Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Multi Track 700

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek Multi Track 700

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 10:54 AM
Nitewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great information. Thanks everyone. I was out of town for a few days. He sold it when he lowered the price. It is okay. Learning from everyone'' feedback, i have an idea of what to look for.
Old 10-17-18, 11:55 AM
Nitewolf

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great information. Thanks everyone. I was out of town for a few days. He sold it when he lowered the price. It is okay. Learning from everyone'' feedback, i have an idea of what to look for.
Old 06-04-19, 10:23 AM
gone ridin'

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, I've spotted one of these Treks locally and wanted some idea if it's a decent price or not. My son just turned 13 and needs his first "real" bike. I'm 6'4" and he definitely is taking after me, as he is already 5'9". I ride a 21" Giant hybrid, and he can clear it with both feet on the ground (just barely though). The ad says 21" on the Trek, but I haven't actually seen it yet (it also says Aluminum frame, which I don't believe is correct). First, does $175 sound right for a bike this age/condition (if I'm correct on colors, vintage-trek says it's a '96)? Secondly, am I trying to put him on a bike that is going to be too big and possibly uncomfortable for him?
Thanks.

PS - I can't post images or links, so if you go to Wichita Craigslist and search 'Trek bicycle' as title, it will get you there. Sorry.

Last edited by gone ridin'; 06-04-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 10:35 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Hi there. Is this the one? You are right -- the frame material is not aluminum, and the wheel size is not 26" either, as the seller describes. It has a steel frame and 622mm (often called "700c") wheels. It's the base model MultiTrack -- it probably has a 7-speed freewheel on the back with basic Shimano drivetrain parts. It looks like it has SRAM grip shifters (probably SRT-300 or SRT-400 or similar). It looks to be in good condition. I suggest that $175 is on the high side for this bike -- I'd probably be more comfortable at $100 personally, but your specific market may be hot for used hybrids, so the price may be justifiable. If it was the top-of-the-line 750 with full chrome-molybdenum tubing and nice cassette hub, then I'd be happier paying $175-200.

I have a 21" MultiTrack (a 1997 model 750) and I would not consider it to be a large bike. I'm 6'0" with a 32" pants inseam (so actual standover is more like 34"). I don't think your son will feel small on this bike. Once he gets much beyond 6', then he would likely need the 23" version of this bike (which was the largest size). If you like, I can take some actual frame measurements of my '97 model this evening, if that'll help inform your decision.
Old 06-04-19, 10:47 AM
gone ridin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the one. I thought it was a bit high myself, but I don't see these come up for sale very often around here and I really don't know the local market for them either. I'm waiting for a reply back to see if we can take a look at it today. Thanks for your detailed response!

Last edited by gone ridin'; 06-04-19 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 02:06 PM
gone ridin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still no response from the seller. If anyone else wants to chime in, please do.
Old 06-04-19, 10:01 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
i picked up a '92 in chicago recently. ask on craigslist was $150. we settled on $130. no rack. was very rideable but i still took it in after taking it apart and not trusting myself putting it back together. the rear break was rubbing the tire and one of the front brake pads rested against the rim. i could not figure out how to fix them. tune up was $70, but he fixed more than the breaks. wasn't shifting perfectly and now it does.

a 21". i'm 5' 10 and it fits well. would be fine if i was a inch shorter, but not much more than that. i am not tippy toe when standing over the crossbar. don't have a ton of clearance either. the guy i got it from said he was 5' 11.

no one is selling trek 700s for a flat $100 in this area. the two listed in the city right now are both 21" and asking $200. one of those mentions "or best offer." neither say "firm." one listed 5 days ago, the other 11 days. the lowest, in the suburbs, is asking $150. 15", which must be harder to sell. it was listed today. there's a 21" 720 listed for $190. it's sat for 24 days, but it's way out there.
Old 06-05-19, 09:33 AM
gone ridin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know, denada. I imagine the Chicago area is much more intense as far as competition for commuter bikes. Wichita has improved a lot since I was young, but it is still rare to see someone riding their bike to work, errands, etc.
Still, it sounds like he might not be too far off on price. I would imagine an offer of $150 would be reasonable, if the bike is in road ready condition.
Old 06-05-19, 10:10 PM
gone ridin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got a response back tonight and Friday night is the soonest he can show it. States he is original owner, that it's hardly been ridden all these years, and that it hasn't been messed with other than the addition of rack, bullhorns, and extra bottle cage. Does that really look like the original Trek saddle? He touts "full tread tires", but if they're original I imagine they're unsafe at this point.
Old 06-05-19, 11:23 PM
denada

looks like the original saddle ...

mine has what i assume are the original tires on it. they say "multitrack." i'm a greenie and don't know anything about tire safety though. joe at the bike shop must have thought they were fine.
Old 06-06-19, 05:39 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
If the tires are original, they're decades old I'd recommend replacement, especially if they're visibly cracked. The relatively low cost of new tires is a smart trade for the increased safety, not only from a blowout risk, but also from better traction from fresh rubber.
Old 06-06-19, 09:23 AM
gone ridin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
looks like the original saddle ...mine has what i assume are the original tires on it. they say "multitrack." i'm a greenie and don't know anything about tire safety though. joe at the bike shop must have thought they were fine.
Sure enough. Thanks for locating that. Seeing the price spectrum in that pic, does that mean that a basic 700 most likely would have sold new for $250?
Old 06-06-19, 12:17 PM
denada

Originally Posted by gone ridin'
does that mean that a basic 700 most likely would have sold new for $250?
the catalog indicates that the 700 is a step up from the 700 sport. you can check it out here: https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...d/1996trek.pdf

also indicates the only tube that’s chromoly on that year’s trek 700 is the seat tube. at least that’s my interpretation. there are years that the 700 had more of its frame made of chromoly. not sure how significant that is. i do not enjoy carrying my bike up and down my narrow apartment stairway. if it was 100 percent chromoly, i would not enjoy carrying my bike up and down my narrow apartment stairway.
Likes For denada:
Old 06-07-19, 08:48 PM
gone ridin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it for $160. It was in unbelievable condition. The chainstay was pristine....not a spec of rust anywhere. My boy loves it.
Old 06-07-19, 11:40 PM
denada

that's awesome, gone ridin'. glad to hear it worked out and your kid likes his new bike.