Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Dave Scott Ironman Centurion 12 speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 02:22 PM
Hollywoodpete

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave Scott Ironman Centurion 12 speed

I came into possession of a Dave Scott Ironman Centurion 12 speed with all 105 components including the clipless pedals. The wheels appear stock (Alpine ~something) The color is Pink and Purple. The Tires are dry rotted and appear to be 20. The seat is dry rotted. I'm not sure of the size but would guess ~54. I will post pictures latter but had a few basic questions. There is some rust

1. Would I devalue the bike by converting to modern components?

2. What is the value of this bike in rough condition?

3. Would it be worth while to save the seat if I replace it with a newer one.

4. It obviously needs a new cassette and chain. Where do I find vintage parts?
Old 07-11-16, 02:30 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ironman bikes in this part of the world go for ~$150-300, depending on condition.

needing a saddle, tires, chain, cassette, and having rust issues is going to drag the price down to the lower end of that range.

Last edited by FullGas; 07-11-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-11-16, 03:03 PM
elboGreaze
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. No, but save the old stuff
2. Need pics, but prob $100-150
3. Not if its dry rotted
4. 6 speed freewheel is prob ok, new chain, Ebay SRAM PC 850 5 6 7 8 Speed Road MTB Bike Chain 114L Fits Campy FSA Shimano | eBay
And , welcome !
Old 07-11-16, 05:27 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Thanks for checkin' in Pete !

There's a substantial thread in the Classic bikes section about these bikes -- there is a lot of love for the Ironman out there -- post a pic of your ride in there

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...aint-jobs.html

Here's one I "modernized" for a friend --- they work amazingly well paired up with a tasteful smattering of modern bits n pieces

Old 07-11-16, 07:21 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Sounds a little rough so I'd guess value is <$200 without actually seeing pics.

As far as modern components, I think the Ironman is a perfect candidate for this. They're great frames but also not so scarce that you feel guilty about modifying it.

Given you want to spend money to modernize, I'd try to get the price in the low $100s. You're going to have several hundred in it very fast.
Old 07-11-16, 07:43 PM
Hollywoodpete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Postos Dave Scott Ironman

I'm new here so please disregard if the photos don't post

https://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Ho...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Hollywoodpete; 07-11-16 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-11-16, 08:21 PM
Hollywoodpete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is in better shape than I thought. The index shifting works fine and the chain ring is barely worn. Brakes work fine. The rear wheel is warped and probably not able to be tuned. I would love to know the size. Is there a size stamped on the frame somewhere? It is too small for me 6' 4" and probably too big for my wife. 5' 4".
Old 07-11-16, 08:49 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
Pic Assist.

Old 07-11-16, 08:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Old 07-11-16, 08:51 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Old 07-12-16, 01:56 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
You have it right size wise, won't be appropriate for either of you.

Pretty rusty example, both Tt and fork, which would be a deal killer for me. However, FMV oas shown around $100.
Old 07-12-16, 12:17 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
It's a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert in the magenta and yellow livery.The frame sizes were in even 2 cm increments, measured from the centre of the BB shell to the top of the seat tube. It looks like it may be a 58cm but photo angles can deceive. The pedals aren't clipless and the missing toe clips and straps are dedicated to Shimano pedals of the era, which makes them harder to find. You may be better off selling without the pedals. IIRC, these used a freewheel, as opposed to a cassette. That makes replacement easier. Six speed HyperGlide compatible freewheels are inexpensive and will improve the shifting performance. The only drawback is that ratio selection has become very limited and won't match OEM. r unless you go to a more expensive option like IRD or seek out NOS. Replacing the saddle is not a big deal for most buyers, as the saddle is one of the most commonly replacement items.
Old 07-12-16, 12:44 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
hmmm, looks like it lived outdoors for quite a while.

given that it doesn't fit anyone in your household, wouldn't invest a dime to repair that bike.

put it on CL and see if someone will give you $50-60 for it...
Old 07-12-16, 12:56 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywoodpete
1. Would I devalue the bike by converting to modern components?
The answer to this question is different for a bike that you intend to use than for a bike that you intend to sell. Putting modern components on a bike like this doesn't reduce the value but it almost never increases the value enough to cover the cost of the parts.

The rust would be my biggest concern with this bike. It looks like it might not be too bad, just surface rust, but it's in really bad places for minor touch up. For instance, you wouldn't be able to clean it up without damaging the top tube decal. The rust around the headset cups also concerns me. If I were going to be keeping the bike for personal use, I'd probably want to strip it and have it repainted, but that's not a good idea if you plan to sell it.

If I were going to sell the bike, I'd maybe see if I could clean up the rust with some naval jelly and a wire brush, accepting that the decals are going to be damaged, and apply some touch-up paint. If that came out well, I'd replace the chain, cables and handlebar tape and see if I could do anything about the brake hoods. Those minor repairs would significantly increase the value of the bike.

If you don't want to take on the rust, I would just sell it as is and leave it as a project for the buyer because no matter what else you do that rust is going to anchor the bike's perceived condition.
Old 07-12-16, 01:16 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd guess it's a 56cm, but it could be 58cm. That would be measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube at the seat tube. I agree that since it won't fit you or your S.O., and it's rusty, you should try to sell it as is. The good parts and frame make it worth maybe $100 or so. Making it a rider would cost at least another $150 or so without dealing with the frame rust, noticeably more if one really went at the rust.
Old 07-12-16, 02:02 PM
Hollywoodpete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys have been great. I actually have a basement full of bike parts including a Vision Aerobar 10 speed Duraace and rear derailer. I also have a neice who is interested in triathlons. I was inspired by a couple of photos in the Ironman Centurian thread. It looks like it is a 58cm frame. Much larger than I expected but the seat post is almost down to the frame. I was wondering about the pedals. I have never seen clipless that looked like that but I was using SPDs and knew Shimano had something different. These pedals were completely different from anything I have seen before except maybe cages which I never looked at closely (although I did own some a long time ago).