Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Tutto frame with Alfine DI2 build question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-26-19, 10:21 PM
Klefisch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am finally able to commute to work by bike and decided to create a build for a nice allround bike.
I want it to be quite unique and decided on a Cinelli Tutto frame in combination with a Gates belt drive for low maintenance.
At first I was opting for single speed since that's what the frame is made for, but after trying my commute on a diffrent bike I decided that some gears would be quite nice
and added the Alfine DI2 with 11 gears to the setup. Unfortunately the sifting levers would be the ugliest parts of the whole bike (I know I know but I like the optics) and while looking for a solution I stumbled across the motorized shifting option for the DI2. Here's the lin-k to the manual which gives a pretty good picture of what I am looking at on page 44 in preparation for my question ...
I can't post the lin-k since this is only my 2nd post but just google "DM-AL0001-12-ENG.pdf manual"

Long story short, will I be able to have the Alfine setup internally wired as shown in the picture? I know the frame has internal routing options for the brakes but it doesn't mention if there's additional space for the shifter wires. And if not everything can go inside the frame, can someone think of an option to at least put the battery and the junction box inside and run the cables outside, maybe with a harness?

Would be great if I could get some feedback on this to figure out how to move on with this. I don't want to order the parts and then it turns out it doesn't work at all.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-19, 05:29 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I am confused by some of this. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The Cinelli Tutto has 120 mm rear spacing and the Alfine Hub of any sort is 135 mm, how is it possible to even fit the hub into the frame? Right here says it is a no go.

Second, even if the hub could fit, how can you fit the Gates Belt Drive into the frame without the provision of the frame being separable? The frame needs to be able to "split" to allow the installation of the belt. Second no go.

The internal routing you pointed too is for bike that have the Di2 holes pre-drilled or manufactured into the frame already. You might be able to run wires from the handlebar junction box into the brake routing holes but I am not confident there will be enough room. If you didn't like the idea of shifters why would you like external junction boxes and zip tied wires?

This is a non-starter for the first two reasons I listed above. The rest is just pragmatic stuff on the next frame etc. At the best of times it is more difficult, but not impossible to run a geared system on a 120 mm rear triangle. Fixation had a 5 speed kit using a traditional derailleur system.

Time to rethink this.
Old 08-29-19, 06:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,932 Times in 4,669 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I am confused by some of this. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The Cinelli Tutto has 120 mm rear spacing and the Alfine Hub of any sort is 135 mm, how is it possible to even fit the hub into the frame? Right here says it is a no go.

Second, even if the hub could fit, how can you fit the Gates Belt Drive into the frame without the provision of the frame being separable? The frame needs to be able to "split" to allow the installation of the belt. Second no go.

The internal routing you pointed too is for bike that have the Di2 holes pre-drilled or manufactured into the frame already. You might be able to run wires from the handlebar junction box into the brake routing holes but I am not confident there will be enough room. If you didn't like the idea of shifters why would you like external junction boxes and zip tied wires?

This is a non-starter for the first two reasons I listed above. The rest is just pragmatic stuff on the next frame etc. At the best of times it is more difficult, but not impossible to run a geared system on a 120 mm rear triangle. Fixation had a 5 speed kit using a traditional derailleur system.

Time to rethink this.
You're wrong about the part in bold, above. The frame does have a split-able seat stay to allow use of a belt.

You're correct about the rear dropout spacing, though - it won't allow use of an Alfine hub.
Old 08-29-19, 10:38 PM
Klefisch

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. That's indeed a dealbreaker
Dang I really loved that frame, I was going for a single speed at first and then decided to go for gears and missed the hub spacing. I guess I got to excited

Back to the drawing board. Since the 120mm Tutto spacing doesn't allow for any innternally geared hubs as far as I can tell I need to look at a new frame.
Any ideas which brand makes frames that allow the Alfine DI2, internal routing and a belt drive?

​​​​​​​Again, thanks for your help.
Old 08-30-19, 05:39 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Klefisch
Back to the drawing board. Since the 120mm Tutto spacing doesn't allow for any innternally geared hubs as far as I can tell I need to look at a new frame.
Any ideas which brand makes frames that allow the Alfine DI2, internal routing and a belt drive?
Soma makes this frame that supports belt drive: https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/wolverine. Cable routing looks to be external though, and the frame is designed for tires that might be wider than you had intended to run.
Old 11-12-20, 01:36 AM
Cowombat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SRAM eTap

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately the Wolverine doesn't fit Alfine Di2 and Gates. You can have Gates and manual hub. Or chain and Di2. Not both - I know, tried to configure it. Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf frame to suit Alfine Di2 with Gates?

Last edited by Cowombat; 11-12-20 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-12-20, 11:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Perhaps less vanity and more practicality would help. Its a commuter, get a bike that makes sense instead of one that looks a specific way.