Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Riding adult tricycle on the road

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-17, 09:39 AM
spring2004

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am female 63 and have been riding my adult tricycle for many years on the side walk but I want to ride on the road that I can ride for a long time but I am scared to ride on road. How can be safe and ride my tricycle on road? Thank you
Old 07-06-17, 10:36 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by spring2004
I am female 63 and have been riding my adult tricycle for many years on the side walk but I want to ride on the road that I can ride for a long time but I am scared to ride on road. How can be safe and ride my tricycle on road? Thank you
Fear in small doses is a good thing. Just how scared are you? It doesn't bode well that you have stayed out of the road for 'many years'. I get it though. The road is very intimidating. Where you ride matters. You haven't said what city, what part of the city, it matters. So lets assume you live in Portland, OR like I do. In the city, not out in the suburbs, or very rural areas. In other words a fairly built up, high motor traffic urban core. Guess what, you can still ride an adult tricycle in the street. You aren't any wider, than a regular bicycle pulling a two wheel child trailer. If you see any of those around town you're golden. You should also be able to fit in marked bike lanes. There are bike lanes where you ride, yes? If not, its still possible, but there may be the occasional jerk heckler. Are you up for that? None of this 'take the lane' stuff for you. Keep your right rear wheel 12" or so from the curb or the parked cars, and give straight through traffic a way to get around you. They will not hit you. The very first time I ever took a motorcycle out in traffic, I got a buddy of mine to follow me in his car. Having a friendly lookout covering your six the first time or two you venture out in the road can't be the worst idea ever. They don't have to use a car, it could be another cyclist that already has the street riding thing down. FWIW.
Old 07-06-17, 12:22 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Welcome to bikeforums!

Please visit the commuting forum for plenty of strategies and tips to ride safely on the road.

I have been bike commuting for 25 years and there are some stretches where I ride the sidewalk because the street in those specific areas is not safe enough due to speed, limited shoulders, and lack of dedicated bike lane.

In fact in many cities and towns riding on the sidewalk is permitted unless posted otherwise. Your local laws may vary.

Enhancing your visibility with bright clothing, flags or a "slow moving vehicle triangle" and a good mirror or two to see traffic behind you should help greatly.

You may also want to visit the Fifty Plus forum.

Again, welcome and happy, safe biking!
Old 07-06-17, 01:04 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
You are safer on the road than on the sidewalk

I began riding (recumbent) trikes 14 years ago. Some of my riding is on dedicated bike trails but most is on regular roads. I prefer to use roads with with marked lanes or a breakdown lane with no parking. I have over 40,000 miles on my trikes without ever having an accident. The only time I ever ride on the sidewalk is for short distances to get to a bike path or for entering a business where the road is exceptionally busy. You can do so safely if you follow the suggestions already posted but with a few more.

Don't daydream while you are riding. Pay attention to traffic and anticipate what drivers MIGHT do.
Find routes with low traffic volumes and wide enough for vehicles and the trike. It's just more comfortable to ride these roads.
Right turn lanes If I come to an intersection with a right turn lane, I take control of the lane so cars can't pass me and turn right in my path. This takes some discretion. You don't just pull in front of a car but wait until the lane is clear. If I am going straight, I stay in the turn lane but keep to the left so that cars can pass on the right and turn right without waiting for me. It is common courtesy and doesn't annoy drivers if you do this.
Oncoming traffic turning left into your path This is the most likely way to get clipped. However if you are riding the sidewalk, you are even more likely to get clipped as drivers are not looking for someone on the sidewalk. I always tell people who ride on sidewalks to act as though they are invisible. To many drivers, you are invisible. BTW, you are always safer on the road than riding the sidewalks. You can read many responses to people who ask, "Should I ride on the sidewalk?" Most long-time cyclists say NO!
Be very wary in parking lots. This the only place that really gives me concern. Don't ride close to the back of cars. I take the center of the lane and watch for anyone already seated in the driver's seat.

I do most of the things in the post above this one. I fly a flag. I wear bright clothing. I always wear a helmet. I find using a mirror is absolutely essential. It makes it much easier to see what is behind you.

I haven't encountered a bike lane that is not wide enough for my trike which is about 30" wide. I doubt you will either. I don't bother with a slow moving vehicle sign though you can get a fabric one to hang behind the seat if you think you need it.
Old 07-06-17, 03:46 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The League of American Bicyclists runs "Smart Cycling" classes in many areas of the country. they are designed to help people like you to learn the skills and develop the confidence to ride safely on the road. There may be one of their League Certified instructors nearby. You can check on Find & Take a Class | League of American Bicyclists.

I'm in the UK, but my wife rode her adult trike for many years on the road, until a crippling back injury (non-bike related) forced her to give it up in her early 60s. If the L. A. B. doesn't have anyone locally, there might be an ordinary cycling club near you. Contact them and they might have someone able to help you learn the skills of road riding.

Whatever the outcome, good luck with your dream.
Old 12-30-17, 06:01 PM
CDanser

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also 63 and just purchased my first adult trike. I am finding a bit scary. Is there something I should know about learning to ride it safely? It is a SUN 24” trike without speeds and only the front brake. It seems to have a mind of its own. Any advice?
Old 12-30-17, 11:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
#1, big mirrors to see behind you...
Old 12-31-17, 06:37 AM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDanser
I am also 63 and just purchased my first adult trike. I am finding a bit scary. Is there something I should know about learning to ride it safely? It is a SUN 24” trike without speeds and only the front brake. It seems to have a mind of its own. Any advice?
I am only 45 but due to vertigo am buying the 7 speed version of the same trike. I rode the single speed on vacation and loved it. But here in MI there are more hills to deal with than the location I was at in SC... make sure you start on a level surface, it took a bit to get used to one rear drive wheel and with a curve to the road surface I thought it was pulling/had a mind of its own until I figured out what was going on when I was on a flatter surface for a few minutes.... once I realized what was happening compensating was easy. I agree- mirror, lights if you'll be riding in the dark are good suggestions. We are talking about getting a cargo carrier for the tow hitch (both vehicles have one, so that works for us) so we can take my trike along with DH's bike on his rack or both on the carrier to places further from home to ride together as well
Old 12-31-17, 07:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have been riding a tadpole trike since 2012. Much is on MUPS in town, but a fair amount is on streets to get to where I want to go. Not in all that time have I ever come close to being hit, or had a close pass. Drivers seem to stay clear of the trike. As stated many times it may be that drivers seem to think they may be some sort of handicap device, and dont want to have their picture in the paper as the scum that hit a handicap person.

Along with that as others have stated, have and use a mirror, wear a helmet, and fly a flag. Then clip in pedals are needed for safety, especially on tadpole trikes.
Old 12-31-17, 08:04 AM
CDanser

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khyricat
I am only 45 but due to vertigo am buying the 7 speed version of the same trike. I rode the single speed on vacation and loved it. But here in MI there are more hills to deal with than the location I was at in SC... make sure you start on a level surface, it took a bit to get used to one rear drive wheel and with a curve to the road surface I thought it was pulling/had a mind of its own until I figured out what was going on when I was on a flatter surface for a few minutes.... once I realized what was happening compensating was easy. I agree- mirror, lights if you'll be riding in the dark are good suggestions. We are talking about getting a cargo carrier for the tow hitch (both vehicles have one, so that works for us) so we can take my trike along with DH's bike on his rack or both on the carrier to places further from home to ride together as well
Thank you for that. It will take more getting used to than I anticipated. I guess it is the camber (if that is the right word) of the road and one wheel being higher than the other that pulls to one side. I will have to practice. Also though, what about getting any kind of speed? I go at a snail’s pace because I am not comfortable with the turning radius just yet. I saw a video with a motorized version where they were going 15mph! I think I only go as fast as a slow walker!! Do you think that practice is the answer?
Old 12-31-17, 09:52 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was keeping up with DH who is a regular rider for the most part (but I was stopping at stop signs on the paths and he was blasting through them). I am expecting to be going at a pretty good clip, but I could see it taking a bit to build up to that... I am actually planning to start commuting this way.. I dont' know if I'll ever go as fast on my own power as a motorized thing, but I could see it being quick, with slowing for turning a bit...
Old 01-01-18, 04:40 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I think the topic is a great one but wonder what happened to the OP with only one post.

Certainly, it's a good thing to keep the limitations of your tricycle in mind, and being that you are either splitting power to one side or at best halving it between two you should not expect to have the acceleration or torque available to a two-wheeled bike. Treat the tricycle as a vehicle for stability and not speed, adjust to accommodate for getting through traffic and expect to take your time. This is never to be confused with a RECUMBANT, it's a standard type bicycle with a third wheel. There is no adaptation you can really expect for speed short of a motor, and 24" is probably a little small for an adult, this is a young/small girls size. 26" bikes were meant for young to teenaged boys and girls originally and a lot of adults still ride them...some recommend 27.5-29" as a matter of practice.

I find antique and vintage 26" to be mostly the right size for my 5'8" size even as I am close to 250 pounds. However, cantilever frames can be a bit small for me, heavier ballooners are what I'm more suited to, some frames are built stronger in either case.

Do try to have a bike shop fit you for a properly sized frame, much like you would for a two-wheeler. Fit is critical for any bike, any rider.

Last edited by Rollfast; 01-01-18 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-01-18, 05:58 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I think the topic is a great one but wonder what happened to the OP with only one post.

Certainly, it's a good thing to keep the limitations of your tricycle in mind, and being that you are either splitting power to one side or at best halving it between two you should not expect to have the acceleration or torque available to a two-wheeled bike. Treat the tricycle as a vehicle for stability and not speed, adjust to accommodate for getting through traffic and expect to take your time. This is never to be confused with a RECUMBANT, it's a standard type bicycle with a third wheel. There is no adaptation you can really expect for speed short of a motor, and 24" is probably a little small for an adult, this is a young/small girls size. 26" bikes were meant for young to teenaged boys and girls originally and a lot of adults still ride them...some recommend 27.5-29" as a matter of practice.

I find antique and vintage 26" to be mostly the right size for my 5'8" size even as I am close to 250 pounds. However, cantilever frames can be a bit small for me, heavier ballooners are what I'm more suited to, some frames are built stronger in either case.

Do try to have a bike shop fit you for a properly sized frame, much like you would for a two-wheeler. Fit is critical for any bike, any rider.
Afult trikes seem to all come in 24" or smaller sizes.. not 26, and as a 5' tall person that is probably right for me anyway- you're right about the wheels being a bit smaller and that it does have a third wheel on the ground, but I found it an enjoyable way to get back to biking and be stable at the same time.
Old 01-01-18, 03:35 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
As if i'd ride my trike on the road. Suicide. How's anyone supposed to see you if you're close to them..? You're under the window line. Remember they're not looking for people down there.
Old 01-01-18, 04:12 PM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
As if i'd ride my trike on the road. Suicide. How's anyone supposed to see you if you're close to them..? You're under the window line. Remember they're not looking for people down there.
I think this thread is causing confusion. There are 2 types of adult trikes- Recumbents (low) and Upright trikes which the OP seemed to be talking about and I am getting. The latter are basically a bike with a third wheel. They are just as upright as any other bike that is not recumbent.
Old 01-01-18, 04:26 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Good information to know that Brits only look 10 feet ahead of their bumper when driving.
Old 01-01-18, 06:10 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Good thing to know that people in Honolulu only ever drive straight forwards.
Old 01-02-18, 11:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
It's called a flag. BTW...A few years ago, while touring in Montana, I met a guy riding a recumbent trike across the country.
Old 01-03-18, 12:21 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
We can't nuke ourselves back to single cell organisms soon enough. Hopefully we get a better result next time things get to the "intelligent life" stage...
Old 01-03-18, 01:39 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's called a flag. BTW...A few years ago, while touring in Montana, I met a guy riding a recumbent trike across the country.
Recumbent bikes need more than flag. A local cyclist riding a recumbent bike. Was killed while crossing in the crosswalk, heading towards the off-road section of a local bike trail.
Old 01-04-18, 07:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
Recumbent bikes need more than flag. A local cyclist riding a recumbent bike. Was killed while crossing in the crosswalk, heading towards the off-road section of a local bike trail.
The driver in this case was most likely drunk or messing with his smart phone texting. That will not change until extremely harsh penalties are made law. Killing someone with a car should should have the same penalties as if a person used a gun or a knife to kill someone.
Old 01-04-18, 08:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
That proves nothing without solid evidence that the outcome would have been different had he been riding a diamond frame. Hell you didn't even state that his trike was equipped with a flag.
Old 01-04-18, 08:07 PM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know and have seen a lot of recumbents- this post is a) missing information and b) sadly could be true of so many things- a single incident means nothing in todays society of driving distracted. People pay so little attention- runners, walkers, people STANDING at an intersection get hit - a moving cycle may have been missed the same way.
Old 01-04-18, 09:37 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

I have a recumbent as well as various bikes, and i'm quite aware of how invisible i seem to be on it thanks.
Old 01-04-18, 09:59 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by khyricat
I know and have seen a lot of recumbents- this post is a) missing information and b) sadly could be true of so many things- a single incident means nothing in todays society of driving distracted. People pay so little attention- runners, walkers, people STANDING at an intersection get hit - a moving cycle may have been missed the same way.
At the crosswalk in question. It was a 50/50.

The cyclist was on a recumbent w/ only a flag. There had been ongoing problems of drivers blowing through that crosswalk without stopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.