Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you do to avoid bike boredom?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 12:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
And live to ride another day
I wouldn't think that bicycle riding with so much drama would get boring.
Old 09-10-19, 05:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts

I go on tour, like I am now. The Hobbit Shower at tonight’s campground.
Old 09-10-19, 06:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I ride different bikes, change my commuting routes, go mountain biking and ride singletrack trails, maintain and do work on singletrack trails. I also have other interests and hobbies besides cycling...If your whole life revolves only around cycling and you don't have other interests then you're going to run into problems and eventually get bored. You need to find other things/hobbies to keep busy.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-10-19, 07:03 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I did intervals on the way home today to break up the monotony. I would maintain a some set speed or effort for a predetermined distance, usually stop light/sign to next light/sign. Then recovery for the next segment. It did make it interesting. Wouldn't do it every day, but a couple if times a week is good.

Probability good for you too.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 09-10-19, 07:23 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
I buy bicycle parts to fill that void. Then install them to test fate.
Old 09-10-19, 08:06 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
What is this "bike boredom" of which you speak?
Likes For Myosmith:
Old 09-10-19, 08:08 PM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I buy bicycle parts to fill that void. Then install them to test fate.
yes I do also.in the pursuit of the perfect bike setup
Old 09-10-19, 08:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Yeah I’m not doing that I don’t want to be aware of cars coming and anything else when I ride
1- your post contradicts your point.
2- I can hear cars approaching when I ride with music playing thru ear buds.
3- the lack of hearing a car approach would t preclude me from riding. If I were deaf, I think I would still ride.
If I am riding correctly for the given situation, then I needn't know a car is behind me. If the car is going to cause me trouble, hearing it cause me trouble wont make the trouble any less brutal.
Old 09-10-19, 08:55 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Run, swim, and/or lift free weights.
Old 09-10-19, 10:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
this last Saturday I was feeling bored with biking so I decided I needed to jump start my git r done.so I decided I would ride 38 miles and jump off the bike and run 10 miles.....it was just the kick in the pants I needed....what do the rest of the bf world do to avoid bike boredom.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I listen to audio books while I ride. Attached is a list of books I have listened to while riding my bike, with a few of them listened to while driving my car. The trick is to select authors and/or subjects that are not boring or uninteresting to me.

For those titles that I cannot find in audio book format, the library has been my good friend, but they are not good for enriching a bicycle ride. Not recommended for those unable to chew gum while riding.
Yeah I’m not doing that I don’t want to be aware of cars coming and anything else when I ride
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Fine, maintain 100% awareness of how boring your rides have become for you.

As previously stated, not recommended for those unable to chew gum while riding.
And live to ride another day
So the OP requests suggestions for avoiding boredom,
Originally Posted by Machka
See thread in Road:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ke-routes.html

But yes, cross training is good too.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I too posted to that thread cited by @Machka. Is the query of this thread what to do to avoid bike boredom, i.e boredom with the bike(s), or boredom with biking?
yet @robnol disparages (with double negatives) the suggestion by @I-Like-To-Bike, of a common modality used by many on BF, risking morphing this thread into another wearsiome popcorn thread.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- your [ @robnol's] post contradicts your point.
2- I can hear cars approaching when I ride with music playing thru ear buds.
3- the lack of hearing a car approach would t preclude me from riding. If I were deaf, I think I would still ride.
If I am riding correctly for the given situation, then I needn't know a car is behind me. If the car is going to cause me trouble, hearing it cause me trouble wont make the trouble any less brutal.
Admittedly in my recommendations about boredom on a bike I don’t suggest listening to audio devices, for fear a gum-chewing impaired cyclist might follow my endorsement.

Nonetheless, I have previously posted, not as a recommendation but a justification:
Originally Posted by Riveting
I listen to music or talk radio 100% of the time when I'm riding solo, whether it's a commute, or just a ride, and never listen if there's anyone else with me.

Single ear bud, in the curb-side ear, so I can hear traffic with the other ear.
My usual practice too; music usually on the weekends when no good talk shows, other than repeats are on (not financial or gardening ).I don't listen when riding with others.

I wear loosely fitted over the ear phones since I can't keep ear buds in the ear, and I hear just fine, besides close monitoring with my both right and left rear view mirrors. (link)..
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I also listen to spoken word podcasts at a low volume in my curbside ear. I can hear traffic fine. On the rides I don't listen, or if I don't like the podcast and pull the earbud out I don't feel I gain any extra situational awareness.

My guess would be that picking one horn out of the Manhattan cacophony of horns, and echoes off the buildings, would be daunting in and of its self.

Whats more, I feel that when listening to spoken word podcasts in my curbside ear at a low volume, I can hear traffic better than when I'm in my car with the windows up with no music or podcasts.

However, it's been my experience that when a music clip is played, even in one ear, I start to loose my situational awareness. I think it has something to do with the way the human brain works....
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
...I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look.

Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.
Well said, @PaulRivers. I agree that a controllable external auditory source can help to focus on the task at hand, rather than distract.

For myself, I work at preparing reports depending on careful detailed analyses, and I always have a talk show on. It definitely focuses me, even though I don't pay much attention; it's more a background awareness.

It seems to fill in my mind in addition to the current purposeful activity so my concentration has no other place to wander.

In fact, if there is no ambient “distraction,” the silence is deafening (and I don't have to worry about a car plowing into my desk).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-10-19 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added quote by mstateglfr
Old 09-11-19, 01:16 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
It is not surprising that too much bike riding like most pleasurable experiences except one (and we all know what that is) can get boring. It's like coming home from vacation, Sometimes no matter how magnificent the mountain scenery is as I drive through, I just want to get home.

It helps if you have a friend to bike with sometimes, and take a break and talk to some people you meet, pet their dog, be happy not bored.

Now here in Canada we have some special tabacco that will make every bike ride an adventure.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-11-19 at 07:55 AM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 09-11-19, 03:47 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
It is not surprising that too much bike riding like most pleasurable experiences except one (and we all know what that is) can get boring. It's like coming home from vacation, Sometimes no matter how magnificent the mountain scenery is as I drive through, I just want to get home.

It helps if you have a friend to bike with sometimes, and take a break and talk to some people you meet, pet their dog, be happy not bored....
As noted above in this thread I posted about my strategies for overcoming bike boredom. I didn’t mention one unusual technique I have employed.
I particularly seek novelty on my long Saturday rides.

I post to the Regional Discussion thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?,” and since Boston has been nicknamed “Hub of the Universe.” I like to call the myriad of riding possibilities the “Metroverse,” and posted a ”Cyclist’s Guide to the Metroverse.” (link).
… For the past few years after doing training rides all around the Metroverse, I have thought this about these long rides. Whereas inhabitants of neighborhoods know their areas as an entirety, I know them as [linear] routes with peculiar things I note as landmarks.

It becomes very satisfying when I ride a new route and it suddenly intercepts a familiar route in the same neighborhood, and that neigborhood now becomes more of an entirety to me too.

Often when I meet someone new, I ask them where they live because invariably I’ve ridden through their neighborhood, and that question spurs a lively conversation.
One other whimsical technique on familiar roads is to imagine I'm riding with a certain fellow BF subscriber from the Midwest I enjoy reading [whom I’ve never met], and I'm showing him around on my route.

I particularly enjoy having visitors to Boston and take them on tours, as @rtool (not my imaginary friend) commented on this year’s Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride:
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston)…Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history...
A BF subscriber once guessed the identity of my magical friend, though I didn’t publically confirm it.
...Finally, because I have such nice routes to ride, I have adopted an "imaginary friend" to bring with me on my rides and I point out the sights to him. He is actually an active subscriber to Bike Forums and from his many posts I think he is someone I'd like to ride with.

He's from the midwest, like myself, and I really enjoy showing such "paisanos" around the Boston area.
Originally Posted by X
*** is really creeped out right now.
Originally Posted by ***
Hey, everyone needs a sugar daddy.
Originally Posted by Steven Wright
”I have an imaginary friend, but he won’t play with me.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-11-19 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 04:21 AM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄
It is not surprising that too much bike riding like most pleasurable experiences except one (and we all know what that is) can get boring. It's like coming home from vacation, Sometimes no matter how magnificent the mountain scenery is as I drive through, I just want to get home….

Now hear in Canada we have some special tabaco that will make every bike ride an adventure.
Wow…I think in ten years on Bike Forums, this is the first mention I have seen using “wacky tobaccy” to enhance a ride. I anticipate a fire storm to follow.
(from a now-closed thread)…Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”
BTW, noting you post from Windsor, my hometown was just north of there across the river (Detroit).
Old 09-11-19, 04:53 AM
Dr.Lou

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Like others I mix it up by changing between road and dirt, buy new bikes, buy stupid stuff for existing bikes, find different groups and routes or hit the gym.
Old 09-11-19, 05:03 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
It may possibly make spelling and correct word usage somewhat of an adventure, too.

I

Now hear in Canada we have some special tabaco that will make every bike ride an adventure.
Old 09-11-19, 04:24 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When I'm bored I go ride my bike
Likes For Worknomore:
Old 09-11-19, 10:08 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Our club rides are somewhat repetitive over lightly traveled roads (mostly). Being one of the faster slow guys ... or ...one of the slower fast guys, I ride by myself a lot. I use the Virtual Racer on my Garmin, and try to race it. Currently I have it set at 15 mph, and usually I'm pretty close. Sort of like when I was working, I had a 500 mile a week commute. I listened to audiobooks to pass the time, or, tried to see how many mpgs I could get out of my Prius. Some people are easily entertained.😁
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 09-11-19, 10:13 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I try to keep my bikes from getting bored.
Old 09-11-19, 10:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Decided today for a little variation in my listening pleasure while riding my bicycle today. Instead of an audiobook, I selected an R&B/DooWop playlist I always keep on my mp3 player when I need a shot of Soul. No boring music for me.

Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign
Albert King - Cold Feet
Albert King - Crosscut Saw
Albert King - Personal Manager
Alicia Keys - Fallin'
Aretha Franklin - (Pride) A Deeper Love
Aretha Franklin - Another Night
Aretha Franklin - Gentle On My Mind
Aretha Franklin - Groovin'
Aretha Franklin - I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)
aretha franklin - i never loved a man
Aretha Franklin - Jimmy Lee
Aretha Franklin - Oh Happy Day
Aretha Franklin - Pitiful
Aretha Franklin - Prove It
Aretha Franklin - Tracks Of My Tears
Aretha Franklin - You Send Me
Barrett Strong - Money (That's What I Want)
Bette Midler - Do You Want To Dance
Bette Midler - From A Distance
Beyonce - Crazy In Love
Beyonce ft. Sean Paul - BabyBoy
Bill Withers - Lean On Me
Bill Withers - Lovely Day
Bill Withers - Use Me Up
Bill Withers - Who Is He
Billy Ocean - When The Going Gets Tough
Billy Stewart - I Do Love You_original
Bo Diddley - Mona
Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love
Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues
Buddy Guy - Red House
Buffalo Springfield - For What Its Worth
BusBoys - Boys are Back 48 Hours
BusBoys - New Shoes 48 Hours
Carly Simon - All I Want is You
Carly Simon - Coming Around Again-Itsy Bitsy Spider
Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better
Carly Simon- The stuff that dreams are made of
Contours - Do You Love Me
Contours - First At Look At The Purse
Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions - Gypsy Woman
Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman
Cyndi Lauper - True Colors (Junior Vasquez Gay Pride Mix) 1
David Bowie - Changes
David Bowie - Fame
Deborah Cox - Who Do You Love RARE Junior Vasquez DMC remix 1
Del-Vikings - Whispering Bells
Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out
Diana Ross - Upside Down
Donna Summer - State of independence
Duprees - Why Don't You Believe Me
Edwin Starr - War
Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind
Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You
Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
Four Tops - 7 Rooms Of Gloom
Four Tops - Bernadette
GQ - I Do Love You
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - Bad Luck
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Don't Leave Me This Way
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - The Love I Lost
Ike & Tina Turner - Come Together
Ike & Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High
Ike and Tina Turner - ***** Tonk Woman
Impalas - I Ran All the Way Home
Isley Brothers - Love The One You're With
Isley Brothers - Spill The Wine
Jackie Wilson - Higher And Higher
Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
James & Bobby Purify - I'm Your Puppet
James Brown - Ain't That A Groove
James Brown - Bewildered 192
james brown - cold sweat
James Brown - Get on Up
James Brown - I Got That Feeling
James Brown - prisoner of love
James Brown - There Was A Time
Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls Of Fire
Jerry Lee Lewis - Wild One
jive five - i'm a happy man
Joan Baez - Forever Young
Joan Baez - I Shall Be Released
Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
John Lee Hooker & Bonnie Raitt - I'm in The Mood
Johnnie & Joe - Over the Mountain, Across the Sea
Kirk Franklin & God's Property - Stomp (Remix Featuring Kirk Franklin & Salt)
Kirk Franklin - Gonna Be A Lovely Day
kirk franklin - Hosanna
Kirk Franklin - Revolution
Kirk Franklin feat. Mary J Blige - Lean On Me
kool and the gang - celebration
Lionel Richie - Night Shift
Lionel Richie - All Night Long-6minutes
Lisa Stansfield - Someday I'm Coming Back
Luther Vandross & Janet Jackson - Best Thing in My Life are Free
Luther Vandross - Love The One You're With
Luther Vandross - Lovely Day extended ver
Luther Vandross - Power Of Love_6min
Madonna - Don't Tell Me ( DJ Dream Weaver Remix )
Madonna - Music (Deep Dish Remix)
Madonna- Ray of Light (Sasha Twilo mix)
Marky Mark - Good Vibrations
Martha & The Vandellas - Heat Wave
Marvelettes - Too Many Fish In The Sea
marvin gaye - can i get a witness
Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Trough GrapeVine
Marvin Gaye - Too Busy Thinking About My Baby
Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man
Marvin Gaye - You're a Wonderful One
Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs - Stay
Miracles - A Fork In The Road
Miracles - Choosey Beggar
Muddy Waters & Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love
OJays - For the Love of Money
Ollie and the Nightengales - I Got a Sure Thing
Pointer Sisters - Ill Take You There
Pointer Sisters - Jump (For My Love)
Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can
Prince - I Would Die For You
Prince - Let's Go Crazy
Prince - Sign O The Times_albumtrack
Prince - The Max
Quicksilver - Mona
Quicksilver - Who Do You Love
Rod Stewart - Forever Young
Rod Stewart - Street Fighting Man
Rod Stewart - Young hearts be free tonight
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking_Long
Rolling Stones - Dancing with Mr D
Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Rolling Stones - Its All Over Now
Rolling stones - mannish boy
Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody
Rush - Not Fade Away
Sam and Dave - I Thank You
Sam and Dave - Wrap It Up
Sam And Dave - you dont know what you mean to me
Shanice and Brandy - Missing You
Shorty Long - Function At The Junction
Slim Harpo - Shake Your Hips
Spinners - Games People Play
Spinners - I'll Be Around
Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (Extended)
Them - Baby Please Don't Go
Them - Get Your Kicks On Route 66
Them - Mystic Eyes
Them -One Two Brown Eyes
Thurston Harris - Little Bitty Pretty One
TINA TURNER - BETTER BE GOOD TO Me
Toby Mac ft. Kirk Franklin - Throw Yo Hands Up
Untouchables - Lovely Dee
Untouchables - Youre On Top
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
Viva Elvis - Blue Suede Shoes
Viva Elvis - Burning Love
Viva Elvis - King Creole
Viva Elvis - Suspicious Minds
Viva Elvis - Viva Las Vegas
Whitney Houston - Lovely Day
Whitney Houston - How Will I Know Junior Vasquez Mix
whitney houston - I wanna dance with somebody accapella
Whitney Houston - Its Not right but its ok
Whitney Houston - Love That Man (Peter Rauhofer Retro Remix)
Whitney Houston - Love Will Save the Day
Whitney Houston - So Emotional
Whitney Houston - Step By Step
Whitney Houston - Thinking About You
Whitney Houston - You Give Good Love
whitney houston - You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman
Who - Magic Bus
Who - Baba O'Reilly
Wilson Pickett - Don't Let The Green Grass Fool You
Old 09-11-19, 11:27 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Wow.. that must have been a long ride.

When I need a change up I just take my fixed gear. Same route - whole new ride.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-12-19, 02:32 AM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
If u are bored riding just hammer it, riding at 30mph or higher was at least for me the best way for not getting bored.
Likes For Nahuel_B58:
Old 09-12-19, 08:12 AM
kq2dc7

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm retired and have 4 very different bikes to ride. Mtn, road, hybrid and tandem so the variety helps. I also live by a lake with plenty mup and single track available right out the door. I've ridden in the snow and after dark to change things up. If all this fails I've found that if I lay down and take a nap the boredom goes away.
Old 09-13-19, 08:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
boredom could be remedied by finding a stray dog that's up for a chase. Might need to rub something with the scent of steaks on your legs to get that real good excitement back, but it could work!
Old 09-13-19, 09:37 PM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
are you training for speed,a race or are you retired and riding along at 13 mph listening to music...
Old 09-14-19, 07:28 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I ride to Lakewood park along the paths that was once a golf course and dodge all the duck and pigeon poops pretending I'm Hans Solo piloting the Millennium Falcon around asteroids with Darth Vader in hot pursuit.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-14-19 at 07:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.