Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-19, 12:27 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
fulcrums, levers, effort, loads
a bicycle brake lever is a class 1 lever.

the farther down the lever from the fulcrum we go , requires less effort. It is simple science. yet all of a sudden Science is irrelevant.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 09-05-19, 12:27 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
The rider's arms were not locked. That's clear to see from the video, his arms flex as he accommodates the initial bump but are overwhelmed by sudden upward acceleration, subsequently the lack of secure grip pop the hoods out of his hands. It happens fast, watch in hi-res at quarter speed to get a better understanding. It's the exact occurrence that has been denigrated a myth by numerous posters so far. I have seen this happen on the road as well but cannot find the video. Had he been in the drops - like several other riders that rode over the same rock, his grip would have been more secure and would not have come off the bars.

Some of use post about how we imagine the world to be. Some of us post about how the world is, based on our experiences.

It's always interesting to watch a debate and see who is trying very hard not to delve into personal attacks based on their poor rhetorical position. Lets try to keep it clean @elcruxio.
Well you offend easily. I’ll try to be less blunt / honest in the future.

However there are some serious flaws in your reasoning which I suspect rise from your inexperience with road bike posture and road riding in general.

First of all, locked elbows is a figure of speech. It’s easier to understand than ”arms too straight due to forward skewed imbalance causing shoulder tightness, difficulty to reach, too much hand pressure or any other reason of which there are many and when combined, compounded…” Get the point? You rarely if ever see completely locked up elbows but we still use the saying when it’s obvious someone has their arms too straight and not in a good way.

Moving on. His arms flex yes. As has been mentioned above, the figure of speech still applies. The man also does have pretty darn straight arms for the situation AND more importantly it seems his elbows are pointing outwards. That’s not right with a drop bar. With a wide low sweep flat bar elbows out is ok, but never with a drop bar. Pushing elbows out indicates several things but one thing it definitely does is make your whole upper body tight as a violing string.

I could be wrong of course. It is possible that his elbows are actually pointing down as they should be. It’s really quite impossible to be certain however because his arms are so straight and he has so little angle at the elbow that the figure of speech which comes to mind is ”locked elbows”.

Also I don’t think that any other experienced rider here thinks that riding over obstacles whilst tensing up to hardness of a diamond is the way to a good and safe riding experience. Most of the experienced riders here know however that hand position isn’t crucial for covering obstacles, posture, relaxation, technique etc. are.

You seem incapable of seeing this from more than one angle. You cannot even consider the possibility that the wipeout in the video was caused by bad posture rather than hand position.

Oh as a last point and this is a bit of a zinger. I can’t really take argumentation about the importance of hand positions seriously from a person who uses the wrong term for his argumentation. I went with it for now but this is really getting tiresome.

You’re not talking about drops. You can’t brake from the drops (or if you can I am truly worried about your bike setup). You’re talking about hooks. Drop bars have five distinct hand positions, drops, hooks, hoods, ramps and tops. Some could say that the hooks and drops are the same thing but if we’re at the level of deciding whether one or two fingers is good for road bike braking I think it pays to be accurate.

FYI, if you have your hands at the drops and get rear ended by say a car, it’s really unsafe because the straight portion of the bar slips right out of your hand. That’s why cycling courses here say you should never ride in the drops when riding on roads where cars are present. With hoods you can hold on properly so losing your grip when you get rear ended isn’t an issue.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 09-05-19, 12:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
I am heading out on tour tomorrow. $20 says this thread will be euthanized before I leave.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-05-19, 12:46 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am heading out on tour tomorrow. $20 says this thread will be euthanized before I leave.
One can only hope ...
Likes For badger1:
Old 09-05-19, 01:05 PM
Metieval

As you know, Shimano redesigned the shifters for their GRX gravel group to deal specifically with how poor and insecure braking is from the hoods.

Yes I absolutely love the GRX stuff

they even added more of a knock design to the hood, to assist with the hand sliding forward also.

supposedly that axis (fulcrum) change was only to the GRX di2 levers, not all GRX. If true, then disappointing.
Old 09-05-19, 01:08 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
As you know, Shimano redesigned the shifters for their GRX gravel group to deal specifically with how poor and insecure braking is from the hoods.

Yikes, glad I live in a sane country that doesn't teach such nonsense.
I know what you said before you edited your post. It wasn't very nice. But you really should comment on the riding posture side of things as its kinda important in the grand scheme of things. Actually it almost is the grand scheme of things
Old 09-05-19, 01:13 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do you have any evidence that "losing grip of the handlebars" is an actual cause of significant numbers of accidents, because I've never seen it and I've never heard of it happening.
You didn't watch the video posted above in this thread then, showing it happen to someone..?
Old 09-05-19, 01:27 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
you ride all the time?
yet claim this?

"If there is any problem with hydraulic disc brakes (now becoming the new standard in many cases), it's that they are too easy to apply. I have to be careful downhilling not to lock up brakes because of the modulation effort I am otherwise used to."

Hydraulics brings more MODULATION to the table. if they don't , then you have glazed your pads
Yes. when using canti's or mechanical disc and then hopping over to a hydraulic disc system the squeeze pressure required for stopping is far less. Sometimes that can be surprising. Your problem is...?

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-05-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 01:30 PM
Happy Feet

I hope in the future you become more adept at using hydraulic brakes, they are new for someone who last rode 50 years ago but in my experience the adaptation period is fairly short. You should be able to brake effectively without fear of going over the handlebars within two weeks, at most. If not feel free to PM me for tips and tricks to getting the hang of it.
You cry about people being offensive then post like an arrogant jerk.

On any given week I'll ride a: road bike, Fixed gear, rigid mtb, full squish mtb, fat bike and a wheel chair adapted 2 person bike - in fact, in 25 minutes that's what I'll do for work for the rest of the day and that one uses drum and coaster brakes.

Who exactly do you think you are fooling?

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-05-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 01:34 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Yes. when using canti's or mechanical disc and then hopping over to a hydraulic disc system the squeeze pressure required for stopping is far less. Sometimes that can be surprising. Your problem is...?
the rest of us are not surprised. You've spent years Manhandling the brake lever from the hoods, because that was the only way to stop from the hoods.

Now that the market offers better brakes, you still have no modulation because your habit is full on brake.

My problem, since you asked. Is that you think your previous lack of ability to apply power from the hoods is seen as modulation by you, and that you promote this hood braking on descents as sound bicycling on a forum. Which does not promote safe riding for riders that are learning.
Old 09-05-19, 01:39 PM
Happy Feet

the rest of us are not surprised. You've spent years Manhandling the brake lever from the hoods, because that was the only way to stop from the hoods.

Now that the market offers better brakes, you still have no modulation because your habit is full on brake.

My problem, since you asked. Is that you think your previous lack of ability to apply power from the hoods is seen as modulation by you, and that you promote this hood braking on descents as sound bicycling on a forum. Which does not promote safe riding for riders that are learning.
Sure man.. you got me figured out. Obviously, in the rush to be right you forgot the part where I'm one of the guys who rides in the drops regularly - even though you have quoted that a couple of times

People who just make up stuff to ascribe to others because they can't debate honestly or even remember what they read or write a page or two back.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-05-19 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 01:48 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Where are you going?

I want to do some bikepacking this fall but it's a really busy time of year and I have commitments seemingly every other weekend. And this year on the few weekends I have free, it seems like there's either massive thunderstorms or unbearable heat or both.

I really need to get a job in a state with more pleasant weather... but there's not exactly a lawyer shortage anywhere so I'm probably stuck here for the time being.
Old 09-05-19, 02:07 PM
Metieval

Sure man.. you got me figured out. Obviously, in the rush to be right you forgot the part where I'm one of the guys who rides in the drops regularly - even though you have quoted that a couple of times

People who just make up stuff to ascribe to others because they can't debate honestly or even remember what they read or write a page or two back.
only in the last few years though, yeah? I mean before that there was something in the way of you reaching the drops.

A few years ago I would have said drop bars were a waste for me, A big difference was losing the belly so I could pedal and breath easier.
Old 09-05-19, 02:13 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Here's a great example of what can happen riding in the hoods (@2:35). This is an experienced rider who got knocked off the hoods due to a embedded rock in the gravel road. His tumbling bike took out another rider as well. I was in front of this crash but even so I now distance myself from riders on the hoods during descents and cornering. It's not as safe a position, even with my 5XL hands I know that the drops are safer and more effective for what's important - staying in control of the bike.

https://youtu.be/7JbJRtszY9g?t=2m30s
It’s really just conjecture why he crashed. It’s not clear from the video at all if the reason he crashed was because his hand was knocked of the hoods, or if his hand moved instinctively to reposition his grip after the wheels torqued hard to one side.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-05-19, 03:14 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
OK, *this* wins the Internets.

Also, I enjoy riding in the drops...descending, climbing, sprinting, and JRA. It's a good time.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 09-05-19, 03:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
It’s really just conjecture why he crashed. It’s not clear from the video at all if the reason he crashed was because his hand was knocked of the hoods, or if his hand moved instinctively to reposition his grip after the wheels torqued hard to one side.
Further, if you watch the whole video there are very few people riding on the drops. No one around the guy who crashed is riding the drops and there are lots of fast downhill in close group riding where all of the riders are on the hoods. For hood riding being so unsafe, there seem to be a lot of people doing it in that video. Perhaps they just aren't aware of the danger that they are in
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-05-19, 03:39 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by terrymorse
If you must know, my friend crashed after hitting a bump while descending Highway 17 near Los Gatos. He died at the scene. I wasn't there to witness it, because I left the ride early.
Sorry for your loss.

That said, you weren't there so you really can't draw any kind of conclusion at to how or why he crashed.

He often descended on the hoods, he tended to carry too much tension in his arms, and he put too much weight on his saddle. Three bad practices.
Two out of three bad practices in my opinion. Either of the latter could have contributed to a crash. Or none of it contributed to a crash. Since I wasn't there and you weren't there we can't know.

"In addition to lowering your center of gravity, riding on the drops will give you much greater control over the bikes handling thanks to better grip and less chance of your hands slipping if you hit a pothole or bump in the road."

Pro Tips: How to Descend on a Road Bike

That's one minor point out of about a dozen. All of the others are of far more importance.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-05-19, 03:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Two out of three bad practices in my opinion.
An opinion that is not shared by experts, nor the majority of experienced cyclists.

Old 09-05-19, 03:53 PM
cyccommute 

An opinion that is not shared by experts, nor the majority of experienced cyclists.
So you never ride on the hoods? You've never braked from the hoods? You only brake from the drops because it is so "safe"? I wasn't born at night nor was I born last night.

Old 09-05-19, 04:02 PM
cyccommute 

Non-sequitur - Mr. Overend is maintaining a secure grip at the expense of braking performance. Here he is maximizing braking at the expense of grip, a reasonable trade-off when riding around on a cyclocross course at 10-15 mph.
Um...you might want to reword that if you want to keep arguing that braking from the hoods is "unsafe". He's maintaining a secure grip at the expense of braking performance while maximizing braking performance at the expense of grip? It doesn't follow.

Old 09-05-19, 04:26 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
So you never ride on the hoods? You've never braked from the hoods? You only brake from the drops because it is so "safe"?
A very clumsily built and obvious straw man argument.

Of course I ride on the hoods much of the time. I switch to the drops when the descent becomes technical, as do the vast majority of experienced road cyclists.

Old 09-05-19, 04:36 PM
Metieval

So you never ride on the hoods? You've never braked from the hoods? You only brake from the drops because it is so "safe"? I wasn't born at night nor was I born last night.
just because someone does something, does not make it a bad choice.

I brake from the hoods, I just don't brake from them on descents.

I also pull Idaho stops, but i don't tell people that Idaho stops are 100% safe because I have never gotten hit in 40 years.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 09-05-19, 05:30 PM
Happy Feet

only in the last few years though, yeah? I mean before that there was something in the way of you reaching the drops.
Again.. do you have a point?

Is it that I do ride in the drops, or that I did feel losing weight helped me feel more comfortable there, or some other notion you have been trying to argue in favour of?

Or are you pathetically trying to score a cheap shot against someone you don't even know by suggesting that I only have a couple of years experience riding in drops so could not possibly agree with the points you were trying to make?

How about you just attempt to express your own experience intelligently, if that's possible and let the weight of that be judged instead of trying (unsuccessfully) to pretend to know anything about strangers you have never met. for so many of your posts that would be an improvement.

just because someone does something, does not make it a bad choice...
Finally you say something that makes sense. We agree!
Old 09-05-19, 05:59 PM
Metieval

Or are you pathetically trying to score a cheap shot against someone you don't even know by suggesting that I only have a couple of years experience riding in drops so could not possibly agree with the points you were trying to make?

Sorry, but no one elected you the bicycle police. Cyclocommute has ridden many years successfully as is well documented in the touring sub forum. You?
I thought you were basing everything on years of experience... my bad.
Old 09-05-19, 06:13 PM
Happy Feet

Man, you two are a quite the pair in this thread. Metrieval, you know I'm not cyclocommute right?

Let's quote the whole thing in context:

and you'll apply the same thought process to wearing helmets? etc....

applying the cyccommute theory of 40 years, some people have ridden 40 years without a bicycle helmet without a brain injury. No need for helmets! to think other wise is just "misguided" at best.
No I won't. A helmet is not a drop bar.

Sorry, but no one elected you the bicycle police. Cyclocommute has ridden many years successfully as is well documented in the touring sub forum. You?

Stop trying to win the internet in every thread with your absolutism. It's tedious.
And Spoonrobot - Prove your point some more about how modern ergonomic brake levers are not easy to activate in the hoods by showing another picture of those modern ergonomic brake levers that are easy to activate in the hoods. I liked the logic in that one.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-05-19 at 06:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.