Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleaning carbon

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cleaning carbon

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 01:14 PM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cleaning carbon

Do any of you guys use wet wipes on your carbon frame/wheels? What brand/kind do you use? Which are safe for use on carbon? Or how else are you cleaning your carbon components? I don't have access to a hose in my apartment, so wet wipes would be handiest, but I don't want to damage anything

Thanks

Matt
Old 07-11-18, 01:19 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been known to power wash my carbon bike in the past, although now I'd just use the "shower" setting on my hose to avoid water unnecessarily getting inside the frame. Carbon isn't fragile or high maintenance: Using wet wipes wouldn't phase me in the least, but just make sure you don't wash it with a hammer and you'll be fine

After 3 years and 14,000+ miles, the frame is still in great shape but the Ultegra derailleurs could probably use a thorough cleaning (it's not as smooth as it used to be).

Geoff
Old 07-11-18, 01:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You can use wet wipes. They're a really expensive way to go about it, but they won't hurt the bike.

You can also use a damp rag, or paper towels.
Old 07-11-18, 01:38 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I wipe down with a microfiber towel and Mothers Quick Detailer spray.
Old 07-11-18, 01:44 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4377 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
Almost no chemical will hurt the carbon fibers and the epoxy resin CF bikes are made from. But the paint is no different than the paint on a steel bike, so avoid things like abrasives, acids, acetone or alcohol. Soap, windex, baby wipes, oil and mineral spirits are all safe choices.
Old 07-11-18, 03:36 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What @Kontact said.

You're going to be hard pressed to find something that will damage the carbon and resin that will actually be safe to handle. Personally, I use dish soap and water, followed by a spray on automotive wax for that new bike shine (currently using RainX). Any wipes that are safe for you to use without gloves on should be perfectly fine on the frame.
As an aside about the resilience and longevity of carbon, the only carbon frame I've had to retire not due to a crash was because after 10+ years and over 25,000mi, the bonded-in aluminum bottom bracket shell was starting to oxidize and corrode. I had at points in time used various cleaners and glue removers on it to clean off residue from stickers, frame protectors, etc., including alcohol and acetone (I would still heed Kontact's warning about those). There was some yellowing of the clear coat due to UV, but the frame itself was fine. It was actually still rideable, but the outer part of the shell was in a state that if the BB was removed, I likely wouldn't be able to install another one safely.
Old 07-11-18, 03:43 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4377 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by pesty
What @Kontact said.

You're going to be hard pressed to find something that will damage the carbon and resin that will actually be safe to handle. Personally, I use dish soap and water, followed by a spray on automotive wax for that new bike shine (currently using RainX). Any wipes that are safe for you to use without gloves on should be perfectly fine on the frame.
As an aside about the resilience and longevity of carbon, the only carbon frame I've had to retire not due to a crash was because after 10+ years and over 25,000mi, the bonded-in aluminum bottom bracket shell was starting to oxidize and corrode. I had at points in time used various cleaners and glue removers on it to clean off residue from stickers, frame protectors, etc., including alcohol and acetone (I would still heed Kontact's warning about those). There was some yellowing of the clear coat due to UV, but the frame itself was fine. It was actually still rideable, but the outer part of the shell was in a state that if the BB was removed, I likely wouldn't be able to install another one safely.
Precisely. I have a Calfee Luna. It has no paint or clear coat on it or the Alpha Q fork, and the BB, brake insert and dropouts are Ti. You could hose that bike off with salt water and paint stripper without hurting anything but the decals. The biggest thing that hurts carbon frames are aluminum inserts and galvanic corrosion.
Old 07-11-18, 07:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I use a 10:1 mixture of water and Single Green.
Old 07-11-18, 07:33 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I use lemon pledge when I need a quick clean. Smells nice too.
Old 07-11-18, 07:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Wet rag.

Always do the easy and simple thing first.

-Tim-
Old 07-11-18, 11:16 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I use lemon pledge when I need a quick clean. Smells nice too.
Good idea! I should do that on my new bike, the smell would match its color

(Ok yes I was looking for an excuse to post a picture of my bike LOL)

Geoff
Old 07-12-18, 02:36 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Its not the carbon you should worry about. Its the rest of the bike getting ruined from solvents and corrosive liquids that get into the bearings and mechanics. I spend very little time cleaning my bike and 90% of that is devoted to the drive chain. The rest is mostly wiping the bike with a microfiber cloth with a bit of silicone oil and the occasional dousing with the garden shower.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 07-12-18 at 02:41 AM.