Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is it worth the drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 06:35 AM
Lefthook

Bikes: Kona Sutra Jamis Exile III, Jamis Explorer XR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it worth the drive

It should fit, is this worth a 3 hour drive Lemond Zurich Roadbike - 2006 - Excellent Condition with Uprades
Old 07-09-16, 07:11 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Probably not. It depends on what your market is like, though. If you can't get a bike like that for that price in your market and you want a near-modern roadbike, then it could be worth it.

For me, there's no way I'd drive for that. I'd wait, but I'm in New York and there are a lot of road bikes around.
Old 07-09-16, 07:25 AM
Lefthook

Bikes: Kona Sutra Jamis Exile III, Jamis Explorer XR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep looking.
Old 07-09-16, 07:35 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyT
Probably not. It depends on what your market is like, though. If you can't get a bike like that for that price in your market and you want a near-modern roadbike, then it could be worth it.

For me, there's no way I'd drive for that. I'd wait, but I'm in New York and there are a lot of road bikes around.

From my experience, most Manhattan area drivers think an auto trip longer than 30 miles is long distance, because sometimes it can take 90 minutes to go that distance and $25 in tolls if you have to cross a river.

On the other hand, cruising to Ann Arbor the other day via I96, a 50 mile journey, I noticed my Mini Cooper S was doing 87mph to keep up with rush hour traffic. Of course the last 4 miles in Ann Arbor took 20 minutes.
Old 07-09-16, 07:41 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If that's the correct size for you, it looks like it's worth the asking price. Problem with CL ads, though, is this; will it still be available when you get there?
Old 07-09-16, 07:49 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Originally Posted by oddjob2
From my experience, most Manhattan area drivers think an auto trip longer than 30 miles is long distance, because sometimes it can take 90 minutes to go that distance and $25 in tolls if you have to cross a river.

On the other hand, cruising to Ann Arbor the other day via I96, a 50 mile journey, I noticed my Mini Cooper S was doing 87mph to keep up with rush hour traffic. Of course the last 4 miles in Ann Arbor took 20 minutes.
What's your point? Do you agree or disagree? 3 hours for me would put me around Harrisburg, PA, or Hartford, CT. I wouldn't drive that far for this bike because the NYC market is fairly rich with bikes. The bike the OP posted is sort of meeh relative to what is out there at the price point. Once the price gets over $400, it's a buyers market because bikes move a lot slower and have more features.

I've driven that stretch of I-96, and 87 mph through there is foolish. My life goals do not include becoming roadkill.
Old 07-09-16, 07:52 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to C & V Appraisals from Classic & Vintage.
Old 07-09-16, 08:15 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyT
What's your point? Do you agree or disagree? 3 hours for me would put me around Harrisburg, PA, or Hartford, CT. I wouldn't drive that far for this bike because the NYC market is fairly rich with bikes. The bike the OP posted is sort of meeh relative to what is out there at the price point. Once the price gets over $400, it's a buyers market because bikes move a lot slower and have more features.

I've driven that stretch of I-96, and 87 mph through there is foolish. My life goals do not include becoming roadkill.
No need to get your knickers in a bunch. Just an observation on traffic. You'd be roadkill in Michigan if you don't keep up with traffic. I-96 was rebuilt less than a year ago and in excellent shape.

Regarding the bike, IMHO, FMV range is $475-$500.
Old 07-09-16, 08:21 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Regarding the bike, IMHO, FMV range is $475-$500.
This is the first relevant piece of information you've included in this thread.
Old 07-09-16, 05:15 PM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
Over here a naked Ti frame goes for the asking price of that one. I'd spend a half day picking it up if it was my size.
Old 07-09-16, 05:45 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
In my mind, the drive (with hope and anticipation sitting in the seat beside me0 is part of the fun. Make a day of it. Take a friend and do not forget to ask the seller if he or she has another bike to sell, or even if they know someone who does.

As for the bike itself - pretty nice, in my opinion.
Old 07-09-16, 06:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
that rear cog look small? how many gears does it have?
Old 07-09-16, 10:10 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts

You only pay the toll on the way back in, so it'd be hard to spend close to $25, unless you cross the Hudson from NJ and then use the Triborough too. Even that would only cost you $24 if you paid cash, or about $16 if you have an EZ Pass. Which you should, if you ever drive around here.
Old 07-09-16, 10:58 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lefthook
It should fit, is this worth a 3 hour drive Lemond Zurich Roadbike - 2006 - Excellent Condition with Uprades
It's debatable, but it also depends on exactly what you want. There's not really any directly comparable bikes - the frame is rather unique, being a hybrid of Titanium and Carbon. That being said, I'd only consider it if you know for a fact that it's the right size, and you really believe it's in the condition that is claimed.

Personally, I think that the bike is probably fairly priced or even well priced at what it's priced at - given the upgraded crank and Dura-Ace components. The stock bike is probably worth $450-500 or so, the upgrades probably add $100 to the value.

IIRC, the hybrid Lemond frames that were part metal, part carbon, occasionally failed at the bond between the dissimilar materials - but I have no idea what the frequency of these failures actually was. For me personally, I'd prefer (and in fact I own) an earlier model standard 853-Lemond Zurich for maybe $200 less, that's much more common and less esoteric - but those bikes also don't have newer Dura Ace components - mine is Shimano 600 Tri-color 8 speed - but I also paid less than 1/2 the asking price of that one for it.

I would say this: If it was local to me, and I was in the market for a ~$500ish road bike in that size, I'd check it out. The 3 hour drive definitely complicates the issue.