Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on a Road Bike!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-11-14, 09:31 PM
axlr0se

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm a bike newbie with practically zilch know-how about bikes. I just am looking to buy an entry level road bike for under 400 USD. I'm looking for recommendations which can help me decide what bike I should buy. I have looked at these two bikes as of now and both seem good to me! Please let me know what you think and which one should I buy out of these!

Save Up to 60% Off Steel Road Bikes - Motobecane Super Mirage
Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes, Roadbikes - Mercier Galaxy AL

Thanks!
Old 05-11-14, 09:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
How do you know your size?

Old 05-11-14, 09:43 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not aware of my size either. However, I assumed that my size would not have much to do with the bike that I'm buying! I can go to a local shop later and then just order the bike that I decide on in my size. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you!

Last edited by axlr0se; 05-11-14 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 09:47 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by axlr0se
Ah, as I said, I'm not aware of my size either. However, I assumed that my size would not have much to do with the bike that I'm buying! Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you!
Like shoes...they need to fit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bikefit.jpg (103.6 KB, 16 views)

Old 05-11-14, 09:49 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Like shoes...they need to fit.

I'm quite aware of that. My point was that I can decide on the bike model that I should buy and then just go to a local dealer to check my size out and then order it.
Old 05-11-14, 09:50 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Visit some local bike shops to figure out your size...Then ask them how much they will charge to assemble the BD bike when it arrives.

Old 05-11-14, 09:51 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
It's frowned upon to use a local dealer for such a thing.. If they give you a service (like fitting you for a bike) then you should buy the bike from them..

You don't have to as it's no law but.............................
Old 05-11-14, 09:52 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Visit some local bike shops to figure out your size...Then ask them how much they will charge to assemble the BD bike when it arrives.
I study in a university. I can pay students to assemble my bike for me for way cheaper. I just need to know which bike to buy.
Old 05-11-14, 09:56 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
It's frowned upon to use a local dealer for such a thing.. If they give you a service (like fitting you for a bike) then you should buy the bike from them..

You don't have to as it's no law but.............................
I understand that! How else am I to know my size though? Also, to come to think about it, I'd be getting my bike tuned and serviced from that shop. So, it's not that much of bad karma.
Old 05-11-14, 10:01 PM
raqball

If you have a really good bike shop then just go in and talk to them.. Chances are they might be able to match the online price with something from their inventory. Maybe they have last years model they can heavily discount. Some bike shops sell used bike and maybe they have a mint condition bike that fits you..

If not, explain your plan in advance and be honest with them. They might charge you for a fit or they might just do a quick and easy one for free..
Old 05-11-14, 10:04 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a really good bike shop then just go in and talk to them.. Chances are they might be able to match the online price with something from their inventory. Maybe they have last years model they can heavily discount. Some bike shops sell used bike and maybe they have a mint condition bike that fits you..

If not, explain your plan in advance and be honest with them. They might charge you for a fit or they might just do a quick and easy one for free..
Hm, that does sound fine. To be honest, I don't mind paying if they fit me really well. However, the bike shops, from what I feel, are not really good ones and I've heard they're overpriced. So, I was just looking at ordering something online. Do you have any recommendations? Or what do you feel about the two bikes that I linked?
Old 05-11-14, 10:09 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
no way to know your size 100% without getting a fit. The best that can be done is a ballpark idea based on measurements. How tall are you? Do you have long legs and a short torso? Long arms?
Old 05-11-14, 10:10 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
no way to know your size 100% without getting a fit. The best that can be done is a ballpark idea based on measurements. How tall are you? Do you have long legs and a short torso? Long arms?
I'm 5'11. I'm fairly normal. I have normal arms, legs and torso. I can try get a measurement done tomorrow. Is it that essential to get a measurement done and know the size of bike that you want before I decide which bike I want to buy?
Old 05-11-14, 10:26 PM
raqball

Is it that essential to get a measurement done and know the size of bike that you want
Yes.... Very, very, very important..
Old 05-11-14, 10:33 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.... Very, very, very important..
I was oblivious to that! I'll try and get a fit done tomorrow and update this thread! Thanks for your help.
Old 05-12-14, 12:17 AM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that! How else am I to know my size though? Also, to come to think about it, I'd be getting my bike tuned and serviced from that shop. So, it's not that much of bad karma.
if you're not able to size, assemble and service it yourself, all the more reason to buy from a local bike shop. I understand price is an issue, but you also need to factor in that many LBS's also include free servicing for a couple years when you buy from them. Conversely, don't be surprised if they're less willing to help or you end up paying more than you might need to if you use them for advice and sizing, then buy online.
Old 05-12-14, 02:21 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One LBS may conduct the "fit" process, differently from another. One bike shop may charge a hundred bucks for a "fit", while another charges fifty. Another LBS may not charge for fitting at all, provided that you purchase from them. I've seen many bike shops that have absolutely no clue as to what a professional fitting actually entails.

I think your best bet would be to purchase thru www.performancebike.com. This way, your order will be placed online, you can confer with customer service about the correct size bike for your physical dimensions. The bike will then be shipped to the nearest brick & mortar Performance bike shop, where you then will pick it up. If after your test ride, you find that it doesn't "fit", you can refuse delivery and order the correct size bike at that point, without being charged a "return shipping fee", like you would most likely be charged with Bikesdirect or Nashbar.

* Most universities are bicycle theft magnets. If I were you, and I didn't have any hellacious hills to climb, I'd just settle for an inexpensive single speed to cut my losses. Performance has single speeds for $300.

Get a single speed, NOT a fixie! Buy it, spray paint it to make it look like yours only, and own it!
Make certain that you get a large U-Lock for security.

Last edited by WestPablo; 05-12-14 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-12-14, 12:31 PM
vstkrc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're 5'11", you can be fairly certain that you will need a 56 or 58 cm frame. Of course, frame can be somewhat different across makes, so it's hard to know for certain. Top tube length is ultimately more important and fortunately BD offers measurements for all of their bikes.

If you have time, read this.

As for the models, I personally like the look of the Super Mirage more though the componentry isn't too different in quality. Also, the Super Mirage comes with cross top levers, which is a difference worth noting. Whether you actually want them or not is down to preference.
Old 05-12-14, 04:14 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
beyond your size, you'll want to figure out how you plan to ride and how flexible you are.

For instance, if you're 29 years old and reasonably flexible, the Mirage model with it's horizontal top-tube will be okay as you will be fine with the more leaned-over positioning (note the relationship of the height of the bars to the seat.) If, however, you're in your late 40s and not very flexible and/or are planning to go very long distances, you might be more comfortable with the sloping top-tube of the Galaxy model. Both have their plusses and minuses.
Old 05-14-14, 04:37 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I went through some bikes at some local shops and used a few bike size calculators online and I concluded that a 54cm would fit me well. I'm a 25 year old athletic man.

Assuming the above information, do you guys have any recommendations for road bikes under 500$?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-14, 05:22 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm 5'11 and I fit a 54cm road bike nicely. A lot of people 5'11 fit a 58cm. If I road a 58 it would be wayyyy too big for me. There is not one size fits all bike
Old 05-14-14, 06:36 PM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
support your local business...
Old 05-14-14, 08:38 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calgarc
support your local business...
To be honest, I really don't know why I should pay 800$ for a bike when I can get a better one for 400. Bike shops here are grossly overpriced. That's the only reason I'm looking for suggestions on here.
Old 05-14-14, 09:42 PM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
its an econmy thing. i go to local shops for everything from musical gear to bikes to food. i get treated like a human not a username/numver I just prefer the service. also i am sure you can find great bikes at various LBS for 400 bucks.
Old 05-14-14, 11:55 PM
axlr0se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calgarc
its an econmy thing. i go to local shops for everything from musical gear to bikes to food. i get treated like a human not a username/numver I just prefer the service. also i am sure you can find great bikes at various LBS for 400 bucks.
I just came back from a dealer today and there wasn't even a single half-decent road bike for 400$. All I'd have got was single speed steel frame bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.