Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire choice for Trek Pilot 5.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 11:04 AM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Traded for a 58 cm Pilot 5.2 this weekend. Not sure what year (05, 06 or 07). Came with 700 x 23 Ultra Gatorskins. Tires looked nearly new but do have some age on them. A google search suggest they dropped the Ultra designation in 2010. Anyway, I have a bike with 700 x 32s but it’s a disk so without pulling tires off to see, was wondering if a 32 would fit. I read somewhere that 25 to 28 was about as wide as I could go due to the brakes not letting out enough. I know I could air down the tire. Anyways, what’s the most comfortable tire I could put on the Pilot. Was leaning towards something like a marathon supreme but it don’t come smaller than a 32. Want a durable tire that don’t sacrifice much speed but I’m 57 and won’t be racing. Just riding for fitness and fun.
Old 08-07-19, 11:11 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
There is but one surefire way to tell what tires will fit on your bike, especially since many tires measure larger/smaller than labeled. A hundred internet replies of "Oh yeah it'll fit easy" isn't worth as much as seeing a tire drag on the brake or chainstay firsthand. Get a set of cheap digital calipers at Harbor Fright, pump up the 23s, measure them and what clearance is left and go from there. Maybe even try and mount what tires you already have and judge from that.
Old 08-07-19, 12:08 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
As stated above, it's hard to say. The absolute (actual) width you can fit is as wide as you can go when properly inflated, and it doesn't rub. That said, the tire has to fit the rim, too. Lately, rim width will affect how wide the rubber is when mounted...30s on my road bike look (and measure) a lot narrower on my -19 DT Swiss hoops than the 32s on my -23 Roval hoops. If you're guessing the bike is from mid last decade, chances are you won't have much brake clearance to begin with. 25/26 may be the widest you'll be able to fit. I had a 2013 Trek Madone, and the Shimano brakes it was spec'd with barely fit 26s, and 28s wouldn't turn.
Old 08-07-19, 01:06 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, wonder if a local bike shop would let me mount a tire before purchase. I’m sure it messes with the packaging so probably not.
Old 08-07-19, 03:25 PM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
If it helps i tried 28's on my '07 Pilot 5.0 and it was a no go. 25 is the max. 80% sure its the same frame.

Very few of us Pilot pilots around. I love mine!
Old 08-07-19, 04:42 PM
coyboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bummer, was really hoping I could get 28s on it. I’m 245 # and need all the suspension I can get. Thanks though!
Old 08-09-19, 10:44 AM
Nephtys

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coyboy
Bummer, was really hoping I could get 28s on it. I’m 245 # and need all the suspension I can get. Thanks though!
Another Pilor user here. Depending on rim and tire width, you may be even further limited. With a newer rim I am largely limited to 23s. The place to look is the chain stay as I get rubbing there if I run anything too wide. The brake caliper is not the issue at all.

Certain tire and rim combo's I can run 25s but they are now around 27 wide and just fit (when not running fenders).

If it is running the cane creek stock brake calipers, I highly suggest upgrading to the TRP long reach (RG957 or the Shimano long reach). Both are a huge improvement in brake performance and have been the largest single improvement to the Pilot.

Great bike though - I have 10s of thousands of miles on mine, and its the same generation as the one you bought.
Old 08-11-19, 07:15 PM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I had a 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 until recently. The tight spot is at the chainstays for tire clearance. The fork will clear a 32mm Gatorskin up front and a 28 in the rear, but I ran 28’s f/r. I also ran Schwalbe One 28’s on Ultegra WH-6700 wheels (21.8mm external rim width) front/rear. Tire clearance between the chainstays was close but there was 2-3mm on each side.

I also had a 2007 Trek Pilot 5.2 s.p.a. (the one with rear elastomer suspension) and it had longer chainstays than the regular Pilot 5.2. I ran that bike with Gatorskins in 32’s both front and rear with good clearance everywhere.

Last edited by Joint Venture; 08-11-19 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-13-19, 10:30 AM
coyboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good to hear John. I’ve looked closely and without a caliper it looks like with the current 23s I have about 1/4 inch of room one either side at the Chainstays. I’m going to just ride these awhile since they look so new but I definitely would like to run some 28s down the road...ha-ha pun not intended.
Old 08-13-19, 07:28 PM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
1/4” is a bit more than 6mm, so if you’ve got 6mm on each side ... well, do the math!
Old 09-01-19, 12:21 PM
Jaybiker45

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the Pilot 5.2 SPA. I just tried a 35mm Bontrager Invert Select and it fits great. Looks like it would fit wider. Not sure if the non SPA is the same. Someone posted the stays are wider on the SPA. I wouldn't use the bike for hard cyclocross but it would make a great gravel bike. Just get a spare wheel set and put the wider tires on it. Yes, you will have to deflate the tires to get them past the calipers. Also to be considered is the width of the rim. The recommendation of my set is 32mm. So I would be using the 35's at my "peril"? The key is I will not be riding it hard. If you want a real cyclocross, then buy one.