Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Concepts of the Madone 5.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 02:02 AM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

About a year ago, I found a Madone 5.2 on ebay for $700. It is the first bike I have had in 40 years and the first fast bike I ever had. I love this bike and never cease being amazed at how fast and well made it is in every detail.

I have done a fair amount of searching on the interwebs, but have had no luck finding some simple explanations of what this bike is in comparison to other madone models. I guess I have a a bunch of questions and would be extremely grateful for any information you can provide in these areas:

.. Pricing - Trek's price on this bike when it was new is around $4,000, about the highest I have seen for any model of Madone around the time this one was made (2009). What made this particular model expensive? (it came with Ultegra group and bontrager race xxx light wheels).

.. Why is a Madone 4.7 made in 2013 so much less expensive?

.. Why does Trek make various models of Madone at the same time, such as 5.2, 5.9 and 6-series?

.. Is there anything special about the Madone 5.2? Trek made them from 2005-2014. Seems like a long run
Old 02-23-20, 09:36 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have a Madone 5.0 I bought new. I looked at the 5.2 but like the 5.0 was stiffer for my 200 pounds. The cost of the 5.2 was higher than the 5.0 because the frame carbon (OCLV 110) was a newer lighter version and more Race Lite components. As for compared to the 4.7. The older 5 and up were made in USA. 5.0 has OCLV 120.

One warning if you upgrade the wheels take take notice of the tire room. Newer wheels have wider rims which make the tires fit larger. I upgraded to Bontrager Aerolis Pro 5 wheels. The inside width is 19mm. I am limited to 23mm tires now. 25mm rubs when out of the saddle in the rear. The front can fit but there is only a couple millimeters clearance to the fork bridge. The 5.2 has a different fork so I don’t know about it.

I had to replace my wheels. The rear cracked at a nipple. This can be common for Bontrager Race wheel of this vintage. The new wheels ride great. Like a new bike. Though I should have gotten the Pro 3 wheels. I can handle the taller wheels in cross winds but it can be a hand full.

Why is a Madone 4.7 made in 2013 so much less expensive? Frame not US made.

Why does Trek make various models of Madone at the same time, such as 5.2, 5.9 and 6-series? Higher number lighter and higher end components.

Is there anything special about the Madone 5.2? Trek made them from 2005-2014. Seems like a long run. From 2005 to 2014 this was how they numbered the models. Before 2005 they used thousand series. Like 5000. Look in their site for the current scheme. Madone is the general race bike. More aero. Emonda is lighter. Domane is more relaxed geometry bike. If buying new today I'd look at a Domane or Checkpoint for me. With disk brake.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 02-23-20 at 10:16 AM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 02-23-20, 10:03 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have some information on the 2007 Madone 5.2. Came in red and I believe the US Postal Colors.List price was $3300. At the time my local preferred bike shop was asking $2,699. Other were asking a little over $2800. I have a picture pasted into an Excel spread sheet but it won;t just paste here.

Some specs I had copied.
Frame OCLV 110 Carbon
Fork Bontrager Race X Lite, carbon
Wheels Bontrager Race Lite
Tires Bontrager Race X Lite, 700x23c, folding
Shifters Ultegra STI, 10 speed
Front Derailleur Ultegra
Rear Derailleur Dura-Ace
Crank Ultegra 53/39 or 52/39/30
Cassette Ultegra, 12-25, 10 speed
Saddle Bontrager Race Lite
Seat Post Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon
Handlebars Bontrager Race Lite VR, 31.8mm
Stem Bontrager Race Lite, 7 degree, 31.8mm
Headset Cane Creek S-3 w/cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset Ultegra

Here is a picture. Sorry it is grainy. Old and copied from the Web.

Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 02-23-20, 10:26 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Trek made things very confusing, by using numbers with decimals to delineate different models.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-24-20, 03:16 PM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I am always embarrassed to admit the Madone 5.2 I have is a WSD (women's specific design). I don't know what is different about wsd vs. non-wsd

Old 02-24-20, 03:26 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
I am always embarrassed to admit the Madone 5.2 I have is a WSD (women's specific design). I don't know what is different about wsd vs. non-wsd

Shorter stem, narrow handlebars, and women's specific seat.