Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Psoas / Iliopsoas muscle

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Psoas / Iliopsoas muscle

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 05:45 AM
lineinthewater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Psoas / Iliopsoas muscle

Has anyone had experience with a tight psoas/iliopsoas muscle? I spent months trying to figure out what was causing my right abdominal and back pain, aggravated by sitting, cycling, sleeping, etc. I first thought it was an infection, or GI/bowel/etc problem, but tests came back normal. Last week, I finally went to a Physical Therapist, and he said he's 90% sure it's a tight (right) iliopsoas. If he's correct, I'll be very grateful to at least have a diagnosis. I've been doing stretches for the past few days, but no change so far.

I've ridden the same bike, with almost the same bike fit, for many years; I haven't had chronic pain until recently. Admittedly, I've been pushing it harder recently, and that might have been the catalyst. Now it seems to start weakening/spasming/radiating, like clockwork, every afternoon, no doubt from sitting in front of my computer. I've slightly moved my bike seat forward, but that hasn't done much.

I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar issue and how they eventually broke free from the pain?
Old 08-25-16, 11:59 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no doubt from sitting in front of my computer...

this, don't do this. (I'm standing right now at mine)

Maybe work on glutes and hip abductors generally, which are on the opposite side of the psoas
Old 08-25-16, 01:23 PM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikebreak
this, don't do this. (I'm standing right now at mine)
I don't have a setup to allow this, but I'll think about investing in one. I do get up pretty frequently, but I know that's not sufficient (at least not when things are aggravated).

Originally Posted by bikebreak
Maybe work on glutes and hip abductors generally, which are on the opposite side of the psoas
Thanks for this advice. I'd seen the glutes mentioned in several articles. I think given how difficult it is to stretch/relax the psoas, working on strengthening the opposing muscles is probably a more reliable plan.

I've tried different riding postures/tests in the past month or two. I stumbled on one today that really has me wondering. It seems that if I bring my knees inward more, closer to the top bar, I can bike harder with less back discomfort. I'll have to try it again tomorrow to make sure it wasn't a fluke. This idea came to me after seeing an article where someone explained how to get into the most relieving psoas position (lie on back, feet on floor separated by width greater than pelvis, and then bend knees inward to touch each other). It may just be crutch, opening myself up to other strains (my knees were a little sore). Or, maybe it's a hint to something that's off in my riding style/setup.
Old 08-26-16, 07:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Two of my riding friends have what you probably have:
The close approximation of the sciatic nerve is the reason that increased tone of the piriformis muscle could cause irritation to the sciatic nerve. Irritation to the sciatic nerve in patients with left psoas syndrome often causes pain that radiates down the back of the right leg and stops at the knee.
Read all about it here:
Psoas Syndrome: A Frequently Missed Diagnosis | The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association
Old 08-26-16, 08:19 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Two of my riding friends have what you probably have: Read all about it here:
Psoas Syndrome: A Frequently Missed Diagnosis | The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association

Thanks for the link. No pain in the butt, or down my leg. All pain is either right lower back, or lower right abdominal. Some good information to consider in that article. I had a Pelvic/Abdominal CT scan done, and it came back totally normal.

The PT says my right leg is being pulled up, slightly, by my psoas, causing pelvic imbalance. I'm seeing him again today to go over some strengthening exercises. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think this will be key.