Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Spanninga Axendo 60?

Old 03-07-20, 11:36 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Spanninga Axendo 60?

I am considering a Spanninga Axendo 60 for my touring bike. I was wondering how it would compare to B&M offerings in the same price range. I don't expect to be riding extensively in the dark, but want to be very visibly conspicuous to cars in the evening, when I'm apt to be tired and lost. I have a rack mounted B+M taillight that I was planning on reusing for this bike, but the Spanninga tail light with the rings look interesting, so I'd be like to know if its worth running a Spanninga "set" Thanks,Woody

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-07-20 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-07-20, 02:34 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

https://spanninga.com/product/axendo-60/

https://spanninga.com/product/elips/
Old 03-12-20, 10:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I don't have one of those, but it looks good. I have a Spanninga taillight that I like, and it has held up.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-13-20, 12:03 PM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
The light is a good choice. Spanninga bought the bicycle lighting division from Philips. The spanninga 60 uses the philips saferide reflector, which is a pretty good one!. see i.e. on this webpage (the author is rather demanding when it comes to lights)
Old 03-14-20, 10:00 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by polyphrast
(the author is rather demanding when it comes to lights)
The particular author ran a shop on Ebay selling Philips lights without revealing this in his glowing reviews of the same lights on his website and in critical reviews of the competition.
Old 03-14-20, 10:29 AM
polyphrast

Originally Posted by 2_i
The particular author ran a shop on Ebay selling Philips lights without revealing this in his glowing reviews of the same lights on his website and in critical reviews of the competition.
He did? Never knew this. Since he isn't producing the lights, i don't see this as a big issue, but he could have and should have revealed this. Nonetheless, i think as well that the reflector is well designed, the beam pattern is very homogeneous and when it comes to limited available power (e.g., on a dynamo system) it is still one of the best glarefree bike lights. Users in many forums were very happy with the beam pattern of the philips lights. Some things were criticisized (size, ugliness materials) but never the light output.
I never had one of those philips lights (i used mostly B&M lights until i switched to more expensive lights with high output).
Old 03-14-20, 10:53 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
He did? Never knew this. Since he isn't producing the lights, i don't see this as a big issue, but he could have and should have revealed this.
There had been other issues there making me avoid the website. He also posted here occasionally.

Nonetheless, i think as well that the reflector is well designed, the beam pattern is very homogeneous and when it comes to limited available power (e.g., on a dynamo system) it is still one of the best glarefree bike lights. Users in many forums were very happy with the beam pattern of the philips lights. Some things were criticisized (size, ugliness materials) but never the light output.
I never had one of those philips lights (i used mostly B&M lights until i switched to more expensive lights with high output).
I have the original Philips lights, both front and rear. They were a bit mixed bag, particularly front, and the problems might have been fixed by Spanninga. The two halves of the front were separately designed around central LEDs, but without accounting for crosstalk between the halves, so edges of the pattern were quite erratic and distracting. I ride dark streets, where I need to pay attention to details, and this has been a bit annoying. There had been problems with mount, toggle switch and standlight. I still keep it on the particular bike, so the total did not add up to an expulsion. However, I did not buy another one, sticking with B&M and with Trelock as a cheap fall-back.
Old 03-14-20, 11:03 AM
polyphrast

Originally Posted by 2_i
[...]I have the original Philips lights, both front and rear. They were a bit mixed bag, particularly front, and the problems might have been fixed by Spanninga. The two halves of the front were separately designed around central LEDs, but without accounting for crosstalk between the halves, so edges of the pattern were quite erratic and distracting. I ride dark streets, where I need to pay attention to details, and this has been a bit annoying. There had been problems with mount, toggle switch and standlight. I still keep it on the particular bike, so the total did not add up to an expulsion. However, I did not buy another one, sticking with B&M and with Trelock as a cheap fall-back.
I remember now that i have read about the crosstalk as well. Unfortunately it seems to be a mission impossible to design and produce a perfect bike light, which doesn't cost a fortune. But then even really expensive bike lights have their downsides in beam patterns... I am still searching for the perfect bike light, dynamo powered as well as battery powered.

Originally Posted by 2_i
There had been other issues there making me avoid the website....
i agree, there are some issues there with which i am not so happy either...
Old 03-14-20, 11:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I was happy with the photos of the beam patterns of other lights (non-Phillips) that I saw on his web site. I have a Luxos U and an AXA Luxx 70 Plus, his beam photos I felt accurately portrayed what my experiece was. I wish he was still updating that site with newer offerings.

Regarding this particular light in question, I know nothing about it and have not seen what the beam pattern is like, but the better dyno lights are in the 70 lux range, so a 60 is not far behind that. I would guess it is similar to the B&M IQ-XS which is 70 lux, but that is only a guess, the shape of the beam pattern is important and I have no clue what that is like. I have a B&M IQ-XS and think it is a good light, I like the light pattern better than the AXA but I like the Luxos U more than the XS.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-14-20 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 12:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I love my IQ-X from B+M and probably for a touring bike wouldn't do much of anything else. Excellent beam pattern, nice and bright and it is fairly sleek.

The Spanninga Light could do what you need it to do but I find it to be an really ugly light. It looks like some really old battery powered lights I have seen over the years. I am sure it is a nice beam and pattern but purely aesthetically, I couldn't go for it.
Old 03-14-20, 03:47 PM
bark_eater 

I've got one on order that should arrive in April. Seemed like a reasonable compromise on lumens, beam pattern and cost. Funny thing, I kind of like the aesthetic, at least for going on a late 90's Canondale touring bike.