Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best cycling gloves for 40 degrees?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 06:34 PM
DoYouDiverge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's getting cold in the Northeast so I'm looking for gloves that will be warm at 40-50 degrees. I doubt I'll ride in the 30s.

CASTELLI ESTREMO GLOVES
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...emo-glove-mens
Those seem promising but pricey at $90

I also tried the Pearl Izumi Thermal Lites and they don't seem too warm and are 99% polyester so will probably return them.

Any other recommendations?
Old 11-04-17, 06:37 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems thick to me. I got something silkish on Amazon. But, above 42 or 47 id go with Copper compression like Tommy Copper.
Old 11-04-17, 06:51 PM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The gloves you linked to say sub-freezing in the description. I would expect them to be way too much for 40 degree temps.
Old 11-04-17, 07:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I wear PI Cyclones at that temp range (and down to 30°), but it looks like the Thermal Lites are supposed to be slightly warmer than the Cyclones, so I don't know what to tell you.

Regardless, you shouldn't have to spend 90 bucks to keep your hands warm at 40° unless you've got some perpetually cold doctor's hands.
Old 11-04-17, 07:15 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
My hands get cold very easily. So I have a collection of gloves.

For 55F or higher, some thin glove liners under fingerless gloves. These do a reasonable job of blocking the wind, and I'll use them in the low 60s, since they don't get too hot either. And they are easy to stow in a jersey pocket if the day warms up.

For around 50F to almost 60F, some windblocking fleece gloves.

Shell gloves
For upper 30s (my usual limit) to a little over 50F: Marmot shell gloves from REI (on closeout now). These have a windproof/waterproof layer and a minimal thin brushed interior layer. I got them oversized, so I can use various liner gloves, up to fleece gloves as liners. Or even with no liners if the day warms up. And the shells can be aired out and the liners washed separately. I like the long wrist section, no cold breezes through my jacket cuffs.

I wore them recently at 45-48F with a thin liner. Comfy but not overly hot. Serviceable, but kind of cold, at 30F with three thin liners.

It's hard for me to find snug fitting gloves that still allow room for the insulation to work correctly.

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-04-17 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 08:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
If raining, Giro 100 Proof gloves. In the dry or a little warmer, the Craft Siberian Glove.
Old 11-04-17, 08:52 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
You will have to try and find out for yourself. It is different for everyone, as for me I use the same gloves as I do in the summer.
Old 11-04-17, 09:14 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
IDK to me 40 isnt all that cold. I would go with anything that has some kinda wind block @ that temp and ignore the insulation. But thats me. Specialized Deflect maybe?
Old 11-05-17, 02:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm going into a second winter with Bontrager RXL Thermal gloves. I liked 'em better than the Pearl Izumi Thermal Lites, which were a little too light (although I'm a Pearl Izumi fan and have several PI apparel items). Try the Bontragers at any Trek dealer. They're probably their most popular cool weather glove, around $20-$25.

The Bontragers feel like a better compromise. More durable palm leatherette, but no thick padding. More comfortable down into the 50s. Below that I'll add thin poly or silk ski glove liners -- I got the Bontrager gloves in large to leave room for liners, and was comfortable in them last weekend when the temp dropped into the high 30s. My toes were chilly and numb but hands were fine with the Bontragers and thin ski liners. Ideally I'd wear a medium for less slop around the fingers. And the Bontragers themselves can be used as liners for heavier gloves.

And I've worn them in summer and our mixed up Texas autum and spring. Saturday started in the high 50s with fog at dawn, climbed to the mid 80s and muggy by afternoon. The Bontrager RXL Thermal gloves were comfortable all day. I was riding an older steel road bike with downtube shifters.

They've become my favorite all around gloves, including for winter walks. If the weather is really cold I have heavier insulted ski gloves. But the Bontragers are thin enough to stuff in a pocket and not be in the way.

The Castelli Lightness glove appears very similar to the Bontrager RXL Thermal. I'd bet many cycling apparel makers buy the same fabric from one or two major sources and make similar gloves with minor differences in details -- reflective trim, palm protection, wipe material on the back, etc.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-05-17 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 05:59 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the gloves you showed might be too warm for days that don't at least start in the 30's.

rm -rf is definitely on to something with the layering. Layering gloves like you layer other garments has the same advantages.

Yesterday started in the low 40's and I was reluctant to wear gloves like the ones you suggested, knowing it would warm up into the 50. I had some nice wool gloves that were comfortable from the mid 40's into the mid-60's, but all I could find were some cheap, cheesy GFNY acrylic gloves and some funky old white and silver liners (reflective type). Plenty warm - in fact, too warm after it got into the 50's; fortunately I was able to remove the liners when we stopped. Similarly, for days that start below freezing, I'll often use my old ski gloves, which have fleece liners.
Old 11-05-17, 04:37 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
A good pair of knit gloves should do for that kind of temperature. I like them because they breath yet keep your hands warm. Something like:

Louis Garneau Premiere Gloves - Performance Exclusive - Performance Bike
Old 11-05-17, 08:45 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
$5 - $10 gloves at whatever discount store I happen to be in. I have 5 pairs of various weights depending on temperature. My "good" gloves are $20 discounted LL Bean gloves for riding below freezing.

I have some very thin knit gloves I can wear inside other gloves, and remove later if I warm up. I also wear just the thin gloves in the 50s.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-06-17, 01:39 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ordered some Gore Countdowns from Performance. Supposed to be a high of 35 on Saturday so I'll let you know how they work.
Old 11-06-17, 02:06 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Try on several work gloves from Home Depot. I can always find a nice pair cheap.
Old 11-07-17, 07:29 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
As someone with Reynaud's, I have yet to find a pair of gloves that actually keeps my hands warm. Have tried different styles from different brands and nothing works when it gets cold. 40° is the start of the painful season for me and that is right now. Currently using something from PI but will soon switch to my REI brand gloves and then the lobsters from PI. None of them keep my hands warm. Will be looking into battery heated USB rechargeable snowmobile gloves at some point when I can't take it anymore this year.
Old 11-07-17, 02:48 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
DuraGlove ET Charcoal Wool w/Black - Defeet International

40 degrees isn't difficult for gloves. I like wool.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 11-07-17, 07:50 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Like I said in a different thread, I use my 50-60F long finger gloves that I insert into windbreaker split finger overgloves softshell. They also add a layer of rain protection when needed.
Old 11-08-17, 07:06 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My fingers get cold in my office. I have yet to own cycling gloves that are too warm.
Old 11-08-17, 07:12 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gettingold
My fingers get cold in my office. I have yet to own cycling gloves that are too warm.
Welcome to my world. This morning at -3C i could only do one hour before I could not feel the shifter anymore wearing thick wool liners and PI lobster claws. Sucks.
Old 11-08-17, 08:53 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by DoYouDiverge
It's getting cold in the Northeast so I'm looking for gloves that will be warm at 40-50 degrees. I doubt I'll ride in the 30s.

CASTELLI ESTREMO GLOVES
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...emo-glove-mens
Those seem promising but pricey at $90

I also tried the Pearl Izumi Thermal Lites and they don't seem too warm and are 99% polyester so will probably return them.

Any other recommendations?
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
DuraGlove ET Charcoal Wool w/Black - Defeet International

40 degrees isn't difficult for gloves. I like wool.
I wore the gloves linked by Brian last night in 45-50 degree weather and they were great. However, if the Pearl Izumi gloves weren't warm enough for you, many of our suggestions are kind of useless. It varies from person to person.

For temps at 40ish and below (which may be your 40-50 degrees), I like gloves that have a fleece lining with an outer shell. Even better if they have a thin layer of something like 3M thinsulate insulation. One pair that I really love is actually a pair of winter gloves from Target with leather palms and a herringbone wool back. I have a pair of Giro gloves with a similar build that I usually grab as they are more cycling specific and less bulky.

EDIT: I would agree with others that the Castelli gloves you linked would probably be overkill. While the hand portion of the gloves looks like it would work well, the tight wrist closure limits it to much colder temps. The band will act as a barrier and make the gloves a sweat box, so you end up with really sweaty hands that will get cold because they are soaked. The gloves I wear with a fleece lining have a looser wrist and allow air to escape at the cuff, so it's not building up perspiration inside the glove.

These are the Giro gloves I have.

Last edited by WalksOn2Wheels; 11-08-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 11:01 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I never understood the thinking of the people posting these "What is the best..." threads. The question is inane - there is no possible way to answer. "Seeking suggestions for ..." makes sense, but even if the "...best..." question is very specific as to what parameter(s) go into determining "best", in the end the kit needs to work for the OP, and people are variable enough that there is no possible way for other people to answer this question for someone other than themselves. Do people really fail to understand what they're asking when they post these questions, or is there some jargon I'm not privy to, using which the questions makes sense?

(Rant over.)

----------
Old 11-08-17, 01:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I never understood...
Tha's 'cause you lack imagination.
Old 11-08-17, 02:43 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
What I use:

32f-60f:
I wear windproof gloves with fleece, no insulation. I find anything with insulation is to warm and uncomfortable. Couldn't find a quick link, I bought mine at midwest mountaineering.

15f-32f:

"Craft Siberian Wind & Waterproof Bike Gloves":
https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Siberia...%2Bgloves&th=1

They're are the warmest "thin" gloves I could find, they have some insulation but they still let me use the shifters on my road bike without trouble.

I don't have much of an issue with cold extremities. That varies a lot from person to person. If you do, you might prefer the warmer gloves above freezing.
Old 11-08-17, 03:55 PM
DoYouDiverge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sized down on the PI Thermal Lites and am happy with the gloves in 40-50. The slimmer fit helped.
Old 11-08-17, 04:20 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Ones I _can't_ recommend are the Gore crabclaw Windstoppers, the ones with the red poly liner. At least if you're sensitive to cold. Not warm for me at any temp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.