Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boys or girls model Diamondback

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 07:00 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts

I'm looking for a 20" bike for my 7 year-old grandson and came across a 2006 Diamondback Octane, shown below. It's a low profile style which I like for young riders looking to MTB. However, my wife thinks the bike is a girl's style. Also, the color is periwinkle and I believe the 2006 boy's Octane is silver. If someone has access to the 2006 catalog I'd appreciate that input. Any other thoughts would be appreciated, as well.

Also, I'd appreciate comments on the Octane for a young rider recently off a 16" (too small) bike with training wheels.

BTW, I see the brake isn't threaded through the eyelet properly.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 08-13-18, 07:17 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My kids are now teenagers, but we went through a series of kids bikes. Most of the newer kids bikes are being made with more compact frames than what we saw in our generation. There may be an effort by the industry to merge boys and girls bikes, which don't really have a reason to be designed differently. Also, a bigger bike with a shorter frame gives more room to grow before you have to get a new bike.

Looks like the seatpost is all the way up, meaning it's been outgrown by its current rider.

So far as brands go, I've been quite happy with the quality of my Diamondback.
Old 08-13-18, 07:28 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It's not girls specific. It's going to be a really heavy bike for a 7 year old, though.
Old 08-13-18, 08:40 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It's not girls specific. It's going to be a really heavy bike for a 7 year old, though.
I agree that Diamondback are typically heavy. I don't have much reliable information on older Octanes but do know they are aluminum, unlike most Diamondbacks. From information on other years, it appears Octanes weigh under 26 lbs.

Also, I was hoping to find a bike without suspension as I think it adds weight and doesn't do much for a child.