Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 12:03 AM
adbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the process of shopping for an endurance bike (current bike is 30 years old, so it's time). I've looked at Trek (Domane), Giant, Fuji and Specialized (Roubaix). Because I'm between a 56 and 58 size, I liked the Specialized because their top bar is a little longer...and the their 56 fit me better than either a 56 or 58 Domane. For 2016, Specialized has lowered the MSRP to $2,500 (believe it was $3,000 in 2015), which is fairly attractive. However, my understanding is the Specialized took down some of the components to get to the lower price point....although in comparing the specs. I didn't see where there was a difference. Also, the LBS mentioned something about mixing components (eg. Ultegra derailleurs and 105 brakes). Question...is there an issue mixing components like this? What do people think of the 2016 Roubaix Comp. vs. the 2015 version.
Old 10-29-15, 01:36 AM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
My suggestion: Synapse Carbon Ultegra 4 - SYNAPSE CARBON - ENDURANCE ROAD - ROAD - BIKES - 2016
Old 10-29-15, 04:47 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
You can mix and match Shimano 11 speed components with no problem. My 2015 Allez Comp Race came stock with Axis (Specialized house brand) brakes and I upgraded them to 5800 105 for a noticeable improvement. The crankset and BB on the Roubaix you're considering are excellent as well, you won't have any problems with creaking.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-29-15, 04:48 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2016 spec on the Roubaix Comp looks good to me. Ultegra STI's and derailleurs, 105 brakes/chain/cassette, Praxis Works crankset/BB/chainrings. No problems mixing the Shimano levels and the Praxis crankset will keep you free of press-fit bottom bracket annoyances.

If the Roubaix fits best, go for it. It's a fine bike.
Old 10-29-15, 08:34 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
What does that have to do with anything the OP asked?
Old 10-29-15, 11:13 AM
Maconi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The important part of bike shopping is to buy the frame you want (one that fits you and is made out of the material you want, including the grade of carbon used). Components can be mixed/matched/swapped/etc. at any time afterwards. If it has 11 speed Shimano 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace or Praxis parts on it, you're good to go IMO.
Old 10-30-15, 06:55 PM
adbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all.
Old 10-30-15, 09:49 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Roubaix SL4 Expert and it's a nice endurance bike for the money. The CG-R seat post is a must IMO so make sure the 25mm of setback works for your bike fit. You might want to also consider the Trek Emonda since it's more responsive than the Domane. Top tube length would not be a reason to pick one bike over the other. Reach can be adjusted with a stem and/or different reach bars.
Old 10-30-15, 10:47 PM
anotherbrian

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Tarmac's had a similar price drop with little change to the components (don't recall which, but maybe the Expert level dropped the Spec brand cranks for FSA, or maybe it was FSA for Praxis, while everything else remained the same).
Old 10-31-15, 08:49 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Praxis components are pretty good...i have their chain ring and makes for a strong and smooth shifting tarmac. The 105 brakes do not perform on the same level as the ultegra's...but unless you are flying down long steep hills there is no noticeable impact there. Roubaix is a very comfortable endurance bike that has always been the bike every other manufacturer measured against as the endurance standard for the industry. Bike is pretty stiff (pending which one you get) for an endurance bike and will get up and go when you stomp on it. Bike is also very stable and the geometry is excellent for staying seated and climbing. However, for that comfort and stability you do trade off some of the quick handling you find on race bikes and some other models...various models of endurance bikes range at different points on the stability-comfort-handling scale...you just have to pick the one that mixed it the way you like best. Nice bike with pretty decent component set...you will enjoy and despite what you hear Spec stands behind their bikes...I had an expert Roubaix that the clear coat peeled in a section and they replaced it with a flat black S-Works...they get two thumbs up from me.

Last edited by Bosock; 10-31-15 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-31-15, 09:25 AM
anotherbrian

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosock
Bike is also very stable and the geometry is excellent for staying seated and climbing. However, for that comfort and stability you do trade off some of the quick handling you find on race bikes and some other models...various models of endurance bikes range at different points on the stability-comfort-handling scale...
Do try before you buy. I was set on buying an endurance bike, because it'd be ridden on double centuries and brevets, however after a 30mi+ ride on a familiar loop, I was left feeling the Roubaix was a really stiff version of my 25 year old Trek loaded touring bike. I've settled on getting a disc Tarmac instead.
Old 10-31-15, 10:02 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Similarly, though I ended up buying a Lapierre, when I was considering a Specialized I walked into the shop thinking the Roubaix would be for me since I'm 47 and not as flexible as I once was. But in back to back test rides I preferred the Tarmac. Try one out!
Old 10-31-15, 05:15 PM
adbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re. the Specialized being too stiff, where will this be a problem? I assume it will not be an issue for long straightaways. Is the issue on turns, climbs?
Old 10-31-15, 10:43 PM
anotherbrian

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by adbike
Re. the Specialized being too stiff, where will this be a problem? I assume it will not be an issue for long straightaways. Is the issue on turns, climbs?
It's all relative (try it for yourself), but IMHO it'd only be a problem if you were expecting ballon-tyre beach cruiser cushiness. You _will_ get the potential for beach cruiser height handlebars tho!
Old 10-31-15, 11:36 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have put 15,000 miles on my 2013 Roubaix SL4 Expert. Love this bike. I am 6' even and my 56 fits like a glove.
Old 11-01-15, 08:54 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adbike
I had an SL2 Roubaix (it was wrecked along with me by a car) and now the SL4. The SL4 is definitely stiffer in the rear triangle, but I feel that through the pedals. It is a little cushier than my 2010 Secteur, just as the SL2 was.

But as others have said, ride it for yourself and go with what you like.