Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Cranksets and BLB

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Cranksets and BLB

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-20, 03:47 PM
Pradd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cranksets and BLB

Hi guys, I am new on the forum so I hope I follow your social rules and so opening this topic.
I have challenged myself to buy a new component to my Cinelli Tipo Pista every month, starting in April and I want to start with the drivetrain (crankset, BB and cog).
I have checked this forums and most of the recommendations are Sugino 75 DD and SRAM Omnium (this last one with a change of the BB included). Omnium cost around 250€ and Sugino 75 DD 500€, but there are not much information of other cranksets in that range of price. I have read a bit also about Miche Prímato.
I do not mind the budget, but I kinda care of aesthetics. I would buy the Sugino 75 DD but I am not sure about the aesthetics. I love the design of BLB notoroious crankset, but the only info I have found was in this forum saying that it is Taiwanese crap which has no quality control.
Could you please me recommend me your favorite cranksets that you know for sure that work good? Anyone can give more insights about BLB products?

Thank guys. If this information is available in other posts that I have not found, do not doubt to share the links with me.

Hugs!
Old 03-20-20, 04:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
As someone who owns the Sugino 75DD crankset I will say it is a sexy crank. It also seems plenty stiff and much better for me than the standard 75s. I personally do not like Omnomnomns I am sure with a quality BB it is a fine crankset but the logo is just off putting to me. The only other track cranks I really lust for are Phil Wood Track Cranks and Sugino Super 75s but I do prefer external BBs opposed to square taper.

Here are the cranks, not a great photo but you can see how they look:
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/speci...ot-stock-41417

You are doing the build right get quality components and take your time. When you rush you can sometimes buy cheaper stuff than you might really want.
Old 03-20-20, 05:09 PM
Pradd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey mate, thanks so much for your answer.
Now that I see them on, Sugino 75 DD looks very nice. I might consider them, I am willing to afford 500€. I don't like Omnium logo either. It happens the same to me with the Zen logo of the chainring, I think. Those Phil Wood cranks looks beautiful mate, thanks for sharing. And I have read that their BB is awesome too, I might consider them.
Thanks for sharing, mate.
BTW, can you share on PM your IG, I would like to get on touch with other vegan riders.
Old 03-21-20, 12:58 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
So you are aware, The Tipo Pista does not have chainstay clearance for Omniums.
Old 03-21-20, 06:02 PM
Pradd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
So you are aware, The Tipo Pista does not have chainstay clearance for Omniums.
meaning that the chainring will touch the chainstay? why does this happen? is there any way to solve it?
Old 03-21-20, 08:20 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Omniums have clearance issues on a lot of frames because the back of the spider arms are very thick and hit the chainstay. The solution is to choose another crankset.