Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: I am:
working full time
58.82%
working part time
7.56%
retired
33.61%
independently wealthy and never worked
0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Retired

Old 12-21-06, 08:53 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retired

I think today was my last day of work. My contract has run out and I have no inclination to pursue other work. I am 61 and I read in the paper last week that the average age for retiring in Canada (or was it Ontario) is 61. So, unless I get bored (unlikely), an offer I can't refuse (unlikely) or my wife can't stand me around (likely), then I expect to do a lot more cycling in 2007. Heading to Miami Beach for a month so I will get a head start.

How many people on this forum are retired? Some of you seem to have a lot of time on your hands.
Old 12-21-06, 09:15 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm still at least 8 years from retirement. And still have one child in college and another in high school.

I'll be 59 when my youngest should be completing her 4th year of college.

Getting five children through college certainly set back my retirement plans.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 12-21-06 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 09:17 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've been retired 2 years 5 months and 15 days. I retired at 57. Best thing I ever did. Cycling, photography and music keep me busy.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 12-21-06, 09:36 PM
Halfast
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Miyata, Fuji

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I retired very early, and glad I did. I have done things in my early retirement I could not do now at 63.
Old 12-21-06, 09:43 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Retired at 53 after 32 years as a welder. 2 years and 4 months.I have not been bored for 1 minute yet.Do it the minute you can manage it , you wont regret it.
Old 12-21-06, 10:05 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm digging myself out of debt after marriage. Retirement is not a likely prospect.
Old 12-21-06, 10:09 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I retired at age 52 from what was then Ameritech/Ohio Bell Telephone, now AT&T, with 30+ years service. That was in 1994. I then worked at a living history museum from '96-'99, but that was mostly a "hobby job".

I've been work free since '99.
Old 12-21-06, 10:39 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I'm digging myself out of debt after marriage. Retirement is not a likely prospect.
I think we are twins, separated at birth. +1

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-21-06, 10:45 PM
deraltekluge

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hah! I like that expression, "work free"! I've been work free since 1988.
Old 12-21-06, 10:53 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louis
I retired at age 52 from what was then Ameritech/Ohio Bell Telephone, now AT&T, with 30+ years service. That was in 1994.
My oldest brother "retired" from Bell South after 30 years at age 54. Due to still having debts from two divorces, he has been working in various short-term jobs for the past 5 years and still has a year or so left until he is "work free."
Old 12-21-06, 11:38 PM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
April 3,2006 I too will be work free after 31 years and 5 1/2 months as a paramedic in B.C. Can't wait. 103 days and not counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My work partner will be work free as of that date also,she's counting!
Old 12-22-06, 03:10 AM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 61 now. I retired two weeks before my 58th birthday due to an upcoming major upheaval in my retirement system that would have reduced my benefit by about $350.00 a month. I did not really want to retire but it would have taken an additional 12 years to recoup the loss, barring any further attacks on the system, so out the door I went. I must say that I now wonder how I found the time to go to work. During my working days, I got about of 6 hours sleep a night... just enough to function at an acceptable level but not enough to feel good. Now I sleep 8 or 9 hours, don't use (or need) an alarm clock and I feel great. I adjusted quite quickly to retired life and soon lost all interest in going back to work.
Old 12-22-06, 03:57 AM
ITT

Bikes: Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m 63 and at the end of December 2006 will have been retired for 2 years and love every minute. My wife is also retired and just picked up a little part time job to get her out of the house a few hours a day. We can plan or day around what ever is out there that we do not want to deal with, weather, morning or evening traffic etc. My cycling season has been extended. This is the time of the year when it would have been dark my the time I got home from work. Now I can get out anytime of the day.
I’m the envy of I bunch of cyclist I meet for a ride on their lunch hour. They tease me about already being on my bike for an hour before they show up and now my job is riding a bike. Then I remind the group of 30 and 40 year olds that I’ve paid my dues by working the past forty some years. I also tell them as we start to break up after the hour ride to get back work so my Social Security checks will keep coming in Ha, Ha, Ha. Love it.
Old 12-22-06, 06:43 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I retired 2 years ago at 65yo.

However, due to my family's pretty unusual medical situation over the past 40 years, I never had a "regular" job in the terms of being with one company for a long time, and I effectively stopped working a couple of times to help rehabilitate my sons from injuries, and to start and operate a non-profit agency for one of them.

My last four years were teaching math in a middle school - one of those that was very multicultural, a lot of kids who didn't speak English, fights, homeless kids, etc. It was not a fun four years, but I needed the retirement credits.

One of the major problems in the US of A nowadays is paying for medical insurance for a family without being 65 and on Medicare. It is tremendously expensive unless your former employer assists, something that more and more employers are opting out of.

But, I keep VERY busy with a variety of projects. I tend to organize and run varieties of groups, and am deeply involved in some major changes in how the state delivers services to adults with developmental disabilities. I (and my group) are the ones crying "foul" across the state, and we are being heard. We are now putting together a statewide "poll" of parents. I also coordinated a project to write an online book by parents. I also have my music group and the church choirs, and my voice and guitar lessons and preparing solos. My wife and I also seem to need to see the doc a bit more than we used to. The wife will be undergoing a knee replacement in 3 weeks.

Then there is bicycling and walking, working out in my basement gym, the Rogue's Gallery, etc.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-22-06 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-22-06, 07:52 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I keep sniffing around for what could become my retirement career. With 4 kids to get through college, I'll need another career by then. (hmmm, golf course marshal, walmart greeter, school bus driver, home depot, local ace hardware, radio shack, mickey-D's, handyman, ..the possibilities are so rich.)
Old 12-22-06, 07:58 AM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband just turned 54 today (Happy Birthday Honey!) We are hoping we can both retire by the middle of July 2007. He is VERY ready to retire--can't stand his job anymore with the City (to unstable--the City, not my husband) and he isn't enjoying the job anymore so it's time to get out. I'm lucky I get to work from home but would still enjoy having those 9 hours for other things. In a month or so we should know something for certain about our financial ability to retire and for now we are keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 12-22-06, 08:08 AM
OBXBIKR

Bikes: 2 canondale road bikes, one modified for touring, one virgin. Co-Motion Nor'wester on order now (2/5/06)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the midst of all you happily retired folks, I guess I'm the lone happily un-retired 69 year old in the bunch. I've had my own small tax/accounting practice for over 20 years, and I still love the challenge and mental excercise of dealing with complex tax matters. I have, however, given over day-to-day boring tasks to my son and one other employee who has been with me for over 15 years. I announced last year that I plan to take the summers off and work limited hours for the other months except Jan-April. That's retired enough for me.
Old 12-22-06, 08:14 AM
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retired almost 6 years ago due to medical problems. Haven't regretted it. Trouble with retirement is that you get too many projects going at once and never seem to get time to finish them all! My wife says I have to go get a job so I have time for all my hobbies!
Old 12-22-06, 08:14 AM
jedde

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R-Day - 179 (work days), but who's counting?
As teachers, my (already retired) wife and I have been 'rehearsing for retirement' for several summers without the boys around.
Old 12-22-06, 08:24 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I just passed up one heck of a deal from my company that offered an incredible separation opportunity. The numbers just didn't work for me for right now. Like dbg, college tuitions are delaying my departure and entrance into the next phase. Surprisingly not many of my coworkers who are in the financial position to leave and are essentially working for nothing didn't opt to go. Those poor souls said they just don't know what to do with their time.

At least the end is in sight for me and I should have 3 of the 4 tuitions behind me in 2 years. The big challenge will continue to be how to handle medical coverage. Even with what our company has under a retirement medical plan it takes a huge bite out of a fixed monthly income. I'd welcome the chance to do some no-pressure part-time job just to continue some interface with others.

Post retirement I already have my sights set on LAGBRAU, cycling across the US a la Will D, spending more time supporting Time Trials, playing golf at Pebble Beach, touring the west & midwest again, Alaska plus all the dang projects around the house that will need attention. I'm not sure I'll have any time after retiring!!!

Maybe one of us needs to think about putting more organization around this 50+ cycling stuff. We're growing by leaps and bounds and there could be incredible opportunities outside the forum such as Regional rides or hosting of groups of 50+ ers on our favorite routes and trails or sitting around campfires (in hotel lobbies!!!) sharing experiences. Anyone that has visionary abilities, organizational skills and a thick skin would do a great job at putting something together and taking it to another level........

Last edited by jppe; 12-22-06 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-22-06, 08:29 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I can't imagine not working. I really love what I do. Now, I would like to have more flexibility in my schedule, but to give up work... not yet, even if I were wealthy (Which from the survey results we don't have many of posting on this forum). Ken, I hope retirement is what you want it to be.
Old 12-22-06, 08:32 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to a stop at the Navy recruiters office at the Univeristy of Wyoming in Nov 1973, I was able to retire in 1994 at age 42. 20 years as an officer allowed me to see the world and save enough to pay off the house (no spouse then or children {still}). Each and every month I remind myself how fortunate I have been and also remember how considerate it is of my fellow citizens to pay their taxes to keep my retirement check coming. Thank you all - I am not worthy.

Finally, in repsonse to jppe - anyone who wants to come up to Laramie (in the SUMMER), I will be happy to show you the local riding scene.
Old 12-22-06, 08:34 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Maybe one of us needs to think about putting more organization around this 50+ cycling stuff. We're growing by leaps and bounds and there could be incredible opportunities outside the forum such as Regional rides or hosting of groups of 50+ ers on our favorite routes and trails or sitting around campfires (in hotel lobbies!!!) sharing experiences. Anyone that has visionary abilities, organizational skills and a thick skin would do a great job at putting something together and taking it to another level........
And I nominate - hmmm...........

Who could possibly do that - " visionary abilities, organizational skills and a thick skin "?

Why that would be, of course

JPPE!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-22-06 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-22-06, 08:47 AM
wavygravy

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retired from the Air Force at age 39. Have been managing small, rural, utility districts for 8 of the 10 year since leaving the AF. Love the work, challenge, etc. When I don't love it anymore I will go home.
Old 12-22-06, 09:17 AM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At age 53, I've got the 1st of three kids entering college this spring. Retirement is at least a decade away.

BUT I've got a job I love (can't believe someone pays me to do something that brings me so many rewards) with long hours but high schedule flexibility, good benefits and adequate salary. No complaints.

Retirement dream for me: to be a campground host in national parks during 4-6 months / year and in warmer climes each winter. Both to allow cycling. Also want to do a coast-to-coast tour but these things can wait a few years.

I do envy those whose financial situations have worked out to allow early retirement and choices for how you spend your time...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.