Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Counterfeit Saddles?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Counterfeit Saddles?

Old 03-29-20, 11:14 AM
debbieruns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Counterfeit Saddles?

Hi all, I am looking to purchase a Cobb Saddle and I am confused by pricing. I was looking on eBay (I buy/sell a lot there) and the prices are considerably less on many of their saddles. I am looking at a JOF 55 triathlon saddle. Are there counterfeit Cobb saddles out there? Looking online, saddle cost is around $230 but there are some on eBay (new) for $80 or less. I am not familiar enough with all this to figure it out and would love some help. Thanks!
Old 03-29-20, 12:35 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I read the description on one of the Ebay listings and he explains that the saddles are the discontinued style and he bought them at auction after Cobb came out with the newer model. Since the seller is in the USA, I would be more likely to believe that they are legitimate discontinued saddles.
Old 03-29-20, 08:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
There unfortunately are counterfeiters in everything. Maybe this person is legit but with eBay sales and other similar third party sales you lose out on warranty and support from the manufacturer assuming it is a legitimate product. In many cases you might not need it but when you do it is pretty handy to have.

I had a customer who bought his bike online from someone on eBay who sold linens and household items and then got rather pissed when the bike manufacturer rejected his warranty claims, he took up our time to learn about the bike and then tried to pass it off as a new bike with a fake receipt and a whole load of fresh steamy bull poop. It was rather a pleasure telling him both the bike manufacturer and the part manufacturer rejected his claims and that he would have gotten the warranty covered if he bought the bike through us and we would have been happy to help him.

If you are ever in doubt of a product, best to avoid it. Save your self the headaches and heartaches later and just buy the product from your local shop or if absolutely necessary an authorized online retailer.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-30-20, 06:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I would like one, but I am a bit leery. Two different sellers in different parts of the country are claiming to have bought them at auction.
Old 03-30-20, 06:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true....

Years ago I bought a Selle Italia saddle off eBay. Really cheap. Thing wore out in maybe three months. I was convinced it was fake.
Old 03-30-20, 07:49 AM
debbieruns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for all of your input. I am usually skeptical when something sounds to good to be true. DSaul- I did go back and read the description of the one who bought at auction (I only saw one) and decided to give it a try after communicating back/forth with him yesterday and checking through his feedback and other items for sale. He sells lots of bike equipment and not hundreds of the same thing (always a red flag). He also allows returns so if it looks sketchy, I will send it back. Plus there's eBay protection which has been excellent when I have needed it. Thanks again to everyone out there for your help