Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reasonable Size Top Tube / Bag Suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 03:15 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I'm looking for some suggestions for a reasonable size top tube bag as most of them seem fairly small and really want something that will at least take a spare layer of clothing ..... either one that's been taken off as I get too hot or one to put on if I get too cold.

I use a saddlebag for all puncture repair kit and currently have a Blackburn Outpost frame bag on my 29er which is brilliant BUT you can't then fit a water bottle on either the seat tube or down tube so end up having to mount it on the handlebars which I don't really like.

I'm about to buy another bike and ideally would look for an alternative set up, I was thinking about a handlebar bag as they offer about 3 ltre capacity but with speedo, phone mount, bell and lights on the bars it doesn't leave a lot of room left to mount one.

If anyone knows of any decent size top tube bags or any alternative suggestions I'd be interested in hearing them.
Old 08-30-18, 04:03 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't know of one big enough to put clothes in. It would end up flopping over to the side of your tube. I don't even like small ones for that reason. Get this:

Old 08-30-18, 04:54 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I don't know of one big enough to put clothes in. It would end up flopping over to the side of your tube. I don't even like small ones for that reason. Get this:
That looks like a really nice / quality bag and like the attachment which would keep it secure rather than swinging around BUT I don't think a torch would sit up over the top of it and whilst you could probably mount bits to the side on a pair MTB bars I think you’d struggle with lack of width on drop bars with bar tape which is what the new bike will be.
Old 08-30-18, 05:20 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 35 Posts
My solution to the same issue is two of these, not really bike bags but they mount back to back on the top tube and work great.

Old 08-30-18, 05:53 AM
Witterings

Alleytom ..... do your knees bang on those ???

Does anyone happen to have tried one of these

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...ak-dyna-drybag

I like the zip up mesh part and could keep all your puncture repair stuff in there and then anything else separate in the main compartment ... although I did see a video where it implied they're not very secure and the bag came away from the mount after going over a few bumps.

I don't think I'd be able to fit one on my 29er as there probably wouldn't be enough clearance between the bottom of the bag and the mudguard but n the new bike maybe.
Old 08-30-18, 10:21 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Alleytom
My solution to the same issue is two of these, not really bike bags but they mount back to back on the top tube and work great.

My knees would constantly be hitting or rubbing on those bags. I do have a small top tube bag on both my bikes, and my knees hit them on occasion.
Old 08-30-18, 11:01 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
https://www.milltownsports.com/produ...iABEgIzWvD_BwE
Old 08-30-18, 12:07 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Alleytom

That looks like way more of a problem than a solution- sorry.
Old 08-31-18, 07:40 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 35 Posts
Originally bought one as a handlebar bag, decided on two as a top tube bag setup and they actually work great for me. And no, I do not hit them with my knees.