Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

So during the commute...why is the wind always in my face?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 06:00 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wind here has been moving around with a coming front. Yesterday morning, out of the NE at 5, on the way home, out of the SSE at 10, this morning out of the NW at 5-6. I go north in the mornings and south in the evenings. Any time I commute, it seems that I'm fighting a head wind!!!!! I could use a break, especially on the last day of my very first commuting week.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee FL
Old 01-13-12, 06:15 AM
BHOFM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Murphys weather!
Old 01-13-12, 06:37 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could it be due to Karma?

Just think of all those ruined virgins.....
Old 01-13-12, 06:40 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
It's your name "Tractor Tom". We who are Tractors get special treatment from the wind -
Old 01-13-12, 06:57 AM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did have a commute like that. It seemed the prevailing conditions in the morning were just opposite to those in the afternoon. But it was only 6 miles and I thought I could use the extra exercise. It might even have been a benefit, so I didn't mind at all.
Old 01-13-12, 06:59 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Could it be due to Karma?

Just think of all those ruined virgins.....
Man! That one had me laughing out loud!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
Old 01-13-12, 08:17 AM
FKMTB07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here, the winds are usually out of the north in the morning and out of the south in the afternoon. I commute North in the morning and south in the evening. I usually have a headwind in both directions. It's maddening.
Old 01-13-12, 08:21 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the same issue. A friend of mine told me to make yourself small and areo dynamic.

UUUMMMM..... have you SEEN me? I am a fat. There is no "amking this body areo dynamic". I worked long and hard on this body!
Old 01-13-12, 08:29 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Tom, in your case it could be land breeze/sea breeze.

Here on the North Coast of America (the south shore of Lake Ontario) we get breezes from the land to the lake in the morning, and from the lake to the land in the afternoon. This is due to the temperature differences between the water and the land. All coastal areas experience something similar.

I used to commute inland, into the land breeze, in the morning, and to the lake, into the sea breeze, in the afternoon. Now my commute is east/west.

The other thing I read somewhere, is that cyclists experience winds from only 45° on either side of the rear wheel as tailwinds. The other 270° we experience as headwinds.
Old 01-13-12, 08:32 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
God... I hope I have a tail wind on the way home. 40 mph wind for today.
Old 01-13-12, 09:43 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
The other thing I read somewhere, is that cyclists experience winds from only 45° on either side of the rear wheel as tailwinds. The other 270° we experience as headwinds.
This is true. A crosswind often feels like a headwind, so unless you have a true tailwind or close too it, you will be fighting the wind. Also true about sea breezes if you live near the coast or a large body of water.

On the other hand, it is very common around here for winds to shift nearly 180 degrees during long rides. I can't tell you how many times I have set out on an out-and-back metric century riding into the wind thinking I would have a tailwind on the return leg, only to have the wind shift into my face on the way back. Winds are also very variable around here due to forests and topography. The wind doesn't consistently blow out of one direction like I assume it does in areas with flat terrain and few trees. Instead, it tends to follow contours in the landscape, goes around forests, etc. I figured this out while kayaking on local lakes where you can actually observe the wind "flowing" around the landscape by watching the waves; the wind is almost like water in a way.
Old 01-13-12, 09:49 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, you wuss! I live by a bay and it's always windy. 20 - 30 mph is nothing special.

(But yes, it does suck.. especially those days it seems to work against you both ways).
Old 01-13-12, 11:05 AM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its just one of those Laws of Cycling. No matter which way you are riding, the wind will always be in your face.
Old 01-13-12, 11:23 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pityr
Its just one of those Laws of Cycling. No matter which way you are riding, the wind will always be in your face.
It's true. It's one of those bike commuting secrets that doesn't get put into the colorful brochure.

I'm not a religious man but the serenity prayer does come in handy when you are struggling to go 4 mph into a 40 mph headwind. That and yelling obscenities to yourself.
Old 01-13-12, 11:35 AM
Bikehead
The good looking one

Bikes: gary fisher, Schwinn Woodland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just HTFU,and ride. At lease your not riding in temps. in the 20's and teens'
with wind chills below zero. Be thankful of the place you live.
Old 01-13-12, 11:35 AM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Also, the fact that you're moving forward and constantly changing direction means almost any wind will feel like a headwind.
Old 01-13-12, 11:38 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pityr

It's also the law of physics.

As soon as you start pedaling you are now creating a headwind. If the air is still and you are riding 15 mph you have wind resistance that you did not have while not in motion. So, naturally, most of the time it will feel like you have a headwind because it is rare that the tailwind will be strong enough and directly behind you enough to give you an advantage over the wind resistance you have created by being in motion.

Think of it like a clock. You are riding in the direction of 12 o'clock. The wind would have to be somewhere between 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock to provide any perceivable advantage and of sufficient strength for you to feel it. The smaller percentage of times when the wind is truly advantageous is a reality.

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the wind isn't out to get you.
Old 01-13-12, 01:31 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
It's also the law of physics.

As soon as you start pedaling you are now creating a headwind. If the air is still and you are riding 15 mph you have wind resistance that you did not have while not in motion. So, naturally, most of the time it will feel like you have a headwind because it is rare that the tailwind will be strong enough and directly behind you enough to give you an advantage over the wind resistance you have created by being in motion.

Think of it like a clock. You are riding in the direction of 12 o'clock. The wind would have to be somewhere between 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock to provide any perceivable advantage and of sufficient strength for you to feel it. The smaller percentage of times when the wind is truly advantageous is a reality.

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the wind isn't out to get you.
And here I thought the gods were just ****ing with me Guess I don't need to do my wind dance anymore.
Old 01-13-12, 02:26 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tractortom
Wind here has been moving around with a coming front. Yesterday morning, out of the NE at 5, on the way home, out of the SSE at 10, this morning out of the NW at 5-6. I go north in the mornings and south in the evenings. Any time I commute, it seems that I'm fighting a head wind!!!!! I could use a break, especially on the last day of my very first commuting week.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee FL
Sell your house and move to a place on the other side of work, same distance door to door. Problem solved.
Old 01-13-12, 02:53 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
You experience apparent wind, which is a combination of the true wind and the wind generated by your movement. It is affected by the speed of each component wind and direction of the true wind relative to the direction of wind you generate (which is coming from straight ahead while riding).

https://www.sailingusa.info/true_wind_calculator.htm
Old 01-13-12, 04:11 PM
Hydrate
2 Wheels > 4

Bikes: Just one more

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I say on the way home ride past your house about 10 miles then turn around and enjoy the ride home with the wind at your back
Old 01-13-12, 05:26 PM
quazimodo

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2, Trek 7600 Multitrack, Trek Soho DLX, GT Ruckus DX, Pashley Speed-5 (soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too funny, it seems to be a Florida thing (on shore and off shore flow). I get the same thing everyday in Fort Lauderdale. I repeat to myself, that which doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger (Nietzsche)
Old 01-13-12, 09:40 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's only fair that Floridians get headwinds, since they never see hills.....
Old 01-14-12, 08:40 AM
paperbackbiker

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick and easy solution: move to where you work and work where you live! Then, as the Irish love to say, "may the road rise to meet you and the wind be at you back."
Old 01-14-12, 09:07 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sauerwald
It's only fair that Floridians get headwinds, since they never see hills.....
There ARE hills in Florida, just not in the part of Florida where I live. Go up around Orlando and parts north and there is lots of rolling hills....
Where I live, the closest we come to a hill is climbing the bridge over the river in Moore Haven...

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.