Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

top tube bike bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 03:25 PM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
top tube bike bag

What is your favorite top tube bike bag, if you use one? I'm going to be in the saddle for 10+ hours (140 mile road/dirt combo) and I want to bring along my own tortilla wrap sandwiches (about 5 of them) plus a bunch of fig newtons or similar. I've been using a cheap handlebar bag for training rides and would prefer the weight to be off my handlebars.
Old 03-10-15, 03:27 PM
RR3
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
What is your favorite top tube bike bag, if you use one? I'm going to be in the saddle for 10+ hours (140 mile road/dirt combo) and I want to bring along my own tortilla wrap sandwiches (about 5 of them) plus a bunch of fig newtons or similar. I've been using a cheap handlebar bag for training rides and would prefer the weight to be off my handlebars.
Revelate Gas tank and ECOGear are my two favorites but no way 5 burritos will fit.
Old 03-10-15, 03:48 PM
BNB

they're pretty skinny burritos - just a little cream cheese and turkey rolled up. thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by RR3
Revelate Gas tank and ECOGear are my two favorites but no way 5 burritos will fit.
Old 03-10-15, 04:26 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
When I tried using a top tube bag my knees kept hitting it when riding out of the saddle and I had to stop using it.

My advice is to mock something up (can be fake; not an actual bag) and see if you can live with an object there.
Old 03-10-15, 05:27 PM
BNB

Good idea 'cause knees hitting the bag will make me crazy ... Looks like REI has the Revelate Gas Tank and their return policy is great so might try that.

Any other suggestions on other bike bags would be appreciated. I really don't want to go the handlebar route. Could consider a bigger rear seat bag but don't want too big. That's way less convenient for food. This is a timed event so panniers and stuff won't really work for speed.

Originally Posted by Steamer
When I tried using a top tube bag my knees kept hitting it when riding out of the saddle and I had to stop using it.

My advice is to mock something up (can be fake; not an actual bag) and see if you can live with an object there.
Old 03-10-15, 07:03 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i've used the Jandd for a number of tours. it's made for frames made with round tubes. i've got the one that goes under the toptube.

here's one that goes above the toptube.

and here's one that goes under the toptube.
Old 03-11-15, 11:51 AM
winethinker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
I just bought the EOGear to ride the Solvang Double. Very good workmanship but not really big enough. Have a look at Ibera or Topeak top bags if you want up to about 1L.

I don't spend a lot of time out of the saddle so don't worry about hitting my legs but the EOGear doesn't hit them.
Old 03-11-15, 12:17 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Revelate gas tank (add a jerry can if you want, and or add a Tangle bag or full frame bag.

Gas Tank, Jerry Can (at seat post) and full frame bag...
revelate bags by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Tangle:
Revelate Tangle on the IF. by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Last edited by bmike; 03-11-15 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-11-15, 03:19 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I've tried many top tube bags. Some were not stable/rigid enough and so didn't stay in place well. Others were a bit too wide and so caused knee interference when standing on the pedals (e.g., a Porcelain Rocket model). My favourite, that ticks all the boxes for me is the Topeak Fuel Tank, Large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fueltank_l_mnt.jpg (20.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-11-15, 09:23 PM
oxymoroncyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since my bike frame is pretty tiny (to fit it's small passenger), I'm not a fan of top tube bags that dangle below the tube. They restrict me from reaching for my bidons. I use one similar to the topeak tri dribag which double up to carry my power bank on long brevets.
Old 03-12-15, 05:09 PM
BNB

I just ordered the Topeak. REI has both the Revelate ($55) and the Topeak (on sale $21.73 - the website says $29.73 but I was charged $21.73 ??). The Topeak is a medium but it might work. The medium is ~7" long; the Revelate is ~9".

Originally Posted by Chris_W
I've tried many top tube bags. Some were not stable/rigid enough and so didn't stay in place well. Others were a bit too wide and so caused knee interference when standing on the pedals (e.g., a Porcelain Rocket model). My favourite, that ticks all the boxes for me is the Topeak Fuel Tank, Large.
Old 03-12-15, 06:49 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not the best pic but I had this bag custom made by Tupper Becker (Becker Bike bags and custom gear!) and really love it. My knees will occasionally brush the bag but I got used to that very quickly. I really like how I can carry a ton of food that is very easy to reach, it is not quite big enough for clothing other than arm warmers but it does exactly what I wanted.

Old 03-12-15, 09:46 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
Eleven81 tri bag. You can face it to the stem or seatpost, or double them up I guess. I like how narrow and easy access they are,Eleven81 Frame Top Triangle Bag Black Bikewagon,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Univega 1.JPG (67.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 03-17-15, 06:01 PM
BNB

Topeak medium is definitely too small. large is on order. nice construction, though, and medium would be perfect for phone, wallet and snacks - just not space for food for an all day ride.

Originally Posted by BNB
I just ordered the Topeak. REI has both the Revelate ($55) and the Topeak (on sale $21.73 - the website says $29.73 but I was charged $21.73 ??). The Topeak is a medium but it might work. The medium is ~7" long; the Revelate is ~9".
Old 03-18-15, 09:24 AM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Revelate bags are nice. Good for the guy having REI sell them, though I suppose he isn't stitching every single one personally. I bought mine ~8 years ago and had to wait weeks to get them.

The Gas Tank is as narrow as my steel top tube, and as a result doesn't hold a whole lot. OTOH, I've had no leg interference with it. I like it a lot, it's just limited on space.

The Tangle bag makes my water bottles (on a 58mm frame) too much of a PITA to use. My generation of the bag also doesn't have any support on the sides to keep it thin (and don't know if the design changed), and depending what's put in it can balloon out and be far worse than a too large top tube bag.
Old 03-19-15, 01:12 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Vaude Cruiser, but I haven't tested it out yet. I know it fits a shirt and a pair of shorts, but I'm not sure if it will hit my legs. I might give it a test later this week.

I do know that it interferes with my 2nd water bottle, but I have one of those ugly small frames with a sloping top tube.
Old 03-20-15, 04:55 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
One of the issues I have found in puddling around with these tri-type bags is that if you don't sufficient "stack height" with spacers under the stem, you might have issues keeping the bag straight because the strap doesn't really work that well.

Honestly, I am not quite sure that the issue is with a handlebar bag that is properly attached and supported. My favourite has been the older, now defunct MEC bar bag, then the Ortleib which was acquired with the Bike Friday. Topeak also made a modular one, the Dynapak that is quite small, but I like it a lot; unfortunately, Topeak doesn't seem to list it on its website anymore.