Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Double top tubes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Double top tubes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 11:09 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double top tubes

I'm looking for a not too expensive lugged steel frame to build into a "fast" commuter bike. I thought I narrowed it down to the Soma Stanyan, but I just saw they also have something called a san marcos that looks pretty nice too.

One thing I don't get is the double top tube on the larger sizes. Seems to be something Rivendell bikes does but plenty of other makers of larger frame sizes don't do this and even the Soma Stanyan doesn't. It says it's to "restore the triangulation lose with the tall top tube" but I don't see any loss of triangulation in other "tall" bikes. What are they talking about?

One a more general note, any thoughts on which of these would make a good commuter bike for 30 mile RT rides with just a rear rack and maybe 20lbs or less of "stuff" to haul? I will put on a drop bar and compact crank with probably an Apex 11-32 rear cassette. I will most likely get a 60cm (Stanyan) or 59cm (San Marcos). Geometry on the Stanyan seems more agressive with the short HT but not sure I care about that.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-11, 11:43 PM
lverhagen

Bikes: Swobo Folsom, Diamond Back Master TG, Mongoose Alta, Huffy Daisy Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your two choices are certainly very nice frames and they fit the bill of being both lugged steel and capable of commuting. I personally have no experience with either of those two frames, but I do have a fair amount of experience with older lugged frames that have proved quite suitable for commuting. I would personally suggest checking out the used options in your area, a great many deals are to be had out there on used road bikes of the lesser known or smaller makes that are nonetheless top-notch bikes when built up properly. My suggestion of seeking used bikes comes from my having been raised thrifty, my current status as a student, and my love for pre-owned things that have already developed a "personality" of their own. However, if you prefer more modern options I can offer little beyond Soma's and Rivendell's options. You may also consider looking into Velo Orange Rando frame which is also lugged steel and suitable for you needs. Good luck!

Cheers
lverhagen
Old 09-11-11, 11:52 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the San Marcos and the Stanyan. In particular, I love the lugged chromoly frames. The lugged crown of the Stanyan is absolutely an exquisite delight to behold. I can personally imagine the installation of chrome chain stay covers as well as possibly chrome-colored; handlebars, stem, crankset, and pedals.

- SOMA has really over done it with these beautiful frames!

PS.

I don't quite understand the double top tubes for the larger San Marcos frames though...Seems just a bit quaint!

Last edited by SlimRider; 09-11-11 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 12:58 AM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The headtube on the San Marco is 200+mm on the 59 and 63cm frames which are much longer than those on the Stanyan.

Maybe this helps a bit. The line beyond the head tube for the upper top tube is 2/7th the length of the upper top tube. Given the distance from the upper top tube to the down tube, the forward triangle is more like a trapezoid instead.

Old 09-12-11, 02:38 AM
NukeouT

Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From what I know, the extra tube is there to protect against frame flex (and sometimes break) for taller frames and riders.
Old 09-12-11, 02:56 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's an old fashioned solution to stiffening large frames back from when the only tubing was standard 1" diameter. It also allows a large frame to be built in a lugged fashion.
If you are looking for a particular style, its an OK solution. If you want the optimum design, it will have to be in welded, oversized tubing.
An oversized head-tube using a modern standard size will be stiffer and require less support in the large sizes.
Old 09-12-11, 05:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
I think they would have put in a double top tube on the smaller frames if it would have fit. It's just for style points
Old 09-12-11, 08:08 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's just a Rivendell thing. Personally, I don't care for it as it makes a large bike just that much heavier. The 60cm Stanyan doesn't have the double tube while the 59 San Marcos does. Maybe it's the really tall HT on the SM. I'm leaning toward the Stanyan mostly on look and price but that one has an overly short HT. Don't see why they can't do something in the more average range.

Originally Posted by MichaelW
It's an old fashioned solution to stiffening large frames back from when the only tubing was standard 1" diameter. It also allows a large frame to be built in a lugged fashion.
If you are looking for a particular style, its an OK solution. If you want the optimum design, it will have to be in welded, oversized tubing.
An oversized head-tube using a modern standard size will be stiffer and require less support in the large sizes.
I didn't know steel frame tubing came in larger sizes. I thought it was only aluminum that they could do the large oversized but thin walled tubes. Maybe it's just a weight thing. Oversized steel would probably be heavy.
Old 09-12-11, 09:04 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
yep, oversize makes a lot more sense
Old 09-12-11, 09:05 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's just a Rivendell thing. Personally, I don't care for it as it makes a large bike just that much heavier. The 60cm Stanyan doesn't have the double tube while the 59 San Marcos does. Maybe it's the really tall HT on the SM. I'm leaning toward the Stanyan mostly on look and price but that one has an overly short HT. Don't see why they can't do something in the more average range.

I didn't know steel frame tubing came in larger sizes. I thought it was only aluminum that they could do the large oversized but thin walled tubes. Maybe it's just a weight thing. Oversized steel would probably be heavy.
two tubes is heavier
Old 09-12-11, 12:15 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
two tubes is heavier
Which is what I would expect. This begs the question, though, is the Stanyan using oversized tubes or is it just a weaker frame because it uses 1" and no double tube? Head tube is 1 and 1/8" but don't about the rest of the frame. At 190 lbs plus gear, I don't want a bike that isn't up to the task (although most steel bikes can take a lot of abuse, I don't want to abuse my bike).
Old 09-12-11, 12:44 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate the way double top tubes look. I would prefer that they build the frame out of stronger material, or make the top tube of a greater circumference. Of course this is just my preference.
Old 09-12-11, 12:52 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of the look of double top tube frames either, but it's purpose is definitely to reduce frame flex, while maintaing the same tube diameter. This issue can be addressed other ways via larger diameter tubes or sloping top tubes. My guess is that some manufacturers utilize this method as a point of style, giving a nod to "old school" technique. The Pashley Guv'nor uses the same technique. For me, I'd try to make the smaller frame work and address the sizing issue with a longer seatpost (with setback if necessary) and a longer stem.
Old 09-12-11, 12:58 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...At 190 lbs plus gear, I don't want a bike that isn't up to the task (although most steel bikes can take a lot of abuse, I don't want to abuse my bike).
If you're not carrying 50lbs of cargo it's hard to imagine the double top tube being useful. It's not going to break, it will flex more. If 90% of the time you're carrying less than 20lbs, I'd go with the Stanyan.
Old 09-12-11, 05:07 PM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the perfect place to store a frame pump without it getting in the way of bottle cages or other gadgets. Just sayin'
Old 09-12-11, 05:46 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
It used to serve a function, but now it's really just a style thing. I have a Kilo OS, which is fun (mine's mostly not stock). If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't.

Old 09-12-11, 06:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Touring frame put 2 tubes side by side, took care of the rear rack-load flexing the top tube .. the 2 tubes .75" .o49 wall also functioned as chainstays and seatstays.

I see Trek has a single speed the 2 tubes are the seat-stays , then miter into the head tube

they gusset the seat tube, and add a bottle opener, in the back
My build, a collaboration, kept them parallel, passed by
attached to the side of the head tube then got gusseted there behind the head tube.
frame fit tire pump sits between the toptubes..
I cut down a 'church key" added it to the side of the left seat tube.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-12-11 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 09:40 PM
mikepwagner

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kojak
I'm not a big fan of the look of double top tube frames either, but it's purpose is definitely to reduce frame flex, while maintaing the same tube diameter. This issue can be addressed other ways via larger diameter tubes or sloping top tubes. My guess is that some manufacturers utilize this method as a point of style, giving a nod to "old school" technique. The Pashley Guv'nor uses the same technique. For me, I'd try to make the smaller frame work and address the sizing issue with a longer seatpost (with setback if necessary) and a longer stem.
I guess that I am the only one who thinks the double top tube looks much nicer than a single oversize tube. I think they look very cool.

Mike
Old 09-12-11, 09:40 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
If you're not carrying 50lbs of cargo it's hard to imagine the double top tube being useful. It's not going to break, it will flex more. If 90% of the time you're carrying less than 20lbs, I'd go with the Stanyan.
Kind of my thinking too. Just have some concerns about the short ht on the stanyan. Might try to find one to look at in person.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
My Touring frame put 2 tubes side by side, took care of the rear rack-load flexing the top tube .. the 2 tubes .75" .o49 wall also functioned as chainstays and seatstays.

I see Trek has a single speed the 2 tubes are the seat-stays , then miter into the head tube

they gusset the seat tube, and add a bottle opener, in the back
My build, a collaboration, kept them parallel, passed by
attached to the side of the head tube then got gusseted there behind the head tube.
frame fit tire pump sits between the toptubes..
I cut down a 'church key" added it to the side of the left seat tube.
You mean something like this?

Old 09-12-11, 09:44 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Kind of my thinking too. Just have some concerns about the short ht on the stanyan....
That's how a C&V frame goes, maybe the ES is a better choice?
Old 09-12-11, 10:13 PM
DrJim

Bikes: Soma Stanya Build, Trek build, Miyata 312, Miyata 710, Nashbar Toure MT, Giant hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of my thinking too. Just have some concerns about the short ht on the stanyan. Might try to find one to look at in person.
We discussed this head tube issue for the Stanyan on the C & V forum a little. There you will find pictures of my Stanyan build.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...el-Frame/page2

Personally I dislike the double top tube design. I think it's ugly.

The Soma Stanyan frame and fork is a beautiful piece of work if you like beautiful black paint and chrome lugs like I do. Judge for yourself from the photos. Regarding the short head tube, as I said in the thread, I don't see any problem functionally. Maybe an aesthetics argument could be made.
Old 09-12-11, 10:27 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrJim
We discussed this head tube issue for the Stanyan on the C & V forum a little. There you will find pictures of my Stanyan build.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...el-Frame/page2

Personally I dislike the double top tube design. I think it's ugly.

The Soma Stanyan frame and fork is a beautiful piece of work if you like beautiful black paint and chrome lugs like I do. Judge for yourself from the photos. Regarding the short head tube, as I said in the thread, I don't see any problem functionally. Maybe an aesthetics argument could be made.
Thanks for the tip. How tall are you? given that seat height on a 58 I could run without most of the spacers and be happy but I'm 6'3" and expect I'd have the seat higher. I'm thinking a 60 might be the better choice for me even though my caad is a 58.

I'd be curious to know some of the build specs too - especially brakes and headset.
Old 09-12-11, 10:48 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll toss this one in.

I use it for everything. from commuting, to touring. to last year's attempt at the Tour Divide.

Double Top Tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0836..jpg (102.9 KB, 41 views)
IMG_1172..jpg (90.9 KB, 31 views)
IMG_5895..jpg (90.1 KB, 31 views)
IMG_1084..jpg (99.9 KB, 29 views)
IMG_1990..jpg (57.9 KB, 35 views)
IMG_0185..jpg (74.2 KB, 27 views)
IMG_0335_2.jpg (78.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-13-11, 05:14 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...I'm 6'3" and expect I'd have the seat higher. I'm thinking a 60 might be the better choice for me even though my caad is a 58....
Seat tube length isn't my critical dimension, I am more interested in effective top tube length, reach and stack. At 6"-3", a 58cm frame with level top tube might be too short on the stack and reach. What is the ett length of your caad? What is the seat tube angle compared of your CAD? Is the top tube level on a caad?
Old 09-13-11, 05:40 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AsanaCycles
I'll toss this one in.

I use it for everything. from commuting, to touring. to last year's attempt at the Tour Divide.

Double Top Tubes.
Hey there AsanaCycles,

I generally don't think of Cruisers as Double Top Tubes, but they are! They really are!!!

That's interesting how I've never quite viewed them in the same manner, before.

However, actually the typical Cruiser, is the original Double-Top-Tube.

Ha!... It's really the progenitor of the San Marcos!

Thank you for this!

- Slim

PS.

Funny, I've always liked the Cruiser-type bicycles!

However, the larger Double-Top-Tubes, like the San Marcos appear to be rather odd-looking...

Last edited by SlimRider; 09-13-11 at 05:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.