Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Cervélo P5 disk Vs BMC Timemachine 01 disk

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 06-20-19, 07:55 AM
Frankascanbe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,
I’m a long time roadie moving into TT. any thoughts on which of these is the better bike. Price point is similar for both, looking at bolting on Ultegra Di2, zipp forecast wheels ISM saddle and quark power meter.
Old 06-27-19, 12:56 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I have ridden neither of the disk versions. But since you've been a week without any replies . . .

Last year, I owned and rode a BMC TimeMachine 02 with Ultegra Di2 and the old Dura Ace (2-button) auxiliary shifters. I liked the bike a lot. It was very comfortable and stable and I found it very easy to perfect my aero position on the bike. I was extremely fast on that bike and I wish I still had it. Since the TimeMachine hasn't changed, except for the addition of disks, I would have no hesitation recommending it for you. Excellent bike.
Old 07-01-19, 01:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
TT is about what is fastest, period. The current data says that discs only go faster if you really really need the stopping/weather capabilities of disc brakes. The aero data is in fact crystal clear on the issue. Rim is faster than disc brakes.

In that case, I can't recommend either.

Those are also really bling and low fit adjustable bikes compared to something to start with if trying out TT. Integrated cockpits can be setup, but it is harder and can be more expensive and possibly have less fit coordinates.

I'd get a fit first. Then have the person run the fit coordinates to see what bikes being sold would work.

Also, consider using your road wheels to train and building the wheel setup separate from buying a paired set. A generic piece of **** box section wheel with a $100 disc cover is faster than most any deep section rear. If you've got the money for new Zipps, get a rear disc and learn to ride it in the wind.

You're forgetting a skinsuit and helmet. With bikes in that price range I wouldn't spend less than a brand new Bodypaint 3.3 for a suit.

Oh, and shoes/cleats..........no need with the fastest newest framesets/wheels if you plan to run SPD-SL's.
Old 08-05-19, 10:23 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rim brake development has slowed down if not stopped by the manufacturers.
Every faster generation of bike will have disc brakes.

I would get the BMC for the split stem, but I have no real experience with either bike.