Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pump and gauge for fat tyres

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 01:30 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

I've got a Topeak Joe Blow pump that has served me well for years and is still going strong. However, the gauge on it is very approximate and more suited to high pressures. Plus, it'd probably take some effort to pump up large volume tyres.

Hence, I'm looking for a similar pump that's better suited for fat tyres, and a gauge to check the pressures more accurately. Any recommendations would be welcome.
Old 11-20-17, 01:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rubber boat pumps are large volume low pressure.
Old 11-20-17, 02:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Air compressor to put in the garage. If you want to take it with you, then high volume pumps might be a problem to carry on a bike.

Accurate gauge? Just don't compare any to another. But do look for one that max's out it's range not too far over what your desired pressure is.
Old 11-20-17, 02:32 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Most air pump gauges use a common pipe thread and can be easily exchanged for another with a more-suitable pressure range. I took the small 160psi gauge off of my Air Hammer pump and replaced it with a large 60psi one, as I do not need pressures higher than 50psi. Much easier to read and better resolution. Easy to swap back if desired.
Old 11-20-17, 02:49 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
I've got a Topeak Joe Blow pump that has served me well for years and is still going strong. However, the gauge on it is very approximate and more suited to high pressures. Plus, it'd probably take some effort to pump up large volume tyres.

Hence, I'm looking for a similar pump that's better suited for fat tyres, and a gauge to check the pressures more accurately. Any recommendations would be welcome.
You know there's a Joe Blow Fat, right? Only goes to 30 psi, and the barrel is so big you get basically 1psi per pump. It totally rocks!

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Joe-Bl...s=joe+blow+fat
Old 11-20-17, 09:47 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've been using the Topeak Joe Blow Dualie pump
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Blow-D.../dp/B0186OS7JW

it has dual pressure gauges, 0-30, and 30-80. So I can use it for both my Fat bike and Normal bike. Won't go high enough for a Road bike though.

Pretty happy with it.

I really wish someone would make a Fatbike Frame Pump.
Yeah, I realize it would take forever to inflate from empty, use the floor pump for that.
but the intent would be a portable frame pump who's gauge could accurately register 0-15 PSI ranges so I can make minor PSI adjustments based on the terrain....
Old 11-21-17, 01:06 AM
taz777

My fat bike has Presta valves, so this limits getting a gauge with a low measuring range. I was considering using my existing pump to slightly over-inflate the tyres and then use a gauge with an air-bleed valve to reduce back to the desired pressure.

In fact, I have a very high quality tyre pressure gauge for my car but that is for Schrader valves so I cannot use that.

Perhaps a fat bike tyre pump with a 0-30PSI range that incorporates a bleed valve might be the best and simplest option?
@Wheever: I’ll check out the Topeak fat pump too.
@xenologer: I’ll look into that dualie.
Old 11-21-17, 06:59 AM
taz777

Originally Posted by xenologer
I've been using the Topeak Joe Blow Dualie pump
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Blow-D.../dp/B0186OS7JW

it has dual pressure gauges, 0-30, and 30-80. So I can use it for both my Fat bike and Normal bike. Won't go high enough for a Road bike though.

Pretty happy with it.
I've just ordered that one. It was a toss-up between the Topeak Fat or the Dualie. The Dualie appears to have the same wider barrel for more air volume. The two gauges would work for my fat and cruiser bikes so I'd get better value out of it.

I checked on the Topeak site and it does have an air-release valve for fine-tuning the pressure.
Old 11-21-17, 08:06 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
...I really wish someone would make a Fatbike Frame Pump.
Yeah, I realize it would take forever to inflate from empty, use the floor pump for that.
but the intent would be a portable frame pump who's gauge could accurately register 0-15 PSI ranges so I can make minor PSI adjustments based on the terrain....
Your wish is my command!

https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Micro-...=AX1CXKBL37772
Old 11-21-17, 06:34 PM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
You know there's a Joe Blow Fat, right? Only goes to 30 psi, and the barrel is so big you get basically 1psi per pump. It totally rocks!
I have one of these. The gauge is way off.
Old 11-21-17, 09:31 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by rangie
I have one of these. The gauge is way off.
I have this 15 psi gauge and it shows the same value as my Joe blow dualie. so they seem accurate.

ultimately the actual number doesn't matter as long as you take the same gauge. it is a bit trial and error to determine the initial pressure that feels good. As kids we never had gauges and just pumped up to what felt good.... never had a problem.
Old 11-22-17, 03:20 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Perhaps a fat bike tyre pump with a 0-30PSI range that incorporates a bleed valve might be the best and simplest option?
I over inflate slightly with my floor pump. Then I bleed down to exactly what I want using one of these. It is for Presta. They stay on the valve stem by themselves once you press it on. It holds the reading when you relese the button, making micro-adjusting easy. Truly a one handed gig. The 90 degree stem makes life easy. Small, accurate, well made and inexpensive.

https://www.ghmeiser.com/bicycle-gauges.htm

Old 11-22-17, 05:37 AM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
ultimately the actual number doesn't matter as long as you take the same gauge. it is a bit trial and error to determine the initial pressure that feels good. As kids we never had gauges and just pumped up to what felt good.... never had a problem.
With a fatbike small changes can make a pretty big difference in how the bike handles. I can't tell the difference between 7 and 8psi by feeling the tire. On the trail that 1psi change is a world of difference.
Old 11-22-17, 06:42 AM
taz777

I'll see how the Dualie pump works out. As others have said, some experimentation will be need to find a front and rear pressure that works for me. At that point I'll just note the values shown on the gauge and use those as the preferred values to set the pressures to.

That Meiser gauge is so difficult to get hold of in the UK! It is available on eBay UK but the price and postage costs are prohibitive at the moment.

I'll try to source a similar gauge that isn't so costly.
Old 11-22-17, 06:48 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
You can get a Presta to Schrader valve adapter at your LBS for a buck or two. That would let you use your good gauge, AND be able to use a gas station's or auto/tire repair shop's air hose if you wanted to.
Old 11-22-17, 07:18 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I'll see how the Dualie pump works out. As others have said, some experimentation will be need to find a front and rear pressure that works for me. At that point I'll just note the values shown on the gauge and use those as the preferred values to set the pressures to.

That Meiser gauge is so difficult to get hold of in the UK! It is available on eBay UK but the price and postage costs are prohibitive at the moment.

I'll try to source a similar gauge that isn't so costly.
15 pounds including postage for the deluxe 15 PSI model

Meiser Presta Valve Dial Gauge Low Pressure Bicycle Tire Gauge 15psi PR15BX | eBay
Old 11-25-17, 01:14 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts

Precision vs accuracy. If your pressure gauge is precise (most good quality are, at least precise, if not accurate) - it will always show the same reading for the same pressure. Just find by trial and error what reading on the gauge suits you best. It might not show the accurate pressure, but you'll get what you need.

For the effort - how many tyres do you pump up each day? High pressure pumps are actually easier to pump with, you just make a few more strokes. If you need a pump for car tyres as well, then do get a higher volume one, but for bicycles - I see no need.
Old 12-10-17, 04:22 AM
taz777

I've used the Topeak Dualie a few times now, both on my new fat bike and my cruiser. It works very well and has been great to use as I play around with the pressures on the fat tyres. The dual gauges really do work well, and is quite a clever idea.
Old 12-10-17, 05:13 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I treated myself to an all plastic Harbor Freight tire pump for $8.99 this year. Takes at least 30 strokes to get my fat tires up to 15 psi. It hasn't blown up yet getting to 80 PSI for my thinner tires. I like it.

Hope I never get a flat away from home on the fat bike. It's hard to break the bead on my tires. Had to get steel core tire levers.