Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 01:09 PM
jimhens714

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rykoala
OK by using your dating method I found that my frame is a 1985. It has the CroMoly frame and Hi-Tensile fork blades. Sounds like we have the same bike, in different sizes! My bike will be finished tonight (gotta get the brakes routed) and I'll get a picture snapped but I won't have it until later this week. Still haven't bought a digital! Ours have the same color scheme too, which is cool.
Sounds good. Mine is a 52cm.

I debated about converting mine to singlespeed but I found a Raleigh frame instead. My Centurion was originally a 12 speed and is 21 now. The crankset is original (Sugino VT) and had the threaded holes to add the granny ring. I also exchanged the 6 speed freewheel for a 7. I finally wore out the hubs and went to 700C when I built new rims. Mine was originally 27" rim equipped. Incidentally I used the original brakes when I went to 700C. They're long reach and work with the smaller diameter rims.
Old 01-25-05, 01:11 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is interesting. Mine is equipped with 27" wheels because its what I had on hand, and what I could get. So it was designed for 27" in mind then, which is great, as it'll make it that much easier to get fenders to fit. I was worrying that I was trying to fit 27" wheels on a frame designed for 700c. My next wheelset for it will be 700c though
Old 01-25-05, 04:58 PM
jimhens714

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rykoala
That is interesting. Mine is equipped with 27" wheels because its what I had on hand, and what I could get. So it was designed for 27" in mind then, which is great, as it'll make it that much easier to get fenders to fit. I was worrying that I was trying to fit 27" wheels on a frame designed for 700c. My next wheelset for it will be 700c though
700C will fit provided you have brakes with 55 - 60mm of reach.

What are you using for a rear hub on your SS? I've got a redished wheel with an old freewheel hub and bmx freewheel. I want to eventually go to a flipflop fixed/free but want to stay with 36 hole drilling, decent bearings, and reasonably low cost.
Old 01-25-05, 05:32 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Suzue basic hub, which is low end. I've heard lots of bad things about them actually, but I'll ride it until it breaks or strips or whatever. Then I'll upgrade.
Old 01-25-05, 11:05 PM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Have made some minor changes (black 105 calipers, silver bottle cages) but otherwise it's the same.
Old 01-26-05, 08:04 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jimhens714
Do you remember where you bought it?
I think I got it at Walmart but I am sure you could get it at most any hardware store or maybe a sporting goods shop if you don't like Walmart (I know many here don't).
Old 01-26-05, 12:55 PM
MrEcke

Bikes: Setavento Ti Roadbike, Kona Jake The Snake CX, Surly Cross Check Fixed Commuter, Brompton folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my trusty Surly CrossCheck commuter/tourer.

Surly Cross-Check 60cm
FSA Orbit XL-II
Salsa Moto Ace stem
Salsa Pro Road bar
Pro seatpost
Fizik Pave CP saddle
105 tripple RD
105 tripple FD
Dura Ace bar-end shifters
Dia-Compe 287V brake levers
Deore V-Brakes
105 tripple crank
Deore LX 36h hubs
Mavic A719 36h rims
Schwalbe Marathon 700x30
Tubus rack
SKS fenders with mud-flap

I use this for my winter commutes if the roads are snow free. If there is snow I use my Cyclo Cross with Nokian studded tires.

Last edited by MrEcke; 01-26-05 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 09:34 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my winter commuter:

Motobecane Grand Touring 53cm
Suntour Cyclone Derailleurs w/ Barcons
Mafac Racer Brakes
Brooks B15
Matrix rims w/ Specialized sealed hubs

Old 01-27-05, 10:09 AM
rainedon

Bikes: A light one, a heavy one, a yellow one and a rusty one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nick burns
Here's my winter commuter:

Motobecane Grand Touring 53cm
Suntour Cyclone Derailleurs w/ Barcons
Mafac Racer Brakes
Brooks B15
Matrix rims w/ Specialized sealed hubs

That is a nice looking commuter. How much clearance do you have between those tires and your brakes?

nate
Old 01-27-05, 10:20 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rainedon
That is a nice looking commuter. How much clearance do you have between those tires and your brakes?
Thanks.

From the sidewall- 1/8"
From the tread- 1/4"

The frame came w/ 27" wheels, so the 700c wheels give a bit more clearance. The Mafac's provide a very good tire clearance, I have 37's on now & I could probably go up to 40. People rag on 'em but if you get rid of the crappy stock pads & cables, replace w/ Kool Stops they'll stop a truck.
Old 01-27-05, 10:21 AM
Uncle Phil

Bikes: Dawes galaxy (mostly)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, there's a lot of very new bikes in this forum, and lots of them are suspiciously clean...
Pardon my nasty suspicious nature!
Anyone have any pictures of their beloved old hack that they've used for years and never bother to clean 'cause it only gets mucky again? Or maybe no-one wants to take photos of those sorts of bikes!
Does anyone commute on a recumbent?
Old 01-27-05, 12:43 PM
mtessmer
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is my winter commuter, go into my "photo" album (at the bottom), look in "my bikes" and you'll see my summer and winter commuter.
Old 01-27-05, 12:47 PM
Evil_Gilligan
steel/campy/tubie Junkie

Bikes: Road: Custom Landshark w/Dedacciai Less-Than-Zero, Easton EC90 SLX, '04 Campy Chorus, Mavic reflex w/Tufo tubies, Deda Newton stem/bars, Thompson Elite and Aireone saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my rainbike (commuter) ... C'dale BadBoy Ultra with a few upgrades. Fenders, trusty NiteRider Digital pro12e, Thomson setback, Fizik Airone, LPComposites anatomic bar end, 2 Cussi Elite's. Chainrings are a bit small, looking to upgrade (larger) very soon. L O V E the brakes, and the fact that after a very wet and dirty commute I just park it and forget it (gotta love aluminum for that reason alone).
Old 01-27-05, 12:53 PM
jimhens714

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Phil
You know, there's a lot of very new bikes in this forum, and lots of them are suspiciously clean...
Pardon my nasty suspicious nature!
Anyone have any pictures of their beloved old hack that they've used for years and never bother to clean 'cause it only gets mucky again? Or maybe no-one wants to take photos of those sorts of bikes!
Does anyone commute on a recumbent?
Mine just recently got new rims/hubs/chain/bar wrap and does look pretty clean as it had a bath. I'll have to snap another photo later in the year when it's a bit more grungy.

I commute in the Sacramento CA area now so it takes a couple of weeks to get gunked up. When I lived in Vancouver WA it took a day or two and you couldn't even tell what color it was any more.
Old 01-27-05, 11:37 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here are my trusted steeds. The Kona is bomber steel for hauling a loaded Bob Trailer, fenders, and a nice bright Nightrider light. I'm outfitting her this weekend with a nice Blackburn expedition rack and Madden Panniers as the trailer is overkill for a daily commute, but the daily overloaded Bailey Bag is starting to kill. The Performance handlebar bag is Total Fred, but so far it's been bombproof and is one hand detachable. My other ride is simple and zoomy for days when I've already hauled in a full supply of work clothes.
Old 01-30-05, 03:14 AM
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my commuter.

I have clip-on mudguards for winter.
Old 02-17-05, 12:12 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I finally took some pics of my commuter bike. Pic 1 is the bike, Pic 2 is the headight setup I've got, Pic 3 is the taillights. I run the lower one on blink. The bright thing in the middle next to the lower blinkie is a reflector.
Old 02-17-05, 09:25 AM
nick burns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DogBoy
I finally took some pics of my commuter bike. Pic 1 is the bike, Pic 2 is the headight setup I've got, Pic 3 is the taillights. I run the lower one on blink. The bright thing in the middle next to the lower blinkie is a reflector.
Nice light setup!

What's up with those cranks? How do you pedal that?
Old 02-17-05, 10:20 AM
DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Each crank arm is independent. You have to use clipless pedals, and you must pull the crank arm up. Causes a screaming pain in your hip flexors after a short time in the saddle but rounds out your pedal stroke pretty well.
Old 02-17-05, 06:04 PM
Rogerinchrist

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Each crank arm is independent. You have to use clipless pedals, and you must pull the crank arm up. Causes a screaming pain in your hip flexors after a short time in the saddle but rounds out your pedal stroke pretty well.
Power-cranks?
Old 02-17-05, 06:57 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good lord, that's quite a lighting setup. Does search and rescue ever call on you for assistance?
Old 02-18-05, 11:01 AM
DogBoy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bostontrevor
Good lord, that's quite a lighting setup. Does search and rescue ever call on you for assistance?
Yep power-cranks. I use the lighting setup like this because of run-time in cold weather. I only run one at a time. I started with the NR Digital Evolution and tail-light with the planet-bike 3-LED blinky as a backup. The NR on 10W setting with the taillight usually got me about 1/2 mile from home before fizzling out (1.5 hrs) so I started looking for alternatives (spare battery, etc. etc.). Then my NR crapped out on me altogether and I had only the planet-bike light which doesn't cut it on a rural road with no streetlights on a dark misty night. NR took forever to respond to me, so I got the cygolite so I could keep riding. The cygolite has had no trouble keeping the candles lit for up to 2 hrs in 10-20F temps. When the NR finally returned, I just slapped it on there for when its raining/misty/foggy/snowy and I need extra illumination or for if/when the cygolite runs out of juice. In the rain a few days ago I was running both of them (NR on 10W) and my wife said she could see me from about a mile away. Not bad for a dark rainy night. I don't worry about not being seen. If I'd gotten the cygolite first I wouln't have gotten the NR.
Old 02-19-05, 09:55 PM
wangster
MADE IN TAIWAN

Bikes: Tarmac, Humble, Makino, Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my baby... got her at a flea market in the lower east side, got a super bargain for her and the ride is amazing. The brazed steel frame is heavy as s*@t but very smooth. I have to ride through fulton mall everyday to get to work, for those of you that live in NYC, you know that's a major bus route, but i take care and the bike is fast and smooth so i'm able to pass buses and avoid crazy NY bus drivers that aim for me. 65' schwinn supersport, radiant coppertone, all original weimann hardware, except for seat and seatpost. got qr collar so i can take my seat with me and qr skewers so i can lock up the tires with the frame. NYC theive take whatever they can get they're hands on. buying this bike originally for commuting but it was so great i got into cycling. I use this for commuting and going around town.
Old 02-20-05, 06:53 AM
stprdr
steel lugs

Bikes: williams custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just joined the list. i commute 4.5 miles each way. the yellow bike is for the nicer weather and the green bike is for snow and carrying heavy loads. i hope the pics come thru.
mike
Old 02-20-05, 06:56 AM
stprdr
steel lugs

Bikes: williams custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe now...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.