without spending too much. 5 years later, I think I am a legitimate flipper, but only because I can't resist a bargain, or a 'rescue-bike'. I have bought around 50 bikes in the past 4 years, sold half and still have about 25 in the garage. I have bought bikes with the express intention of reselling after a rebuild, and even with the one's that had hidden issues, I have managed to make a profit on.
My philosophy is not to sell something unsafe, or unfit. I prefer low to mid-range road bikes from the 80's and 90's (non-dept stores), with Shimano groupsets and Araya alloy rims, at a minimum. They restore beautifully; I'll strip, degrease and polish alloy parts (Mothers Mag), remove rust from every nut, chrome trim (forks/FR etc) using a wash, or aluminum foil/water and fully polish the frame. Bearings repacked or replaced, wheels trued (within acceptable tolerances!), cones adjusted and bearings checked. Cables replaced and housing, if needed. New bartape, if needed. Tires and tubes replaced, if needed.
Basically, once the bike is safe, it's all about the aesthetic; it has to look irresistible! I always photograph outdoors and with multiple close-ups, a good, honest description, and I am always responsive (within an hour or so) to inquiries. I usually use Kijiji to buy and sell on.
I still think it takes dedication to make any kind of a living at flipping, but as a way to finance a great hobby, it can't be beat! Here's a sample:

Old 03-09-19, 05:56 AM
kross57

I notice the appraisals given here tend to be on the low side, at least for my area. Bike prices are very dependent on your region, so you really need to pay attention to your local market. Especially if you don't ship.

I sell small items (parts) over ebay. For bikes, I sell through craigslist and fb marketplace.

I find that people tend to want bikes road ready. They don't want bikes that are projects or need any kind of work. Clean, shiny, and ready to ride sells the best.

Last edited by kross57; 03-09-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 09:53 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts

What do you think, worth it for flipping?:

https://salem.craigslist.org/bik/d/r...827067607.html
Old 03-30-19, 06:43 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
If you are planning to flip bikes, you need to know values in your area...
I generally prefer to buy locally (craigslist) and sell nationally (ebay). Better returns that way. The Giordana above: I didn't do anything more than shine it up and take some good pictures, and more than doubled my money on it, even after the cost of shipping, on ebay.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I took the plastic toe clips off, and put a different saddle on for the photos.
Old 05-16-19, 10:10 PM
cromagnum

Bikes: a bunch of stuff partial list its becoming a disease 69 Drake 3 spd 87Lotus elan 75, Atala 1988 corsa professionista, Matsuri track kieran bike 1972 astra tour de france

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't intend to flip bikes but now I have little choice I'm running out of space. Within a short period I have accumulated almost 50 bikes. I first just wanted to buy a few clunkers and spend no more that 20 per and then relearn how to do repairs I attended a bicycle repair class and at the end of the class the instructor had a bike he was going to throw out because someone stole the rims off it when it was stored at the school. Boom 1987 Lotus Elan 75 freebie. Went to a garage sale looking for a auto mechanics tool chest sold but in the corner a bicycle with beautiful gold paint and a flip flop rear wheel bought for $20 Matsuri Kieran racing bike. Long story short I fix them up not restorations but make them safe and refurbish (no painting) and now starting to cull the herd. It is true what they say it all depends on the market and location try and sell a road bike on the Jersey shore ng a beach cruiser or a english 3 speed perfect. Road bike williamsburg brooklyn yep beach bike no 3 speed english yes.
Old 06-17-19, 12:50 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 188 Posts
The Bonus Basket

This is an idea I wish I had thought of years ago: The Bonus Basket. I stock it with items I might want if purchasing a bike: bottles and cages, multitools, a patch kit, leg straps, bells, bottle of lube, etc.

When a customer wants to purchase a bike from me and is getting ready to pay, I whip out the previously hidden Bonus Basket (a real wicker bike basket, complete with leather straps), and ask, would you like to select a free item from the Bonus Basket? Of course they do! And if they select a bottle cage, I'll install it for free on the spot.

This is where people get gleeful. When I did this yesterday to a woman who was purchasing a hybrid, she said, you are so cool, and selected a frame bag for her new ride.

The BB serves two purposes: Clear out odds and ends from my stock, and give buyers something to remember. No matter what they think of me or the bike, they will probably remember choosing their free item from the Bonus Basket.

Likes For bargainguy:
Old 07-07-19, 08:44 AM
wobrien

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Elvish Mixte - what would you do?

I can get this bike for about $40. This would not be a bike that I would keep so after a few rides I would sell it. It is 1.5 hours away so I have not seen it yet. Assuming it needs little more than tuning it looks like a good bike if the price is right. Would you change out the brakes to modern mounted brakes? What is the most that you would pay for it. I would expect it to sell for about $80 to $100 so getting it for less than $40 would help the decision a lot.

Your thoughts on the buy price, sell price, brakes and anything else would be helpful.

thanks.
Old 07-07-19, 10:10 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I would consider it if local. But being a 3 hour round trip with a chance of it having problems? I'd pass.
Old 07-07-19, 11:27 AM
wobrien

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I would consider it if local. But being a 3 hour round trip with a chance of it having problems? I'd pass.
I wouldn’t drive three hours for it either. I will be driving by his town a couple of times in the next month so I could pick it up on one of those trips with no problem. I am in a much bigger town so I could sell it easier than him but I still think it will be pretty slow to sell.
Old 07-21-19, 03:51 PM
optimusprime8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of great info here, took me quite a while to go through it.
Old 07-21-19, 05:00 PM
Chatwithyou

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks good.
Old 08-01-19, 10:23 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I want to flip but here in Uruguay ****ty bikes are costy just like GTs or Scotts. I bought a GT Palomar 2013 with no chain, no shifter and no derailleour. Put it some used parts, an eye cat (lol) and sold it. Bought it for 72$ and sold for 116$. Not great profit
Old 08-02-19, 12:19 PM
messinbessin

Bikes: Giant Trace 2 '16, Pinarello Asolo, 80's Gardin (TNT?), Miele's, Falcon Team Banana, Marinoni Delta Dura Ace 25th Anniversary, '94 KHS ZH2B Aero Turbo, Raleigh R700 '99, Fuji Ace '88, Softride Powercurve, Norco's, Devinci's

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
So, I have done the math (several times!) and I am in the very happy position where I can say my bike-selling has fully paid for the bikes I am keeping.
It has taken about 4 years of buying, rebuilding and selling, but just an evening here and there per week.
I have had about 62 bikes go through the garage, I've spent about $9,100 (CDN) including all new parts required for resale bikes, and had total sales of $9,200.

The bikes I am keeping (including bikes for the family), number about 17 or so for me personally. They are a great mix of 80's, 90's and 00's, and mainly road and track bikes; Miele, Panasonic, KHS, Steve Bauer, Aquila, Falcon, Soren Son, Alpina, Norco, Fuji, Specialized, Raleigh and Marinoni. All are mid-upper range examples in amazing condition in Columbus, Reynolds 531, True Temper or Tange Infinity, Ishiwata EX or Tange No2. The next phase will be to continue and add a few more 'Italians' to the stable

I have really enjoyed the sales aspect and I am pleased that not one of my customers left less than happy (and a few ecstatic!) and non have taken me up on my return policy!
Anyway, just wanted to share my experience of a hobby that pays for itself, and can leave a trail of happy customers!
Cheers!
Likes For messinbessin:
Old 08-02-19, 02:39 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Just bought this piece of ****...poor Agressor. Front 27.5 wheel looks like a Banana. Rear 26 is bad too. Can't move up the sit. All terra cranks. Shimano 7 speed but no derailleour. Black spray painted. For 20 dollar it cost what should be better, repair it or part it out? Ohh, and no brakes :/
Old 08-04-19, 02:21 PM
pspin

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry working towards my ten posts as a new member.
Old 08-04-19, 05:16 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Originally Posted by Nahuel_B58

Just bought this piece of ****...poor Agressor. Front 27.5 wheel looks like a Banana. Rear 26 is bad too. Can't move up the sit. All terra cranks. Shimano 7 speed but no derailleour. Black spray painted. For 20 dollar it cost what should be better, repair it or part it out? Ohh, and no brakes :/
Parted out. Seat tube is not liking to be moving out of the frame. Tried with heat, with cold, with a hammer, with WD40 and nothing could even move it. Centered the 27.5 wheel and sold it for the same price i got the whole bike.
Old 08-07-19, 09:19 AM
wobrien

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by messinbessin
So, I have done the math (several times!) and I am in the very happy position where I can say my bike-selling has fully paid for the bikes I am keeping.
It has taken about 4 years of buying, rebuilding and selling, but just an evening here and there per week.
I have had about 62 bikes go through the garage, I've spent about $9,100 (CDN) including all new parts required for resale bikes, and had total sales of $9,200.

The bikes I am keeping (including bikes for the family), number about 17 or so for me personally. They are a great mix of 80's, 90's and 00's, and mainly road and track bikes; Miele, Panasonic, KHS, Steve Bauer, Aquila, Falcon, Soren Son, Alpina, Norco, Fuji, Specialized, Raleigh and Marinoni. All are mid-upper range examples in amazing condition in Columbus, Reynolds 531, True Temper or Tange Infinity, Ishiwata EX or Tange No2. The next phase will be to continue and add a few more 'Italians' to the stable

I have really enjoyed the sales aspect and I am pleased that not one of my customers left less than happy (and a few ecstatic!) and non have taken me up on my return policy!
Anyway, just wanted to share my experience of a hobby that pays for itself, and can leave a trail of happy customers!
Cheers!
So are the cost of the 17 bikes that you have kept included in the $9,100 that you spent? If so then it sounds like you have a very nice hobby going. Enjoy!
Old 08-08-19, 10:46 AM
messinbessin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yes - that includes the bikes I am keeping. Now I have to figure out which are really long term keepers, and trade/sell others and move up the 'food chain'. I really do want to ride them all periodically!
Old 08-09-19, 08:55 AM
kross57

I've flipped 25 bikes in the past 10 months, mostly 80s road bikes. Made a nice profit and ended up with 4 super free bikes for my wife and myself, and 2 for my nephews. I know much more now about bike maintenance and repair, and about vintage sales. It's been an incredible learning experience and a load of fun. This forum has been very helpful.
Likes For kross57:
Old 08-14-19, 09:30 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Nahuel_B58
I want to flip but here in Uruguay ****ty bikes are costy just like GTs or Scotts. I bought a GT Palomar 2013 with no chain, no shifter and no derailleour. Put it some used parts, an eye cat (lol) and sold it. Bought it for 72$ and sold for 116$. Not great profit
In markets where bikes are not worth flipping, often parts are worth flipping. No idea what SA eBay market is like. Here in the US, its still pretty strong.

Note on part outs, the parts need to be desirable. Some parts have little or no value. So you need to learn what the market WILL pay for, and avoid the rest.

And sometimes the BEST flips are bikes you pay a lot for, instead of cheap bikes. I've bought bikes for $500 and sold for $1000. Around here, you can't make money refurbishing a $50 bike. Lets see, buy bike for $50, spend 4 to 6 hours time on repairing it, plus $75 in parts, and sell for $100. Total, complete waste of time. If you just like wrenching on bikes, volunteer at a co op instead. There you can get the same satisfaction if not more, with zero money spent.
Old 08-17-19, 03:19 PM
RobRees

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Working on new member posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.