Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Great Touring Camera System - Micro 4/3

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 08:46 PM
pathlesspedaled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all..I've been in the process of switching to a lighter and smaller camera kit for touring. I shoot stills and video so would like a camera that could possibly do both. I've been experimenting with the Olympus PEN cameras and micro 4/3 system and have so far been pretty please. I just put up a video reviewing some of the cameras here:

https://pathlesspedaled.com/2011/10/v...s-ep3-vs-epm1/
https://pathlesspedaled.com/2011/10/p...tem-for-video/

Some sample photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/russroc...7627912576198/

Best,
Russ
Old 10-24-11, 10:15 PM
pathlesspedaled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some video shot with the PENs!

Russ
www.pathlesspedaled.com
Old 10-25-11, 01:24 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
G'day

Timely post. There has been a discussion at the Australian Cycling Forums on cameras used when touring. Seems a bit of support there for the Panasonic Lumix LX3 or LX5.

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by Aushiker; 10-25-11 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-25-11, 02:34 AM
pathlesspedaled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LX3 is a fine camera! If you look back in our archives (www.pathlesspedaled.com), I've shot many a photo with it. It has a great wide angle and is very light weight. Ultimately, I wanted something that was a little quicker focusing and shooting and could handle low light better. While the EP3 and EPM1 and other micro 4/3 cameras aren't perfect, they come in pretty close and are reasonably priced!

Originally Posted by Aushiker
G'day

Timely post. There has been a discussion at the Australian Cycling Forums on cameras used when touring. Seems a bit of support there for the Panasonic Lumix LX3 or LX5.

Regards
Andrew
Old 10-25-11, 02:44 AM
12bar

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new Nikon 1 looks promising also.
Old 10-25-11, 04:07 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Travel cameras are a hard balance to strike between size/weight, usability/features, and image quality. Think micro 4/3 is probably the optimum balance available right now.
The premium compacts such as Panasonic LX, Canon G12 are limited by their sensor noise. The Ricoh GXR is a serious contender.
I think the Nikon 1 has missed the mark. It has potential but is really a point and shoot rather than a photographic tool. It seems like a digital version of the Pentax 110. Now if they put that 1" sensor and technology in a handy bridge camera with a wideangle zoom lens, it could make a great all round useful tool.
Old 10-25-11, 04:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I really like the Olympus Pen 4/3 models. I have been delighted with mine.

BTW: The Nikon Coolpix P7000 is a very nice camera for that kind of usage as well.
Old 10-25-11, 05:35 AM
rjl33

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Panasonic GF1 with the 14-42mm and 20mm lenses and have been very happy with it. Another new camera possibility is the Fuji X10-small, nice lens, optical viewfinder. I am looking at the upcoming Sony NEX 7 as a fairly compact travel camera with very good image quality and lens choices. www.randylarsonphotography.com
Old 10-25-11, 08:30 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I can see why a professional photographer or serious amateur might want these dedicated cameras, but for basic documentation of a trip and even video I've been amazed at how well the iphone4 does. The optics are basic, but good enough for the 99% ;0 and now that there's some zoom and flash capability the worst problems of the previous iPhones are gone. Electronics can add up to a lot of weight so I've gone away from netbooks and carry the following electronics

iPhone4, cable, ear buds
iPhone4 wall plug
Hyperjuice mini and cable
small AM/FM radio (use for NPR if out of wifi/3G range)

This all weighs just under 1.5lbs and I find I can do everything I need to do, like email, photos, blogging, radio, music, audiobooks etc. Of course if you want to professionally publish your media from the road you'll need a laptop and a real camera, but most tourists don't really need the extra capabilities, image quality and weight.

Storage might be an issue for long trips, but the new i-flashdrives solve that and there's the i-Cloud, although that's giving up too much control for me, and the hyperjuice mini external battery will recharge the iPhone 5 times. I used the no-no orientation on this video and it wobbles a bit as it's hand held.

Last edited by nun; 10-25-11 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-25-11, 09:10 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leica M1
Old 10-25-11, 09:21 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I can see why a professional photographer or serious amateur might want these dedicated cameras, but for basic documentation of a trip and even video I've been amazed at how well the iphone4 does. The optics are basic, but good enough for the 99% ;0 and now that there's some zoom and flash capability the worst problems of the previous iPhones are gone.
Actually the worst problem of the iPhone, the difficulty of composing and focusing a shot with direct sunlight shining on the screen, is still present in the iPhone 4 and 4S. They're certainly better than nothing, but I'd pick my Panasonic GF1 (with the LVF1 view-finder) and 20mm/f1.7 lens over my iPhone 4 any day of the week...
Old 10-25-11, 09:29 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
Leica M1
too trendy
Old 10-25-11, 09:38 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by sstorkel
Actually the worst problem of the iPhone, the difficulty of composing and focusing a shot with direct sunlight shining on the screen, is still present in the iPhone 4 and 4S. They're certainly better than nothing, but I'd pick my Panasonic GF1 (with the LVF1 view-finder) and 20mm/f1.7 lens over my iPhone 4 any day of the week...
I agree, i usually set stuff up as much as possible and then use a spare hand to shade the screen. It works ok. The iPhone will never come close to a dedicated camera, but for most tourists it's good enough and the utility of having everything in one place is nice. The convenience of being able to take a video and immediately upload to youtube or to a wordpress blog is great. Of course you can do that with some cameras now, but I like the integration of the iPhone solution.

Last edited by nun; 10-25-11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-25-11, 10:23 AM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These micro 4/3s cameras are awesome. I carried a Lumix GF1 with the 20mm prime lens for me recent trip through South America. It worked out great. You can see the photos on my blog (https://www.awesomebiketour.com).

That being said I'm with nun, next time I'm just bringing my iphone 4. The convenience factor is just too high. Plus I didn't love having to worry about a nice camera being stolen my whole trip. I've been using my iphone as my go-to point and shoot lately, since it's always in my pocket. It's great, because it allows me to be spontaneous with photo taking.

If you want to have a great looking blog, definitely go with a micro 4/3 camera.
Old 10-25-11, 12:02 PM
Tom Spohn

Bikes: Spec. Roubaix, Cannondale RT2, BF NWT, BF tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a fan of the shockproof/waterproof cameras, my favorite being the Panasonic ts series. I carry it skiing, mountain biking, river rafting, etc. and it has never missed a beat.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311...pactgrouptest/
Old 10-25-11, 12:10 PM
nun

Originally Posted by pasopia
These micro 4/3s cameras are awesome. I carried a Lumix GF1 with the 20mm prime lens for me recent trip through South America. It worked out great. You can see the photos on my blog (https://www.awesomebiketour.com).

That being said I'm with nun, next time I'm just bringing my iphone 4. The convenience factor is just too high. Plus I didn't love having to worry about a nice camera being stolen my whole trip. I've been using my iphone as my go-to point and shoot lately, since it's always in my pocket. It's great, because it allows me to be spontaneous with photo taking.

If you want to have a great looking blog, definitely go with a micro 4/3 camera.
Nice looking blog, the camera takes great pictures. Here's my blog with some iPhone photos from Iceland. The quality of the pictures isn't as good, but it's probably 50% the iPhone and 50% my lack of skill. Still it's a perfectly acceptable way to document a trip and with some skill I'm sure the pictures would be better.

https://wheelsofchance.org/
Old 10-25-11, 01:49 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll check out the Iceland blog, I'd love to ride there at some point.

The iphone is no 4/3 slr, but you can get some good results if you are careful. It also helps to have an app like camera+ to edit the photo. I love that you can do a bit off image editing in the phone and immediately upload it. Here's a photo I took on the way on the manhattan bridge with my iphone.

Old 10-26-11, 04:55 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Olympus Pen and just bought a Nikon P7000. I think my touring camera is going to be the Nikon. I can use my Cactus wireless flash trigger for off camera flash as well as a wireless shutter release. (Granted I can use the Cactus on the Pen.) I also carry my iPhone 4 with me but I want more control over ISO, white balance, shooting modes, etc. Would not depend on the iPhone for my only camera.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I really like the Olympus Pen 4/3 models. I have been delighted with mine.

BTW: The Nikon Coolpix P7000 is a very nice camera for that kind of usage as well.
Old 10-26-11, 10:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
A lot of the newer cameras are great, it is hard to find a bad one out there. I prefer a very wide zoom range so that I can take good wildlife photos and also do landscape. This link to some camera reviews is a year old, thus the cameras reviewed are that old too. But, it gives you an idea of what I am talking about, I got the Pentax X90. A few examples from that camera - uncroped and no post processing, the only change to these photos was that I resized them to smaller electronic size.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/

Not very artistic, this photo is mainly to show the capability of the camera.

Outstanding lighting, Isle Royale

This bird was sitting in a window in an old castle in Czech Republic, I was inside the castle shooting out the window so the lighting is not very good for the shot.

Sunset in Boundary Waters Canoe Area, northern Minnesota.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
reIMGP0597.jpg (88.4 KB, 7 views)
reIMGP0747.jpg (94.3 KB, 13 views)
reIMGP1508.jpg (81.2 KB, 10 views)
reIMGP2364.jpg (90.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-26-11, 04:58 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been considering cameras like this one,

https://www.samsung.com/us/photograph...EV-NX200ZBABUS

and the Sony NEX-7.

Last edited by Niles H.; 10-27-11 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 09:24 PM
pathlesspedaled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up this tripod today. Great. Small and lightweight. Not the tallest when extended but I think it will do for a lot of shots!

https://youtu.be/X5-OkEN9hEY
Old 10-27-11, 11:53 AM
nun

Originally Posted by pasopia
Thanks! I'll check out the Iceland blog, I'd love to ride there at some point.

The iphone is no 4/3 slr, but you can get some good results if you are careful. It also helps to have an app like camera+ to edit the photo. I love that you can do a bit off image editing in the phone and immediately upload it. Here's a photo I took on the way on the manhattan bridge with my iphone.
Iceland was a rough few weeks for me, the weather was awful. Here's a video of typical weather, I was riding into the wind!

NPR had a short piece about smartphones vs dedicated cameras. The conclusion was that smartphones are good enough for day to day snaps and win out for sharing applications and that cameras are still best for those holiday pictures you want to keep, but smartphones are getting better and better. As I emphasize gear weight reduction the iPhone is perfect as it combines so many functions into a single device and I'll accept the camera's limitations.

Last edited by nun; 10-27-11 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 12:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Smartphone camera functions are probably adequate now.
Old 10-27-11, 01:24 PM
campylover

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse SL with Campy Record 10sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a new camera with a price range of $250 to $300 . Like to hear some opinions of owners.
Old 10-27-11, 01:34 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by campylover
Looking for a new camera with a price range of $250 to $300 . Like to hear some opinions of owners.
This is a little outside your price range, but it is a very nice camera:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EC-TL5...9743935&sr=8-1

I've seen the price go down at times to about 330.00.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.