Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'75 Gitane

Old 09-29-19, 11:58 AM
gitanesearch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
I said above: "It's a lower end 1974-76 Gitane". That's the best info that I can provide. Anything else would be a complete guess.

Gitane made too many different models with those feature, especially for the French/European market.

verktyg
How do you know that? Or you just guessing?
Old 09-29-19, 12:00 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I said above: "It's a lower end 1974-76 Gitane". That's the best info that I can provide. Anything else would be a complete guess.

Gitane made too many different models with those feature, especially for the French/European market.

verktyg
What's a "seat stay?" You mean the seat post clamp? You can't even see it in the photo.
Old 09-29-19, 12:35 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by gitanesearch
What's a "seat stay?" You mean the seat post clamp? You can't even see it in the photo.
lol, rear triangle down tubes.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-29-19, 01:10 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well it wasn't lower end, I can tell you that... I'm not sure how you can tell 2mm difference in that photo... I've seen many of the TDF online and they have rubber on the shifter levers... this one had all metal **** levers and quality components... maybe they built it up, it was said to be a racing bike. Was probably bought slightly used. It was a VERY nice bike and even if I don't know what a "seat stay" is I know enough about bikes to know a nice bike.

Also on the TDF that I've seen the decal on the seat post tube is down lower, the one in my picture is up higher... I'll try to find more pics of it maybe that will help...
Old 09-29-19, 02:09 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Well it wasn't lower end, I can tell you that... I'm not sure how you can tell 2mm difference in that photo... I've seen many of the TDF online and they have rubber on the shifter levers... this one had all metal **** levers and quality components... maybe they built it up, it was said to be a racing bike. Was probably bought slightly used. It was a VERY nice bike and even if I don't know what a "seat stay" is I know enough about bikes to know a nice bike.

Also on the TDF that I've seen the decal on the seat post tube is down lower, the one in my picture is up higher... I'll try to find more pics of it maybe that will help...
What components were on it?

Every ten speed sold in the 70s was called a "racing bike" regardless of quality. That was the basis of the bike boom.
Old 09-29-19, 02:19 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread

Every ten speed sold in the 70s was called a "racing bike" regardless of quality. That was the basis of the bike boom.
Ok, well it was a nice bike and I've actually never seen another Gitane in person, so it's rare too. I know a lot about bikes, just not road bikes, and this Gitane was a nice bike with quality components, brakes, and rims. Even the brake pads were high end, I remember that... Have no idea what components but they were nicer than a lot of TDF I've seen online in trying to ID this bike... I notice that some TDF have rubber on the shift lever that look low end, our Gitane had components that look like the higher end 10 speeds in their catalogs. But I really can't say since it was stolen in 1987. I'll have to find more pictures of it. I don't think Greg Lemond rode it, it wasn't that level, it was more like local amateur racer level. I rode it when I was about 13-14 and I could go across town in no time on that bike. Special bike. It may just have been THAT bike that was special... I've had bikes like that where the model isn't special but the bike itself is for some reason.

Last edited by gitanesearch; 09-29-19 at 02:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-29-19, 02:30 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread

What's the "Interclub"? Is that above or lower than the TDF? I see someone mention it here and it looks like our bike except that ours wasn't such bright colors, but you can see from my original photo that the the blue of our G was darker than most TDF that you see online.

gitaneusa.com :: View topic - Jojon 1975 Interclub or ?

Old 09-29-19, 02:35 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
See this TDF, ours was better than this one... see the rubber on the shift levers and the metal body of the brake levers? Ours had better components and was blue, but a darker blue, same font on the decal but not quite the same. The neck on ours was different/better, as was the seat. I kind of remember that the front brake was a center pull because it was easy to get disengage the front brakes and get the front wheel off, am I wrong about that? Did Gitanes have front center pull brakes? It was a long time ago so I could be wrong about everything, this is just what I remember... I have to get a new slide scanner to get the better photos I have of it.

Old 09-29-19, 02:45 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
See this one? Ours had center pull brakes on the front like this one... ours had higher end rims and tires... ours didn't have gold anodized metal parts... ours was quite stiff and bumpy and even uncomfortable on the wrong roads... I don't remember the color of the brake lever bodies on ours but the handle bars were wrapped nicely... ours didn't have rubber on the shift levers... it had a real nice shift action and pretty nice cranks and foot straps. I don't remember vertical lines in the seat post... I remember the two aluminum frames of the seat/saddle stuck out a little bit, enough to put straps on it or a bag there... I could be wrong about any of this but it's how I remember it... it was a long time ago. It was very fast and had a spring to it when rode hard. I have to get a new slide scanner to try to get more pics of it... I appreciate everyone's help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37347002@N05/38909324820

Old 09-29-19, 02:57 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
See how the TDF has rubber on the shift lever? Ours didn't have rubber on the shift levers, and looked more like the Olympic (or the 3rd bike: Tour de L'Avenir) in this catalog image. I can see the frame of the seat on that Olympic like I remember, but I'm just guessing... been a long time.

One of these in the catalog translates as "suede" seat, which is what we had, a black suede seat/saddle, not sure if it's this catalog that does or not... (not translating it again.)

https://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1974_pg1.jpg

Old 09-29-19, 03:50 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
What's the motivation behind the urgent need to identify a bike you haven't had for like.. 32 years?
Did you see a listing on Craigslist and wonder if it's yours?
Old 09-29-19, 04:45 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts

More pics will be essential if you want a positive ID, since the various models look so similar, and components often were substituted when supply levels changed. Chas (Verktyg) is one of the most knowledgeable folks on this forum with respect to French bikes of that era, but again, more pics will be needed for any confidence in an ID.
Old 09-29-19, 09:36 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just getting around to it, no reason, just because I can.
Old 09-29-19, 09:37 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
And thanks to everyone who's responded, much appreciated.
Old 09-29-19, 09:54 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 122 Posts
Just getting around to it, no reason, just because I can.
I get it. I'm doing the same thing, trying to figure out what model Gitane I got for my 8th grade graduation present in 1973. I have one photo of it, and it's not grea . I remember it had Simplex derailleurs and Mafac brakes because I still have the little tool kit that came with it. I don't remember anything more about it. It was replaced in 1979 by a 78 Schwinn Superior, which I still have. I loved that bike and would love to replace it but don't know the model.
Old 09-29-19, 10:07 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice pic and bike... those were the days, people had more class back then. I totally restored my childhood BMX bike and now it's one of the nicest on the planet and worth upwards of $2000 (two thousand dollars) and I saw some old slides with the Gitane and the whole family loved that bike, and I've never actually seen another Gitane, but I guess nobody has 10 speeds anymore, however... but I just got the wild idea to try to ID it at least.

Originally Posted by 76SLT
I get it. I'm doing the same thing, trying to figure out what model Gitane I got for my 8th grade graduation present in 1973. I have one photo of it, and it's not grea . I remember it had Simplex derailleurs and Mafac brakes because I still have the little tool kit that came with it. I don't remember anything more about it. It was replaced in 1979 by a 78 Schwinn Superior, which I still have. I loved that bike and would love to replace it but don't know the model.
Old 09-29-19, 10:10 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice pic and bike... those were the days, people had more class back then. I totally restored my childhood BMX bike and now it's one of the nicest on the planet and worth upwards of $2000 (two thousand dollars) and I saw some old slides with the Gitane and the whole family loved that bike, and I've never actually seen another Gitane, but I guess nobody has 10 speeds anymore, however... but I just got the wild idea to try to ID it at least.
I think with yours you can see the sprocket and the decals... and you know the year... they have all the catalogs online I think... then you can see the checkered seat cover and the neck... and you can see the forks and "seat stays" have no chrome on them... you have most of it I think... my guess is that it wouldn't be too expensive for an 8th grader, but maybe your parents were well off... the Gitane was my dad's so I have no idea what he paid for it except from the stories he's said about it... actually I remembered them more than him and had to remind him and prove it with a photo of it... he was off by over 8 years in his memory.
Old 09-29-19, 10:13 PM
gitanesearch

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
And I see you are in IL, we got ours in Springfield, IL, maybe it's an Illinois thing?
Old 09-30-19, 02:23 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
1973 Gitane Gran Sport

I get it. I'm doing the same thing, trying to figure out what model Gitane I got for my 8th grade graduation present in 1973. I have one photo of it, and it's not great . I remember it had Simplex derailleurs and Mafac brakes because I still have the little tool kit that came with it. I don't remember anything more about it. It was replaced in 1979 by a 78 Schwinn Superior, which I still have. I loved that bike and would love to replace it but don't know the model.
Welcome,

Your bike appears to be Gitane Gran Sport Deluxe model. They came with quick release hubs. Back then QR hubs were the sign of a "quality" bike.

Gitane offered a less expensive model with low flange, nutted hubs and a few other "economy" components.

The Gran Sport Deluxe was a classic example of better quality entry level bike boom model in the ± $100 price range.

During the bike boom fad of the early 70's the buzz word was "10 Speed Racing Bike". Any bike with derailleurs and drop handle bars fell into that category.

We sold Gitanes at the 2 shops that I worked at during the bike boom. Cosmetics aside, the Gitane Gran Sports had a leg up on most of the other European bikes in that price range.

My first Gitane was a 1972 Gitane Gran Sport Deluxe. It looked like this one:

I had several others that I built up from bare frames to use as commuters/beaters/trainers.

Gran Sports come up on eBay fairly frequently but they were not as popular as Peugeot UO-8 bikes. Sellers usually don't have a clue about the bikes they're listing and over inflate the features and prices!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 09-30-19, 08:53 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 122 Posts
Welcome,

Your bike appears to be Gitane Gran Sport Deluxe model. They came with quick release hubs. Back then QR hubs were the sign of a "quality" bike.

Gitane offered a less expensive model with low flange, nutted hubs and a few other "economy" components.

The Gran Sport Deluxe was a classic example of better quality entry level bike boom model in the ± $100 price range.

During the bike boom fad of the early 70's the buzz word was "10 Speed Racing Bike". Any bike with derailleurs and drop handle bars fell into that category.

We sold Gitanes at the 2 shops that I worked at during the bike boom. Cosmetics aside, the Gitane Gran Sports had a leg up on most of the other European bikes in that price range.

My first Gitane was a 1972 Gitane Gran Sport Deluxe. It looked like this one:

I had several others that I built up from bare frames to use as commuters/beaters/trainers.

Gran Sports come up on eBay fairly frequently but they were not as popular as Peugeot UO-8 bikes. Sellers usually don't have a clue about the bikes they're listing and over inflate the features and prices!

verktyg
Thank you for that very helpful info. I now have something to go by.
Old 12-11-19, 01:40 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 96 Posts
1975 Champion du Monde. Not the most beautiful, but she rides great! Just restored her back to life. Here some pics taken during the process. All I had to do was cleaning, greasing and some new small parts here and there.

Old 12-12-19, 12:04 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 349 Posts
This looks to me to be the same model as the bike in your photo. It came through my shop a few years ago. I know longer have it but I fondly remember enjoying it while it was around. Hopefully this photo will give you a good frame of reference if you decide to find a replacement.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 12-12-19 at 12:08 AM.