Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 05:51 PM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by coopman
The spring on my saddle must be screwed all the way in because my seat has no give or perceivable vertical motion to it. Will probably check it out tonight since the weather is going to be bad as a cold front is coming through.
Mine was pretty stiff when I first got it but keep turning out the screw in your seat post. Once you get some sag into it you will like it a lot more. I just did another 15 miles on my new Roll so I have 46 miles on it and the seat post worked well and seems to have broken in nicely. My buddy tried my bike today and I rode his Del Sol Flow with a suspension seat post and after riding his we both thought they were equal but he did like my Serfas Airlift seat better than his seat. One thing on his Del Sol is the suspension seat post don't have any side to side movement vs mine has just a little but all else seems pretty equal.
Old 10-21-19, 06:35 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I loosened the suspension bolt some & the seat now has some give to it. I'm afraid to unscrew it too much. I don't want the spring mechanism to come shooting out of there & then I cannot re-install it.
Likes For coopman:
Old 10-21-19, 06:38 PM
coopman

Kirby, that is a personal preference on the width of the bars. They feel OK to me. My left hand keeps falling asleep, so I think that I'm going to have carpel tunnel surgery on it this winter. I had my right hand done a long time ago and it is fine.
Likes For coopman:
Old 10-21-19, 08:26 PM
wyd

I loosened the suspension bolt some & the seat now has some give to it. I'm afraid to unscrew it too much. I don't want the spring mechanism to come shooting out of there & then I cannot re-install it.
It won't shoot out. You could run that screw flush with the bottom of the seat post and it still wouldn't pop off. I just got my calipers out and measured how far down my nut is down the tube and a picture of both. By looking the nut is at least 3/16" thick so even if you went flush to the bottom of you seat you would be safe
Likes For wyd:
Old 10-21-19, 08:37 PM
wyd

Originally Posted by kirby999
Do the handlebars on the Roll seem a little wide to anyone else . I’m considering cutting about 3/4” off each side . When cruising I find it’s more comfortable for me just about where the inside of the grips are .
If I move the grips over a tad I’ll be resting my hands on the fat ends of my grips .
I just measured my Rolls handlebars and they're 685 millimeters wide which is like my stock Crosstrail bars. I did switch them to 700mm wide bars and liked them. The stock bars on my my brothers Trek Marlin 5 are 700mm wide. For me I know I'm good with at least up to 700mm wide since I have ridden up to that width. To me the wider bars are more stable to ride with but each person is different so do what feels good to you as that's the most important thing is to be comfortable.
Likes For wyd:
Old 10-22-19, 06:19 PM
wyd

So today while it is raining out and no riding for me today I decided to take my suspension seat post apart and see how well it was greased and to see what was inside it. First I took my 8mm hex and backed out the bottom screw. You can easily back it out as it won't fly off at all as the spring is short enough to not put pressure on it. Once the screw is out of the end there is a plastic spacer that is taper at the end that goes into the spring. After the spacer is the main spring and that's everything in the bottom. I checked it all out and everything was greased up well. Put the spring back in, the plastic spacer and then the put the 8mm nut back on. For my weight it's screwed in (.293") on my digital calibers or a little over 1/4" in and it's ready to go. You may need it in more or less depending on your weight.
Likes For wyd:
Old 10-22-19, 06:40 PM
coopman

Thanks. That is very helpful.
Likes For coopman:
Old 10-23-19, 05:36 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wyd
So today while it is raining out and no riding for me today I decided to take my suspension seat post apart and see how well it was greased and to see what was inside it. First I took my 8mm hex and backed out the bottom screw. You can easily back it out as it won't fly off at all as the spring is short enough to not put pressure on it. Once the screw is out of the end there is a plastic spacer that is taper at the end that goes into the spring. After the spacer is the main spring and that's everything in the bottom. I checked it all out and everything was greased up well. Put the spring back in, the plastic spacer and then the put the 8mm nut back on. For my weight it's screwed in (.293") on my digital calibers or a little over 1/4" in and it's ready to go. You may need it in more or less depending on your weight.
Every household needs a tinkerer
Likes For Newspaper_Nick:
Old 10-23-19, 06:14 AM
coopman

The tinkerer's do it so that us dummies can learn from them.
Old 10-23-19, 10:29 AM
wyd

The tinkerer's do it so that us dummies can learn from them.
I'm not that smart when it comes to these newer style bikes. I'm an 80's kid. I just watched Youtube and that helped. I did use caution when backing the screw out so things wouldn't fly but then as I got really close to having it out I noticed it have zero tension so no chance of it flying after that. I was actually surprised that it was greased up so well (I bought grease just in case but really didn't need it) but now I have it for my bike and other uses.
Old 10-23-19, 04:08 PM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Wink Love the seat post

Originally Posted by therealjoeblow
I would say then that it's not a gimmick and is doing exactly what it it supposed to. It shouldn't move with every little bump, otherwise you would be bopping up and down with every pedal stroke, losing a bunch of energy into it. If it's spring tension set correctly, then it should really only compress on major hard bumps like dropping in and out of a big pothole, etc, which would otherwise send a jarring shock up your tailbone and spine if you had a fixed post.

If you want it to bounce more though, most of these posts have a spring tension adjuster at their base - just pull it out of the bike and loosen off the tension and stick it back in. Takes some trial and error to get it set to your liking, but like I said, be cautious of going too soft and bouncing all the time.

Cheers
TRJB
Agreed, the seat post takes the edge off of sharp bumps, I appreciate it. I changed my seat to an old classic Brooks.
Old 10-26-19, 08:00 PM
wyd

After some really nice weather in my area I been lucky enough to be able to ride 5 of the last 7 days and get a little over 100 miles on my new Roll already. Stopped at my buddies shop this afternoon after my 18 mile ride and the guys adjusted my front deraileur just a little bit and then look over the rest of the bike. Really having more fun than ever riding this bike and at least for me it's just a better overall feel and much more comfortable than my Crosstrail was. I look back and really glad I made the switch to a Roll. I don't miss having the front shock at all and the larger tires not only look awesome on the bike but they work great on the asphalt and the gravel roads. Longest ride I have done has been 30 miles plus I have had 25, 18 and 16 mile rides as well.
Old 10-28-19, 11:34 AM
Fredr500

Bikes: Me: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite / wife: 2019 Specialized Roll Elite Low Entry

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
A new 2 Roll Elite family has joined the group. We have been looking at bikes for a while, while my wife was gone for the weekend I found a 2019 Roll Elite Low Entry on sale that I fell in love with on the test ride. It fit me great, was very comfortable and the low entry didn't bother me, in fact i found it comfortable.

Then the wife came home, saw it and thanked me for buying her a bike, she love it, and it was just the color she wanted (turquoise or whatever name they give it). So I took my kudos and went back to the shop. They had a 2018 still in the box for even less money. Two hours later there were 2 Rolls in the garage.

Still breaking them (and us) in about 10 miles at a time, but these are really great bikes.

Next on the list: bike pants and reading this whole thread.
Likes For Fredr500:
Old 10-28-19, 12:57 PM
Fredr500

Bikes: Me: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite / wife: 2019 Specialized Roll Elite Low Entry

No pics yet

I need a few more posts before I can post pics, sorry.
Old 10-28-19, 03:24 PM
wyd

Originally Posted by Fredr500
A new 2 Roll Elite family has joined the group. We have been looking at bikes for a while, while my wife was gone for the weekend I found a 2019 Roll Elite Low Entry on sale that I fell in love with on the test ride. It fit me great, was very comfortable and the low entry didn't bother me, in fact i found it comfortable.

Then the wife came home, saw it and thanked me for buying her a bike, she love it, and it was just the color she wanted (turquoise or whatever name they give it). So I took my kudos and went back to the shop. They had a 2018 still in the box for even less money. Two hours later there were 2 Rolls in the garage.

Still breaking them (and us) in about 10 miles at a time, but these are really great bikes.

Next on the list: bike pants and reading this whole thread.
Congrats on your new Rolls. Really are fun bikes to ride. Can't wait to see your new Rolls. Funny thing is I never saw anyone with Rolls on any of the rail trails I ride at and then the last two rides I saw a teal low entry just like my teal and then saw another pair of Rolls on my next ride. Funny how went from never seeing one on the trails to seeing a few of them.
Old 10-31-19, 11:07 AM
Fredr500

Here are my 2 new Rolls

The 2 Roll Elites that now live in my garage.
Likes For Fredr500:
Old 10-31-19, 11:29 AM
LeftyS7

Nice color blue. Not available when I got mine.
Likes For LeftyS7:
Old 11-02-19, 02:46 PM
Fatter Frank

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roll Elite 2015 Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
After riding quite a bit in the last 3 weeks I've owned my new to me, 2015 Trek Verve 3 large, I've decided the center of gravity is too high. I've been shopping my LBS for something that is a better fit for me.
This morning I test rode the 2020 Specialized Roll Elite large. It fits so I put it on layaway.
This winter I'll leave the Verve 3 on my trainer and spin in the living room. Come spring the Verve is going on the for sale listings and I'll be off enjoying my new Roll.
Likes For Fatter Frank:
Old 11-04-19, 05:53 PM
wyd

Been riding a lot since I bought my new Roll Elite and now how over 200 plus miles on it. Most of my rides are 15 to 23 miles on many different local rail trails. I have it pretty dialed it and everything adjusted to where I like it. My buddy owns the local bike shop I bought my Roll at so I took it in for the first tune up and they did it while I waited. Now that I have put some nice miles on it I can say with out a doubt this bike is much more comfortable and fun to ride over the Crosstrail I did have. Already planning a 2 day ride with some friends for next spring. Next up will be a rack or seat post rack and a new larger trunk bag to use on my rides and for my overnight ride. This bike really puts a smile
on my face when I'm riding.

The setup I currently have on my Roll. Running Shimano M324 clipless pedals, Ergon 4 grips, and Serfas Hybrid RC seat.
Likes For wyd:
Old 11-14-19, 01:10 PM
Fredr500

Originally Posted by LeftyS7
Nice color blue. Not available when I got mine.
Yeah, that's why my wife stole it. She liked it too. Happy wife, happy life. I like the black anyway, and she'll tell you that too.
Old 11-26-19, 05:32 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Post up pics of your new Roll...and Roll On!!!!
Old 11-27-19, 02:28 PM
CrownCityMisfit
Roller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been lurking this thread for a couple months, and finally posted to say "thanks" for helping me choose a Roll over everything else out there. Just picked up my 2020 chrome Roll Elite II Low Roller. Had to special order it from my LBS, and wait a week for a Deore shifter/derailleur/cassette upgrade.

I really, REALLY love this bike. Will certainly post some pics this week assuming the rain lets up over the holiday weekend.

Cheers.
Likes For CrownCityMisfit:
Old 11-27-19, 02:33 PM
LeftyS7

Better wear sunglasses!
Old 11-27-19, 05:22 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Looking forward to pictures of this one .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 12-05-19 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-28-19, 12:52 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Added a little bling to my Roll

I added a little bling to my Roll .
Likes For OldCruiser:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.