Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Studs On!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Studs On!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 08:23 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Studs On!

Had a little snow last Thursday, so I mounted my Nokian Suomi W-106 tires yesterday and went for a shakedown ride on dry pavement.

This was the first ride on the tires since I converted the bike to drop bars a couple of weeks ago.

With the 26x1.85 summer slicks the new and lighter drop-bars gave the bike a livelier, more playful feel. So I couldn't wait to see how the revised bike would be with the heavier, duller studded tires with their higher rolling resistance and reduced grippiness on dry pavement. Actually, the combination of shoulder knobs and studs have made for a slightly skittish combination.

Well, the bike was still lively and fun, although my average speed was down about 1.5 mph from the summer tires which is what it had been in the past. Stability was good (which I was worried about with the new center of gravity) and although the heavy bike was still a chore to pedal up a long, gradual uphill on one of my routes, my hands didn't ache after the ride, and my hips no longer seem to mind the long cranks with the new riding position.

So now I am awaiting snow and ice with as much eagerness as when I first bought the tires a few years ago, but with less uncertainty.

Brrrrr-ing it!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-13-19, 05:08 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I've got the W106s on one of my bikes. They are surprising decent rolling and confident inspiring. Not ready to put them on yet, though.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 10-13-19, 06:02 PM
John_1961
LOVE TO BIKE

Bikes: GIANT OCR 3 / Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run Shark Tooth 26" studed tires on my Reid Hercule
Fat Bike.
Old 10-13-19, 06:59 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I have Nokian Extreme 294 tires on my mountain bike. They are pretty much fun on snow and ice. I won't need them here in the Chicago area for another month or so.

Riding on a frozen lake!
Likes For sweeks: