Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rossin I believe to be 1988 Ghilbi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 10:40 PM
schwinn70s

Bikes: 77 Le Tour 2, 75 Travler 12 speed, 80 collegant,79 FF Suburban 5 speed positron and 2 95 autobikes 73 Schwinn Twinn De Lux with Atom brake on the rear ,Freesprit (england ) 10 speed yea 73 Schwinn Super Sport, 73 Schwinn Breeze, 69 Collegiate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

The reason I believe this to be a 1988 Rossin Ghilbi is the cast bottom bracket and the obvious cast seat tube along with the cable passes going through the bottom bracket housing. See what you think

Campy crank and front derailleur

Rossin front fork and camp Brake

Rossin cast bottom bracket

front view of campy brake and Rossin fork.

Cast seat tube clamp and rear campy brake.

Cast front lugs and campy record head set

cable guides made into cast bottom bracket
Old 03-30-20, 02:53 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Are the tubes crimped? Chorus is my favorite group

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-30-20, 03:55 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
With the round tubes, Rossin cast bottom bracket and, I'm guessing, internal brake cable routing in the top tube, my suggestion is that your frame could be a late 80's / early 90's Columbus SLX tubed Strada Professional model or a RLX model? I think these two models are really similar if not the same??? The only thing stopping me from being more certain is that your frame doesn't appear to have cast seat stay caps that the seat stay tube is internal to the cap as the cap is an external cast lug. That being said, who's to say that some, perhaps early, Strada Professional models or RLX models had the seat stay top/cap like your frame.

I wonder if you can determine if your frame has internal helical reinforced tubes that would indicate that it is built from Columbus SLX?

It would be a very desirable frame - perhaps not quite as desirable as a Ghibli but desirable none the less. As Bianchigirll was getting at, the Ghibli had crimped main tubes.

Your frame is real quality and I'm sure it would be a great riding bike.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 03-30-20 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 10:33 PM
schwinn70s

Bikes: 77 Le Tour 2, 75 Travler 12 speed, 80 collegant,79 FF Suburban 5 speed positron and 2 95 autobikes 73 Schwinn Twinn De Lux with Atom brake on the rear ,Freesprit (england ) 10 speed yea 73 Schwinn Super Sport, 73 Schwinn Breeze, 69 Collegiate

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Here are some pics from the inside of the seat tube. i will try to get some of the head tube.

Old 03-31-20, 04:18 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
To determine if your frame is Columbus SLX you may have to visually inspect the inside of the bottom bracket and/or feel the ends of the down tube & seat tube searching for any helicoidal reinforcement bands/flutes (a little similar to a rifle barrel but in reverse). Unfortunately the bottom bracket has to come out. If they are present, then the frame is constructed with SLX tubing. From memory, your Rossin frame was most probably constructed without the use of steel pins to hold the tubes in a bottom bracket shell prior to brazing. Without the pins you may be able to feel inside the seat tube or down tube feeling for those helical ribs. If the frame does have pins you won't be able to manually inspect the tubes at the bottom bracket.

If you had an inspection camera, commonly available at hardware or vehicle parts stores, you may be able to feed it down the seat tube to see if the bottom of the seat tube has helical reinforcements.

Best of luck

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 03-31-20 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-31-20, 06:35 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
To determine if your frame is Columbus SLX you may have to visually inspect the inside of the bottom bracket and/or feel the ends of the down tube & seat tube searching for any helicoidal reinforcement bands/flutes (a little similar to a rifle barrel but in reverse). Unfortunately the bottom bracket has to come out. If they are present, then the frame is constructed with SLX tubing. From memory, your Rossin frame was most probably constructed without the use of steel pins to hold the tubes in a bottom bracket shell prior to brazing. Without the pins you may be able to feel inside the seat tube or down tube feeling for those helical ribs. If the frame does have pins you won't be able to manually inspect the tubes at the bottom bracket.

If you had an inspection camera, commonly available at hardware or vehicle parts stores, you may be able to feed it down the seat tube to see if the bottom of the seat tube has helical reinforcements.

Best of luck

​​​​​​Earlyish Rossin Ghibli BB with SLX stamp, helical strip (and pin).
Cheers, Eric

Helical coil strip visible at top edge of down tube.
Old 03-31-20, 06:51 AM
schwinn70s

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
​​​​​​Earlyish Rossin Ghibli BB with SLX stamp, helical strip (and pin).
Cheers, Eric... Eric well the SLX stamp is present ..now I will check when I disassemble the frame for paint

Helical coil strip visible at top edge of down tube.

Last edited by schwinn70s; 03-31-20 at 06:56 AM. Reason: forgot notation
Old 03-31-20, 09:22 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
My guess is... SLX