Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike daytime headlight comments, please

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 07:42 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts

I've always been somewhat against bright daytime bike headlights on the basis oncoming traffic risks were minimal but those lights may distract motorists. I've come to learn oncoming traffic risks were greater than I envisioned. So, now I'm looking to get a front light and wondering about features, such as:
  • Brightness - How many lumens are sufficient for daytime use but wouldn't needlessly distract oncoming motorists?
  • How many - I've seen lights in singles or doubles but are two any better than one?
  • Colors - I'm considering using a rear-type light in the front so I can set it to blue. Is color a good feature given that I do my biking during the day and don't need a nighttime light?
  • Other features - Beyond being rechargeable, what other features are important?
Old 09-30-17, 09:10 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Using the LED equivalent to the old halogen MR16, got two of them, with a cheap automobile fog light between them .
IMG_4060 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr
Old 09-30-17, 09:17 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Sometimes I turn off the one on the right. Battery Box is mid-frame, on the bottle-cage bosses:
IMG_6122 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

I always have the lights on daytime and nighttime .

IMG_3183 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr
Old 09-30-17, 09:37 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I have used blinking light during the days for years after I saw I guy I hadn't noticed wait for me to pass before opening his door into the lane I was riding in. Currently I used a Magicshine on the handlebars and the Vis 360 on the helmet blinking during the day. The helmet light helps keep people from getting too close during turns like it does at night, and has a blinking red light in the rear.
Old 09-30-17, 08:01 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I use a 3 led rechargeable light mounted on the handlebars, less than $10 on Ebay. I use white as blue is reserved for law enforcement.
Old 10-01-17, 11:55 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
The front headlight is not likely to be noticed as much as a red rear, even in blink mode. The red is going to be seen because the wavelength of the 'red' is one the visual center of our brains responds to better in bright conditions.

As for blue, it's reserved for EMERGENCY lights, which are on top of a motor vehicle and flash alternately on the left and right sides of the vehicle. I'm sure you have seen blue headlights...those are xenon gas lamps as opposed to halogens and are quite bright (to the point where drivers get upset and flash their high beams at the cars with them because it's hard on their vision, just like high beams in front of their sight. Blue is not a reserved headlight color.
Old 10-06-17, 08:49 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a lot of inexpensive choices on Amazon. I'd say the brighter the better. I don't understand the driver distraction concern. The idea is to be noticed. I don't think a flashing daytime light is going to be so bright that a driver becomes mesmerized and crashes as a result.
Old 10-06-17, 11:04 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you can see your headlight flashing on the pavement in front of you, it is too bright and you should switch to steady on. That could happen on a strong overcast day. On a sunny day, that would be some super crazy bright light.

Otherwise, during daylight it is very unlikely you will dazzle anyone. It is in the dark where bicycle flashers can make the universe wink in and out of existence and blow night vision that can be dangerous to other road users. I wish more bike lights did have a varying brightness for night time use, where they dim, rather than flash.
Old 10-08-17, 09:42 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During the day, I put my front light on blink when there are visibility concerns that would have me turning on my lights to be seen if I was in a car.
Old 10-09-17, 06:15 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Riding to work today I was dealing with a 32mph crosswind, I don't think that bike would work here.
Originally Posted by hotbike
Old 10-09-17, 08:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
keep the front white. don't want to confuse anyone. remember a rear facing strobe too. I added a 2nd on my left drop bar & it definitely buys my a little more courtesy room from passing vehicles. regarding front brightness, get the brightest you can afford. you can always aim it down
Attached Images
Old 10-09-17, 11:06 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Robert C
Riding to work today I was dealing with a 32mph crosswind, I don't think that bike would work here.
The Front Fairing is mounted to the head tube, NOT the handlebars, on this model.

Drawing_Type_Eleven_Cargo_abbe_11_b by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

The red part is the Fiberglass platform , permanently mounted to the head tube. I weigh over 250 , it would take more than a 32 mph cross wind to knock me over.
Old 10-09-17, 12:57 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
All I know is one trail I ride, I can see a local MTB group ride coming from a mile away with 20 high intensity blinkies facing my way
Old 10-09-17, 01:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Sometimes I turn off the one on the right. Battery Box is mid-frame, on the bottle-cage bosses:
IMG_6122 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

I always have the lights on daytime and nighttime .

IMG_3183 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr
as always the Hotbike design language and ethos is sublime....any new designs coming out?

Old 10-09-17, 04:20 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
keep the front white. don't want to confuse anyone. remember a rear facing strobe too. I added a 2nd on my left drop bar & it definitely buys my a little more courtesy room from passing vehicles. regarding front brightness, get the brightest you can afford. you can always aim it down
Alternatively, but similarly...

Old 10-09-17, 04:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Alternatively, but similarly...
love it!! but can you make that picture smaller? with my version I can use the last long part of the drop. the zip tie ends are where there's a gap between my finger tips & palm. my fingers just touch the bumps but it's not uncomfortable. I like the finished look of yours. wonder if you can rotate it down you ever use that part of the bar?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-09-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-09-17, 05:54 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
If you want a red CREE XML-T6 flashlight as a rear blinkie, choose one that is "focusable" and has a flashing mode. Not all of them have the flashing mode or can be focused. There is a really nice 360 degree flashlight holder that goes for a buck (sometimes less) from overseas sellers. Mount the clamp on the frame behind the seat. Aim it wherever you want and adjust the beam. The CREE Red LED has a maximum of 800 lumens according to the CREE website so forget the massive lumen ratings some sellers show. It is an honest 800 lumen light. The flashlight clips in securely and will not come loose on bumpy roads. Here are links to one eBay seller for each.
Red/Green Zoomable 7000LM XML T6 LED 5 Modes Focus Flashlight Torch 18650 Lamp $5.75 postpaid

NEW 360 Degree Bicycle LED Flashlight Mount Holder For Bicycle Torch Clip Clamp
$.99 postpaid

Last edited by VegasTriker; 10-09-17 at 05:57 PM. Reason: honest lumen rating for red T-6 bin
Old 10-09-17, 09:16 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
love it!! but can you make that picture smaller? with my version I can use the last long part of the drop. the zip tie ends are where there's a gap between my finger tips & palm. my fingers just touch the bumps but it's not uncomfortable. I like the finished look of yours. wonder if you can rotate it down you ever use that part of the bar?
It's never been in my way in the drops.

Sorry about that image size. Imgur won't let me grab the URL for the smaller images from their mobile website. I'll edit it next time I'm at my PC.
Old 10-09-17, 09:20 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If you want a red CREE XML-T6 flashlight as a rear blinkie, choose one that is "focusable" and has a flashing mode. Not all of them have the flashing mode or can be focused. There is a really nice 360 degree flashlight holder that goes for a buck (sometimes less) from overseas sellers. Mount the clamp on the frame behind the seat. Aim it wherever you want and adjust the beam. The CREE Red LED has a maximum of 800 lumens according to the CREE website so forget the massive lumen ratings some sellers show. It is an honest 800 lumen light. The flashlight clips in securely and will not come loose on bumpy roads. Here are links to one eBay seller for each.
Red/Green Zoomable 7000LM XML T6 LED 5 Modes Focus Flashlight Torch 18650 Lamp $5.75 postpaid Red/Green Zoomable 7000LM XML T6 LED 5 Modes Focus Flashlight Torch 18650 Lamp

$.99 postpaid
I have that model as well.
Old 10-10-17, 06:24 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by f4rrest
about that image size
no worries, I only mentioned it cuz I've been rethinking how I post photos. what seems like a good size (full screen on my computer) is too large for some other users. also hotlinking from imgur makes them appear larger than attaching them via the forum. recently discovered imgur allows one to select the size of the image when it is hotlinked
Old 10-10-17, 06:39 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by squirtdad
as always the Hotbike design language and ethos is sublime....any new designs coming out?
YES ! How did you know ? Moving from the Prototype stage to a NEW Beta Version , the Model 317 :

Model 317 • Tail Box by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

Model 317 • Tail Box by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

Got the Tail Box finished last night... No lights installed yet, no, I got the Tail Light at the auto parts store, it's 4 inch diameter, but I haven't installed it yet.

Model 317 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr
Old 10-10-17, 07:48 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I ride and drive a lot. I've seen the advantages of the lights in both capacities.

I have a daylight blinker on my front and rear (Cygolite 460 up front, Cygolite 150 on the rear)

As a biker I've had more than one person actively mention that they saw my lights. (Usually as stop lights where they say 'that's cool' or something. I don't care what they think of it. I care that they saw the lights and me.)

As a driver I've noticed bikers with lights a FAR greatest distances than I would have noticed them otherwise. ESPECIALLY in a high traffic area where there are 1000 other things to catch my attention like other cars, stop lights, pedestrians, the prices on the gas station sign, the radio station in the car, etc etc etc. But I'll see those bright blinking bikes lights through all of that and know there is a cyclist near me when I probably wouldn't have seem him as quickly otherwise.

As a biker, I want to be that guy that the motorist sees from a distance and makes a note of.
Old 10-10-17, 08:36 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I ride and drive a lot. I've seen the advantages of the lights in both capacities.

I have a daylight blinker on my front and rear (Cygolite 460 up front, Cygolite 150 on the rear)

As a biker I've had more than one person actively mention that they saw my lights. (Usually as stop lights where they say 'that's cool' or something. I don't care what they think of it. I care that they saw the lights and me.)

As a driver I've noticed bikers with lights a FAR greatest distances than I would have noticed them otherwise. ESPECIALLY in a high traffic area where there are 1000 other things to catch my attention like other cars, stop lights, pedestrians, the prices on the gas station sign, the radio station in the car, etc etc etc. But I'll see those bright blinking bikes lights through all of that and know there is a cyclist near me when I probably wouldn't have seem him as quickly otherwise.

As a biker, I want to be that guy that the motorist sees from a distance and makes a note of.
Exactly! Same setup, never leave home without them.😉
Old 10-10-17, 09:49 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
My criticism of the Cygolites is the company is unwilling to reveal the size of the lithium battery in many of their lights. Look at any of the ads or offers for the 150 and you will never find it. It shouldn't be. In order to make an intelligent choice about which light to buy, knowing the battery size is really important since run time versus lumen output are intimately linked.

Cygolite is not alone. Blitzu does the same thing. I opened the case on my Blitzu Gator 320 headlight to see. It was 1200 mAh and at the same time I learned it was made by Raypal, a major Chinese bike light supplier. There are lots of similar lights like the Gator – exact same case, exact same mount – and they often do tell you it has a 1200 m\ah battery (and sell it for half the price).

I much prefer the newer chip-on-board lights for small USB rechargeable taillights. The light is evenly distributed across the light and COBs are more efficient so you get a longer run time for the same number of lumens. Compare these two – one by Raypal and the other with the Bliutzu brand name.
180 Lumen 50 LED COB 'Bicycle Bike Cycling USB Rechargeable LED Tail Light Warning Safety Rear Lamp $8.76 postpaid Bicycle Bike Cycling USB Rechargeable LED Tail Light Warning Safety Rear Lamp | eBay

BLITZU Cyborg 180T Bike Light $25 with “free multitool” https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-.../dp/B01HOUN7NA
Old 10-11-17, 12:19 PM
luddite_68

Bikes: GT Zum & Fuji Gran Fondo

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
With the time change putting both of my daily rides partially or totally in the dark and a mal****ion of my $0.99 blinky, i got serious about lights. I got a Cygolite Dash Pro 600 up front and a Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 for the back. I also wear a CatEye - HL-EL135 on top of my helmet facing forward and a Planet Bike Blinky "3H" on the back of my helmet.

During the day, I have both rearward facing lights blinking and the forward facing Dash Pro 600 flashing. In twilight or dark, I have the helmet mounted rearward light blinking with the Cygolite Hotshot on steady and both forward facing lights on steady. The beauty of the Cateye on top of my helmet is that you can get a light pointing where you are looking which is great for alerting drivers on side streets that you are there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.