Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What chain do I need?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What chain do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 04:45 PM
tammons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What chain do I need?

I have a Sram Rival 1 1x crank and a SHIMANO Shadow RD-R7000 105 Rear Derailleur 11 Speed and a Shimano 105 R7000 CS-HG700-11 11-34T Cassette 11 speed.

Unfortunately, I did not realize Shimano chains do not work with Sram.

What chain will work with the above?
Old 03-17-20, 04:56 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Whatever 11 speed chain tickles your fancy. I have a SRAM chain on a bike with everything else Shimano. I've used Shimano chains on my fully-SRAM 1X bike. It doesn't matter.
Old 03-18-20, 07:03 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It doesn't matter.
I agree, however, some riders/mechanics no doubt will notice a difference in chain noise and/or shift quality no matter how slight with any combination of Shimano, Sram, Campagnolo, KMC, Wippermann, etc.
Old 03-18-20, 10:42 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
You will only be a real cyclist if you buy an incredibly expensive, frictionless chain that costs at least $150 and change it every two weeks. Everything else is garbage.
Old 03-19-20, 07:10 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by tammons
Unfortunately, I did not realize Shimano chains do not work with Sram.
And how did you come to this conclusion?
Old 03-19-20, 07:15 AM
tammons

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
By searching 11 speed chain compatibility on the internet.
Old 03-19-20, 07:24 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I have had good luck with KMC chains on both SRAM and Shimano drivetrains. Look at their 11-speed options and choose your favorite.
Old 03-19-20, 07:48 AM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
For 11 speed compatibility the chain cares more about what the cassette is than what the derailleurs are.
Since your cassette is listed as cs-hg700 which is a shimano cassette, a shimano chain installed to spec should work
just fine. The shimano 11 speed chain is directional however, i.e. the logo stamped outer plates should be facing outboard on
the drivetrain side of the bike when installed. If the smooth non stamped side of the chain outer plates are facing outboard on
the drivetrain side of the bike when the chain is installed, then it will not shift correctly.
Old 03-19-20, 07:59 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Two things here for the OP. First, when I searched "11 speed chain compatibility" the first hit was BikeTiresDirect, and they state they are NOT compatible but give no explanation why. Second, your drivetrain is Shimano, not SRAM, as your derailleur and cassette and chain are Shimano so you don't have a problem. Only your chainring is Sram and that won't matter.

In general though there is compatibility between all the systems, but the three manufacturers always say to use their chains for optimal performance. KMC only makes one type of chain for the specific number of rear cogs and it works with all three. I use KMC 10sp on both an XT mtb and a Chorus road bike. No issues at all. If I were buying a new chain for a specific groupset I would of course look at the same manufacturer, but then also look at KMC. I wouldn't think to buy a campy chain for a shimano setup, but again, it would work.
Old 03-19-20, 08:11 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
I have had good luck with KMC chains on both SRAM and Shimano drivetrains. Look at their 11-speed options and choose your favorite.
Same here. I do find that on my 1x11 shimano setup that the KMC chains don't shift quite as seamlessly than the Shimano chains. Not a big enough deal to avoid using them though.