Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Clearer Hand Signals

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Clearer Hand Signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 01:27 AM
Myqul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clearer Hand Signals

I've got some of those flourescent/reflective snap bands that people usually wear on their ankles. So i've decided to wear them on my wrists instead so drivers could see my hand signals more clearly when turning, especially as i wear black full fingered gloves when cycling.

Anyone else do thius
Old 08-07-08, 01:36 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wear those bands around my wrists in winter, for the exact same reason. I have also seen gloves that have reflective surface on the back of the hand / fingers. Those would be ideal, but I haven't found them in local shops yet.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 08-07-08, 01:41 AM
grayloon

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get you another set, wear one like you suggest, but the others should be on your ankles. The flashing movement helps.
Old 08-07-08, 01:43 AM
på beløb

Bikes: Many and varied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried those reflective gloves until someone remarked that it looked like I was giving motorists the finger. Since then, if I'm wearing them, I only give hand signals when I'm in a group ride.
Old 08-07-08, 01:45 AM
Myqul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grayloon
Get you another set, wear one like you suggest, but the others should be on your ankles. The flashing movement helps.
Dunno why but i dont find them very comforable on my ankles. I've got some flourescent gaffer tape which i put all over the back of my seat (i ride a recumbent). I was thinking of putting some on my cranks instead of putting bands on my ankles
Old 08-07-08, 03:46 AM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title

good selection of different types of reflective safety gloves
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 08-07-08, 04:24 AM
Carusoswi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I am riding in conditions where hand signals need reflective assist to be seen by those to whom I need to signal, I generally alter my riding style to preclude the need to signal. If it's so dark that my signals without reflective assist might not be seen, then, I would forgo any lane change or turn or whatever until traffic is clear and I can complete my maneuver without the need to signal anyone.\

. . . not poo pooing your choice of reflective hand gear, however.

Caruso
Old 08-07-08, 02:10 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
As an auxillary question: how many of you signal a right hand turn (in the US - think opposite for GB) with your LEFT arm at a 90 degree angle vs. simply pointing straight right with the RIGHT hand.

I have totally adopted the "point where you're turning" method and my state's laws allow both methods. I believe that signaling a right turn with the left hand (again, think opposite for GB) was developed as an inadequate, but best possible way of signaling from a driver's seat and/or a motorcycle (where the right hand is busy controlling the twist accelerator). Bicyclists have no such limitations and therefore should use the simplest and CLEAREST method of signaling a right turn.
Old 08-07-08, 03:05 PM
Myqul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
As an auxillary question: how many of you signal a right hand turn (in the US - think opposite for GB) with your LEFT arm at a 90 degree angle vs. simply pointing straight right with the RIGHT hand.
Never heard of that before i just point which way i'm intending to go
Old 08-07-08, 03:17 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myqul
Never heard of that before i just point which way i'm intending to go
The US signals aren't the same as in the UK, i.e., point right to go right, wave right to slow, point left to go left.

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070289
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 08-07-08, 04:15 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
I use the left-arm method exclusively for right turns. I use the right solely for merging left.

Motorists will only pay attention to the arm on the side that they are passing you on. Typically, anyway - there are, of course, motorists who are of an exception to this, who make it a point to keep an eye on signals given from both sides of a rider.

And if some myopic oaf misinterprets my turn signal for the finger? Their problem

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-25-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 12:25 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a pair of these. They work great.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-08-08, 12:40 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've got a panoply of hand signals.

a wide swath of reflective tape on the back of the arm of jacket also serves as an effective directional.

running a bright rear reflective and active array, I think a lateral lane move is noticable by motorists.
Old 08-08-08, 01:50 AM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glo Glov (mentioned by Donna) web site LINK. Google "glo glov" to find numerous retailers. The prism/bead type of reflective material on them is probably more reflective and durable than the 3M fabric-type on some of the other gloves above, but also less flexible.

Last edited by Giro; 08-08-08 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 11:54 AM
nkuvu
Recumbent tricyclist

Bikes: Greenspeed GT5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that using the left arm to signal right turns is obvious is origin -- you can't signal a turn with your right arm while sitting on the left side of a car (and expect to have the signal seen).

On a bicycle, however, both arms are easily visible. So I just point where I'm going to go. Point left with the left arm, do a few head checks... it's obvious (to anyone paying attention) where I'll be going.

But the reflective bits on the hands/wrists is a good idea.
Old 08-08-08, 12:16 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I point with my right arm for right turns, and lately I have taken to point at the pavement to indicate a merge - seems to work better. I so seldom see anyone signal a right turn with their left hand here that it usually takes me a while to remember what it means!

Both methods of signalling rights are legal in Ontario.
Old 08-08-08, 04:05 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

I have totally adopted the "point where you're turning" method and my state's laws allow both methods. I believe that signaling a right turn with the left hand (again, think opposite for GB) was developed as an inadequate, but best possible way of signaling from a driver's seat and/or a motorcycle (where the right hand is busy controlling the twist accelerator). Bicyclists have no such limitations and therefore should use the simplest and CLEAREST method of signaling a right turn.
If you are riding with traffic, as I do, The left arm is the one that they will see. I allways use the (L) for a right turn. It is a matter of clairity. It is something of a standard. If everyone comes up with their own "style" for such a critical form of communication, confusion ensues, and safety suffers.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 08-08-08 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 04:15 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

Couldn't care less if someone thinks I'm giving them the finger either

-Kurt
Maybe those reflective snap thingies come in rings too. I'd get one. (Disclaimer- only use it when the 3000 lb beast is in no position to get you.)
Old 08-08-08, 04:20 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Merge this post with the "what kind of piece do you carry?" one. Signal with the handgun of your choice in the signalling hand. Polite driver attention guaranteed.
Old 08-08-08, 04:21 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Alternatively, police driver attention guaranteed
Old 08-08-08, 04:50 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
If you are riding with traffic, as I do, The left arm is the one that they will see. I allways use the (L) for a right turn. It is a matter of clairity. It is something of a standard. If everyone comes up with their own "style" for such a critical form of communication, confusion ensues, and safety suffers.
For clarity, pointing with your right hand is more easily understood by drivers.

The left arm "upright L" signal for a right turn is archaic - it dates back to a time before turn signals were common in cars. I strongly suspect that a large percentage of the driving public does not understand the meaning of that signal.

I've seen other cyclists use the upright L signal, and the reaction from drivers is a somewhat confused wave...apparently, they mistook the signal for some sort of stylized wave.

IMO, "pointing where I'm going", is much easier for the average (and below average) driver to interpret my intentions.
Old 08-08-08, 09:13 PM
shepdave

Bikes: Performance 1994 road bike, Schwinn 2008 World Avenue 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using the point-where-I'm-going method for years, and it is always understood.

The left-hand-up-for-right method is quite often misunderstood by many (most?) people. I try to be an unambiguous as I possibly can. And, as CommunterCommando said, stay out of the way of the huge evil beasts anyway.
Old 08-08-08, 09:40 PM
LWB_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a great idea. Where did you get those reflective bands?
Old 08-09-08, 06:23 AM
Myqul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LWB_guy
That's a great idea. Where did you get those reflective bands?
Got em off ebay
Old 08-09-08, 06:46 AM
dmac49

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many drivers don't understand how to signal when driving their own cars. So I point to the direction I intend on going. If it's a merge I point to the line I intend to take. If it's a turn I use that arm and point to the direction of the turn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.